Baked Possum

Options

Replies

• ViolaLeeBlueberry
    ViolaLeeBlueberry Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    JeffMeehan wrote: »
    Can this be done with a steak or pot roast or is the possum essential? lol

The possum was a joke, but I have used this recipe with chicken.

Darn. I thought, "Hey, someone else with an unusual kitchen!"

Wouldn't object to possum, but don't have access to it. Or celery. Or an hour and a half's worth of reliable electricity for an oven, LOL. I'm pretty good at substitutions, though.

Chicken, meh. Which do you suppose would work better as a possum substitute: goat, water buffalo, ostrich or mountain goat?

• feralkitten1010
    feralkitten1010 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I think we have a "road-kill" law in Tennessee that states you can take home anything you hit. This made me think of that! :p
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Lol!
  • cosmiqrust
    cosmiqrust Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 623 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    okay everyone, actually had this discussion last night as i learned something new...

Opossums are what north american are familiar with...
    virginiaopossom.jpg

Possums come from the land down under...
    Brushtail_possum.jpg
    ...ain't nobody gonna steal their thunder.

• longtimeterp
    Options
    However, for those more culinarily inclined...it should look something like this...

possum+2.jpg
  • skinnybythanksgiving
    Options
    Ummm......Happy Thanksgiving?
  • pizzagirl007
    pizzagirl007 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Oh..thats the same recipe I use for road kill. :s
  • CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I ate a squirrel once...Lots of BBQ sauce.

Squirrel is best stewed. I'm 100% serious, delicious!

• MaxPower0102
    MaxPower0102 Posts: 2,654 Member
    Options
    tqjo0lsshws6.jpg
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    We have those here in the boroughs of NYC. I saw one in Queens sitting on a fence all proud and sh%t.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    However, for those more culinarily inclined...it should look something like this...

possum+2.jpg

I do not believe that is a possum. That looks like something that runs down the alleyways of NYC at night. Yes, the link even says "possum" right in it. But dude, that's no possum.

The word possum starts to sound weird when you've typed it enough times. Possum.
  • MaxPower0102
    MaxPower0102 Posts: 2,654 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    knitapeace wrote: »
    The word possum starts to sound weird when you've typed it enough times. Possum.

Didn't that word used to start with an "O"?

Weird how words change and evolve before our eyes. When I was a child, I went to the doctor for a "Preventative" check-up. Now my kids go for a "Preventive" check-up. They just lopped off an entire syllable!
  • longtimeterp
    Options

Didn't that word used to start with an "O"?

Weird how words change and evolve before our eyes. When I was a child, I went to the doctor for a "Preventative" check-up. Now my kids go for a "Preventive" check-up. They just lopped off an entire syllable!

See previous page for difference between Opossum and Possum
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Pupslice wrote: »
    lololol

I've actually eaten possum once before and it was stringy/tough and didn't taste very good [old river bottom catfish are more preferable, and they taste like old river bottoms, ha]. something tells me that even with all the marinade in the universe it would still taste like it ate out of the dumpster every day...

Opossum, much like raccoon, bear, deer, other wildlife animals, etc...the meat tends to take on the flavour of what they eat. So if you catch a Opossum (other wildlife creature) in the urban/rural areas they will be tough and taste like garbage (main food source in these areas). However, If you catch one from the deep woods, where they feed on rodents, insects, plants, and berries, they are much less tough and more flavourful.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options

Wouldn't object to possum, but don't have access to it. Or celery. Or an hour and a half's worth of reliable electricity for an oven, LOL. I'm pretty good at substitutions, though.

Chicken, meh. Which do you suppose would work better as a possum substitute: goat, water buffalo, ostrich or mountain goat?

none.

Oppossum is a marsupial so a wombat, koala, shrew, quoll, or kangaroo would be a suitable substitution.

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    adowe wrote: »

none.

Oppossum is a marsupial so a wombat, koala, shrew, quoll, or kangaroo would be a suitable substitution.

Kangaroo is delicious, I eat it often. Very lean, quite gamey and a great substitution for beef mince. Also makes awesome salami.
  • ViolaLeeBlueberry
    ViolaLeeBlueberry Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    adowe wrote: »

none.

Darn. No marsupials around here. Some people do eat rat. Don't know if I'd eat it; I've never been offered any. But it would probably be suitably stringy and gamey. And I'm sure it would benefit from a liberal dosing of beer, whiskey and/or tabasco sauce.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    ValGogo wrote: »
    We have those here in the boroughs of NYC. I saw one in Queens sitting on a fence all proud and sh%t.

Those are just rats.