How often do you weigh in maintenance?

Options
I just switched to maintenance (I'm in my 2nd week) and so far I'm happy with how well I've been able to stick to my calories for the 1st week.
I even saved some of my calories up for the weekend (I always looked at weekly rather than daily when I was losing anyway.)

My question is, how often do you weigh?

I assume that since sticking to my calories and exercising and eating most of my exercise calories back worked for losing the same will work for maintaining so I wonder if I even need to step on the scale.

In theory...I could just stick to my limits and my weight should stay the same (with occasional flux due to water weight).

SO...why would I need to know the actual number if my clothes stay the same and I stick to my calorie goals every day.

Replies

• RaspberryTickleChicken
    Options
    Congrats!

This is a personal choice & everyone is different.

When I first started maintaining I weight once a week.

Past the one year mark I started twice a month.

And if you don't need the visual digit 'pulse-check' then forego it.

But just something to consider, I think the scale (as dreadful as that maybe to some) would alert you sooner that it's beyond the normal body weight flux than clothes fit because no one gains enough weight to make clothes tight over night.

If weight is not for you, you can always try the tape measure periodically.

Good luck!
  • dindon68
    dindon68 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    When I started on maintenance I still weighed every week (I was a little paranoid about the weight just piling back on), I'm now 18 months in and have relaxed a bit, I weigh once a month now, and that works for me but whatever works for you is the right way of doing things.
  • Happymelz
    Happymelz Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I weigh in about once a fortnight if that.
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Now that I'm a couple of months into maintenance, it's once a week-ish.
  • kwantlen2051
    kwantlen2051 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I weigh regularly only because I want to keep myself accountable and not let the weight pile up.

Do what works for you to ensure that you keep within your maintenance range. good luck!

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Every 3 weeks after my period, but then every other day for a week, otherwise I'm just retaining water anyway.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Every day. Just as I did when I was losing.
  • Happymelz
    Options
    I never weighed every day when I was losing because I would only focus on the number on the scale, which isn't healthy for me.

I weighed for the first time in 2 weeks and I am up 1 lb, but that could be from too much sodium yesterday or actual gain from increased calories.
    Will wait until next week to weigh again, because weighing this weekend would be pointless. lol (eating all the things!)
    *Not really eating all the things.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Monthly or only at Dr's appointments. I don't really have a problem with regaining weight though so it just gets put on the backburner. Until some health issue like pregnancy or injury or something makes me want to keep an eye on it again.

I weigh weekly when I'm losinng.

I find daily to be crazy making and futile because of normal weight fluctuations.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Daily.
    Which is the same whether I'm losing, maintaining or gaining weight. I like data and that's all it is - just a part of the jigsaw.
    I find it interesting to see the fluctuations and understand what causes them. Can also spot a trend earlier.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Daily.
    Which is the same whether I'm losing, maintaining or gaining weight. I like data and that's all it is - just a part of the jigsaw.
    I find it interesting to see the fluctuations and understand what causes them. Can also spot a trend earlier.

I still weigh daily for this exact reason. I used a spreadsheet to figure out my true TDEE while I was losing and it's still useful data to have.

• xtiansalcedo
    xtiansalcedo Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Since I've been on maintenance, I weigh myself once a week, occasionally once every other week. I'm more concerned with weekly calorie goals than daily at this point (one days I might be over by maybe 75-100, some days under by the same amount, most days right around where I need to be).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    The same as I did when I was losing...in fact, pretty much everything is the same as when I was losing except I get about 500 more calories per day...that's it...that's the only difference.

I still rock my nutrition...I still rock my fitness...I still weigh and measure foods for which I am for *kitten* at guestimating portions...I still weigh myself pretty much daily. Basically, the difference between me maintaining and losing is a couple handfuls of nuts...
  • Happymelz
    Options
    I'm more concerned with weekly calorie goals than daily at this point (one days I might be over by maybe 75-100, some days under by the same amount, most days right around where I need to be).

That is what I'm trying to do as well. I've been trying to stay during the week so I have extra room on the weekends.

• GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I've been in maintenance for a few months now and I still weigh in twice a day, every day. I have a pretty unhealthy relationship with the scale though.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    same as when I was losing weight no more than twice a month

29509743.png
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    2 months into maintenance and weight myself everyday. :smile:
  • steff274
    steff274 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Everyday I log it in a weight diary on my phone.. I am paranoid about dropping too much weight and if I am not careful I drop weight fairly easily.. It wouldn't take many pounds for me to have an underweight BMI am currently 19.1.. so yer that's why I weigh everyday.. I realise you get natural fluctuations but I actually don't think I can afford to be a pound lighter!!
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Never, unless I digressed from how much I normally eat for an extended period of time