How is this possible?

Options
I'm trying to lose the last 15lb. But it seems like everytime I try to keep a deficit...I eat up to maintenance or over. Why?

Because I'm super hungry! Not mentally (like cravings and such) but physically. Stomach grumbling, nauseating hunger.

Now I maintain at 1670. (I'm sedentary because I sit and study all day, I do eat back exercise calories but I don't set mfp to lightly active as my activity varies) my deficit is only 250 calories.

I hit all my macros, focussing on protein and fat (the rest kind of falls wherever) and drink water all day. I can't understand why I can't get over this blasted hunger! Am I missing something?

Replies

• bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Try loading up on veggies. They put a lot of stuff in your stomach for not a lot of calories.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    how much fat and protein do you eat per day?
  • Fruitylicious03
    Options
    I eat 85g of protein and 45g of fat a day. On 1470 calories.
  • Fruitylicious03
    Fruitylicious03 Posts: 301
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Sometimes a little more I'm in the red quite a few times. Mostly because I don't care for carbs. Not because they're "bad", I'm just always naturally under on them.

I don't eat bread or rice because they don't fill me up so about the only carbs I get are from potatoes, pasta and veg.
  • mcspiffy88
    mcspiffy88 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    if you are hungry, eat. that has been my way to diet at least. if you feel the need, divide your meals.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    hmm, would it be possible for you to open your diary so we can check it out?
  • Fruitylicious03
    Options
    I don't log regularly though so my diary won't help. What I'm doing is learning portion control...well trying.

I eat the same thing generally for breakfast and dinner. Lunch has around the same calories p/meal often but the ingredients in the meal vary.

I cook my food ahead for the week, so what I do is weigh and measure everything in the recipe ONCE, and create a recipe on mfp just to see the total calories for a serving of the recipe. That's how I know how much I eat a week.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    mcspiffy88 wrote: »
    if you are hungry, eat. that has been my way to diet at least. if you feel the need, divide your meals.

no, eating every time we want to or feel hunger is why most people are on this site. feeling hunger does not always mean you have to eat, especially if you are trying to lose weight. Hunger feelings can subside even without eating. Drinking water, getting some exercise, even just 5-10 minutes, can get rid of hunger until your specific eating plan calls for your next feeding window.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Have you tried eating more, smaller meals? If find that I can go about 3 hours on 150-200 calories without extreme hunger, which leaves calories for a"normal "dinner
  • Fruitylicious03
    Options
    Have you tried eating more, smaller meals? If find that I can go about 3 hours on 150-200 calories without extreme hunger, which leaves calories for a"normal "dinner

I haven't tried that no. When I first started losing I cut out all snacks, because for me that was the cause of the gain. I snacked on lots of sweets ALL THE TIME. Like constantly. I replaced my snacks with drinking water and learned to eat just 3 meals a day. :)
  • lvbor
    lvbor Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    If it's an ongoing thing, and you're confident that you're getting enough calories, protein and fat every day, and that your meals are decently spaced, I'd recommend talking to your GP. There are common medical conditions that can cause severe hunger even when your intake is seemingly good, so if there's nothing obvious on the nutrition front you should check that out.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    If you only have 15lbs to lose, set your goals to lose 0.5lb per week, you get to eat more.

Eat lots of protein & good yummy fats - These will keep you fuller for longer!

Things I love - Peanut butter, almonds, cottage cheese, greek yoghurt, fruit, veggies, chicken.

I snack on nuts and peanut butter from the jar really if I am peckish. A banana before a workout is good. Protein shakes/bars

I also drink lots of water - make sure your drinking enough? You could be thirsty and not hungry
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    What has helped me is learning to embrace hunger. I like to think of hunger as meaning that my body is dipping into the fat reserves. I visualize the fat flowing out of my fat cells and into the blood stream, because there isn't enough food in my stomach to feed my body.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options

Maybe try upping your fat macro? I find the more fat I eat the less hungry I am throughout the day.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    I don't log regularly though so my diary won't help. What I'm doing is learning portion control...well trying.

I eat the same thing generally for breakfast and dinner. Lunch has around the same calories p/meal often but the ingredients in the meal vary.

I cook my food ahead for the week, so what I do is weigh and measure everything in the recipe ONCE, and create a recipe on mfp just to see the total calories for a serving of the recipe. That's how I know how much I eat a week.

If you don't log regularly, how do you know you "eat 85g of protein and 45g of fat a day. On 1470 calories."
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

If you're not logging, weighing and measuring everything, you have no idea how much you're really eating. If ingredients are "varying" then you're not really sure about the protein intake, or calories for that matter.
    Unless you're actually in a deficit, which you can't know unless you're seriously tracking, you wont lose that last 15 pounds, especially with such little leeway for error.
    As far as hunger, as aforementioned by others, up your fat and protein intake.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    Oh, you don't log. You may not be eating enough then. Try logging for a while.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

What do those breakfasts and lunches consist of, typically?

I wonder if your diet is so repetitive it's making you really want to eat more.

• turtlez23
    turtlez23 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    What has helped me is learning to embrace hunger. I like to think of hunger as meaning that my body is dipping into the fat reserves. I visualize the fat flowing out of my fat cells and into the blood stream, because there isn't enough food in my stomach to feed my body.

Ha- I like that!
  • RibStabsHeart
    RibStabsHeart Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Log everything and weigh all your food for 2 weeks, and see if you lose weight. Instead of including my exercise calories in my macros, I add them in when I earn them through exercise. So if I don't work out that day, I still try to keep it at/below 1400 calories. If I do work out, I can eat between 1550-1700 calories. This has worked for me, but it's not for everyone.

I really, really like spacing out my meals with lots of little snacks. I have an egg or small granola bar when I wake up, some fruit or the rest of my granola about 1-2 hours later, and have lots of fruit I snack on throughout the day. It really helps satisfy my sweet tooth and give me something to look forward to every day.

Seriously, though -- try doing MFP religiously for 2 weeks and see if you don't lose weight weighing and logging everything that enters your mouth. It's the only way I can consistently lose weight every week.