Reassurance please after gym fail!

Options
Hi guys
I had a bit of a close call at the gym yesterday. I'd done a 5 minute warm up on a bike and then moved into the weights area to start my workout. I did a dumbell bench press as my first exercise, with 8kg dumbells which is my normal weight for this exercise. On the second rep my arm wobbled horribly and the whole move went to pieces, I think I was lucky not to drop the dumbell on myself!
I'm now cross with myself as this seems like a close call - I'm putting it down to not warming up properly- from now on I will prbably do a small set of warm up reps with a lighter weight before embarking on my normal sets with full weight - is this a standard thing that everyone does?
There was also of course a bit of the embarrasment factor - I think only one of person saw but I figure that I've spent a lot of time in the gym now so of course the fails will start to mount up!
Has anyone else had any gym fails like this?

Replies

• rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Been there, done that. I have bailed out on my dumbbell lift on a weight I was fine with in the previous session. No big deal. Definitely do warm up sets until you are comfortable, then get into your working weight sets
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I have dropped an 80 lb dumbbell on my chest that left a bruise for a week. It happens, if you are going to lift weights you are going to miss on your lifts from time to time.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I saw a lady fall off of a treadmill and hit the wall like a ton of bricks. She was at the gym the following day. On a scale of embarrassment, that's much worse.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    try failing on barbell bench press with no spotter and the bar is stuck on your chest ….that pretty much sucked…thankfully,I managed to maneuver the bar off of my chest…

just realize it happens, and get back at it the next day …

• 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    We have all had embarrassing moments at the gym. I wouldn't even worry about it or lose sleep over it.

I just get back there the next day & kiss *kitten*. Half the time I walk around the gym with big sweat patches on my bum......... Do I care? NO! Am I there for a reason? YES! Am I progressing? YES! Do I care what people think of me? HELL NO!!!!!!!!

I pay my membership & do my thing, then go home..... You should do the same too. Don't worry if people are watching you, You just do your thing - Accomplish YOUR GOALS!!!
  • GraemeMcC
    GraemeMcC Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    try failing on barbell bench press with no spotter and the bar is stuck on your chest ….that pretty much sucked…thankfully,I managed to maneuver the bar off of my chest…

just realize it happens, and get back at it the next day …
    Me too :smile:
  • ndj1979
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Well, for embarrassment, I split my shorts while squatting... whilst going commando.

Awkward.

at least you did not drop a deuce….
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Well, for embarrassment, I split my shorts while squatting... whilst going commando.

Awkward.

On the bright side, people probably got to see the mad pump you were getting in your glutes :smiley:
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Stuff happens. Im more wary of injuring myself as thats a disaster. If I cant lift a weight some days, then I just go lower and make a note of it. I know when im trying or not and just accept it.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    if you lift often- and you lift heavy- you WILL fail.

You will get to greedy- or you'll just have a bad set up.

it happens.

I failed a weight I was more than comfortable with a while ago- thankfully I was benching in the powercage- I just had a really sh!tty set up- and biffed the lift- next go round was fine.

It happens.
    Move on- chalk it up to learning experiences :)
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

it happens.

I failed a weight I was more than comfortable with a while ago- thankfully I was benching in the powercage- I just had a really sh!tty set up- and biffed the lift- next go round was fine.

It happens.

Yes. Last week a deadlift under my normal opener had me flat on my *ss. You shake it off and keep going

• willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options

Awkward.

This is my worst nightmare. I do a squat test in all pants/shorts before wearing them to the gym for this very reason.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    The roll of shame.
  • feralkitten1010
    feralkitten1010 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you just have an off day. I had lots of them when I played softball. To ease your embarrassment, the random one person who may or may not have seen you falter won't even remember you or your lapse tomorrow.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

it happens.

It happens.

Yes. Last week a deadlift under my normal opener had me flat on my *ss. You shake it off and keep going
    lol that awkward moment when the lift comes up way to fast and you fall over backwards.. yeah- that's a thing LOL.
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I fainted at my gym (I was 3 months pregnant) - was walking to the water fountain - never made it.........! Yes, it was embarrassing - I 'came to' with a half dozen trainers peering down at me - but - I was there the next morning.........! Just keep doing what you're doing!
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Learn the roll of shame... If it starts to go roll a bit so the weight falls to the floor rather than your face or chest.
  • ndj1979
    Options

it happens.

It happens.

at least if you fail on deads the damn bar is not stuck on your chest...LOL
  • Wronkletoad
    Wronkletoad Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    or on snatches where you can bonk yer schnoz!

from reading your story, TS, it looks like you're really doing great and I see this as a sign of "the next level". keep on kicking arsch! yay!