My butt wont get smaller no matter what I do

Options

Replies

• nicoleromine
    nicoleromine Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I lost 60 pounds and I lost inches everywhere . . . but my butt. All of the women on the my mom's side of the family carry a lot of weight back there. I've decided to just accept it (which based on the songs on the radio, I'm a high-demand commodity), and focus on eating at maintenance and lifting heavy. If I can change the composition of my butt (i.e. more firm), I'd be fine not trying to loose that additional fat. I'm about 2 months into lifting (lots of squats and deadlifts), and I'm definitely looking more lifted and round. If I don't like where I'm at in March, I'll go back to eating at a deficit and see how it goes.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    Have you tried caloric deficit? That's the only way to get smaller. You can't choose where it comes from first.

Eating quinoa does not equal losing weight/losing big butt.

What weight are you at now on squats? Also, have you measured your hips?

This. Also.. squatting =/= butt-fat loss.

Quick question: what's the point of strength training? To increase our muscle mass right? What happens when we work our muscles? They get bigger.

The only weight/strength training you mention is squats and that directly works quads and glutes. Glutes are you butt muscle. If you don't want it to get bigger, stop working on it and if you have fat to lose through in some HIIT cardio - it helped me to drop fat, so could work for you.
  • acorsaut89
    edited November 2014
    Options
    No im not trolling
    I do have this problem blieve it or not today at the gym im going to measure it and post the measurment here
    Around 1700 ? I have an app on iphone for food diary that i used a while back and my food routine is almost the same everyday since i prepare my food and this is what i know what to prepare so most days it is the same food only different veges and spices .... I will post pictures but my self esteem is way too low for that i hate my pictures

This, to me, seems like trolling.

Criteria to fit trolling:

- Food is always home made and eats the same thing every day, because that's what you know how to prepare - google it, there's a ton of different ways to cook out there that aren't that hard to figure out. I work 60 hours a week, go to school, part of two book clubs and still prep all my meals. Plus gym time. You can read a few recipes
    - Going to measure xx body part today and post the results online - but you have this problem and have never measured it before? Also, measuring just your butt doesn't tell us anything in proportion to the rest of your body measurements
    - "I will post pictures but my self esteem is way too low for that i hate my pictures" - enough said
  • acorsaut89
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I know qunioa has nothing to do wih weightloss
    What i meant is i try to eat as healthy as possible with as less processed food as possible i stopped eating white bread and pasta long time ago(and i dont crave it so i dont feel im missing out) i prefer sweet potatos and qunioa and whole wheat/rye bread
    I used to be obese so i really made huge lifestyle changes and im proud and im happy that i have no problem sticking with it .... Other than my butt im happy with my body i gained weight recently but it is muscle weight because i increased the weights i lift

all of this matters nothing if you are not in a calorie deficit….

how do you know it is muscle? if you are eating in a deficit you are not building muscle…conversely, if you are eating in a surplus then your Gluteus Maximus is not going to get smaller….

Well obviously it's muscle because she's eating only home made food, which is super always healthy, she doesn't crave pasta or rice any more and she never ever wants any of those sugary drinks.

How could it be anything else? :|
  • nicoleromine
    nicoleromine Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    You cannot gain a significant amount of muscle mass until you're eating a calorie surplus. Thus, squatting is not going to result in huge glutes unless you are eating a ton of found. Strength training at maintenance (or even at a deficit) is amount building strength and changing the composition of your body.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    double post
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    acorsaut89 wrote: »
    Have you tried caloric deficit? That's the only way to get smaller. You can't choose where it comes from first.

Quick question: what's the point of strength training? To increase our muscle mass right? What happens when we work our muscles? They get bigger.

The only weight/strength training you mention is squats and that directly works quads and glutes. Glutes are you butt muscle. If you don't want it to get bigger, stop working on it and if you have fat to lose through in some HIIT cardio - it helped me to drop fat, so could work for you.

Muscle do not just get bigger. The process is a little harder than that or a lot of men would have way more lean body mass. I am sure women would too.

Calorie surplus + weight training= increase of fat and muscle mass
    calorie deficit + weight training= the best chance that the majority of weight loss is fat loss.

• Jessalynn54
    Jessalynn54 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I use to have the opposite problem, I found a lady that would tailor my cloths for pretty cheap.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Seen a lot of skinny girls with big ole butts. Heck, I married one. Good luck to you.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

You don't strength train to build muscle. Well, you can, but only if you are in a calorie surplus. You train to help limit loss of muscle mass while you lose fat. This will help many people achieve a look they like better as they lose as opposed to losing both fat and muscle.
  • acorsaut89
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

Muscle do not just get bigger. The process is a little harder than that or a lot of men would have way more lean body mass. I am sure women would too.

calorie deficit + weight training= the best chance that the majority of weight loss is fat loss.

Then she's obviously not eating at a deficit.

And yes it's a little more complicated than straight they get bigger, but for the sake of this board. . . . So if she's eating more than she thinks she is (which is very possible) plus doing mostly squats, that's probably her answer.
  • Pop_ey
    Pop_ey Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Haven't heard of any songs about skinny or small butts!
  • prettigirl01
    prettigirl01 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    give it to me ill take it
  • AgentOrangeJuice
    AgentOrangeJuice Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    twerk it, there's a girl on the internet that paid off her college debt with 1 6 second twerkin video.
  • auddii
    Options

Which is why everyone is recommending a caloric deficit along with exercises that work the glutes.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I_e15030_998486.jpg
  • auddii
    Options
    I_e15030_998486.jpg

Hahahaha. This is great!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

And yes it's a little more complicated than straight they get bigger, but for the sake of this board. . . . So if she's eating more than she thinks she is (which is very possible) plus doing mostly squats, that's probably her answer.

the most likely answer is usually the correct one...
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I know someone who slimmed down recently and lost weight around her hips and butt. It was due to an accident. Low cals due to inability to taste the food, so likely a significant but reasonable cal deficit. No exercise since her eye doctor would not clear her for the PT she needs due to sustaining and eye injury during the accidwnt which was not discovered till later.

Your squats are probably not building muscle unless you're eating a lot of that quinoa and other stuff to create quite an overage while consistently raising the amount you lift on the squats. They are however probably preserving the muscle mass in that area, under whatever fat stores you have.

Chiropractors sometimes have free first time consults and they know about lordosis.
  • RibStabsHeart
    RibStabsHeart Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    You can do side bends or sit-ups,
    But please don't lose that butt!