Sugar is Poison???

Options

Replies

• Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    hmm they atually have no 100% proof out there that sugar is linked to obesity... or anything for that matter besides causing cavities. Interesting read though :]
  • TheDeviation
    TheDeviation Posts: 149
    Options
    I didn't open the link, but I'm guessing it's flawed already. Vegan/Vegetarian sites seldom tell the whole story.
  • Jillyc72
    Jillyc72 Posts: 13
    Options
    Very interesting, I've long held the view that the body doesn't handle sugar very well, and turns it very quickly into fat, whereas if you eat extra calories in protein, the body can use them much more efficiently. I struggle with giving up sugar completely, but feel SO much better when I keep it limited!
  • HeatherMarie1174
    Options
    Very interesting, I've long held the view that the body doesn't handle sugar very well, and turns it very quickly into fat, whereas if you eat extra calories in protein, the body can use them much more efficiently. I struggle with giving up sugar completely, but feel SO much better when I keep it limited!

I totally agree - regardless if the article is completely accurate or not, there is some truth in what they are saying. When you eat more of it (and it's in EVERYTHING), the more you want.
  • modernfemme
    modernfemme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Yeah I ate an entire pint of Ben and jerry's ice-cream this week after getting my wisdom teeth removed. All in one day. Lost another pound today. Calories in; calories out.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I didn't open the link, but I'm guessing it's flawed already. Vegan/Vegetarian sites seldom tell the whole story.

agreed.
  • modernfemme
    modernfemme Posts: 454 Member
    Options

agreed.

You guys must be looking at crap sites. There are some amazing vegetarian resources out there.
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options

agreed.

You guys must be looking at crap sites. There are some amazing vegetarian resources out there.

And plenty of flawed omnivore sites. That kind of narrow-mindedness just means you miss out on some great creative ideas.
  • jen0619
    jen0619 Posts: 414
    Options
    I had never slowed my sugar intake whether it be natural sugars from fruits or added sugars and I am in perfectly good health. Even during my weight loss it never slowed me once a bit and I am a HUGE sweets fan anything sweet I will eat. I successfully lost the weight and have been maintaining very well. I am all about the calories in calories out and how your body handles the stuff :)
  • katyrose221
    katyrose221 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Similar article:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/17/magazine/mag-17Sugar-t.html

Also check out for more information on all carbs, not just sugar:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/why-grains-are-unhealthy/
  • heniko
    heniko Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Why do many people simply dismiss information since it comes from one group or the other? While vegatarians and vegan have yet to convince of many things, like we should only eat veg, I do read all the info then judge for myself.

I do agree sugar isn't healthy. And the article is written by a respectful obesity doctor. Here a lecture for those interested.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM&feature=related that gives more info what the article sums up.

And both the article and lecture talk about high fructose corn syrup in processed foods, not sugar in fruits.

READ before commenting!
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options

Actually, it's the reverse. Your body runs on sugar (glucose). Your body converts everything into glucose so that it can make ATP (your body's true fuel). The problem with eating only sugar is that your body handles it very efficiently, so you are hungry again in an hour, causing you to eat more. Your body turns the sugar into fat because you just gave it a ton of sugar and you aren't burning it. By having more protein and fiber in your diet, it takes longer for your body to digest it. You can lose weight by only eating sugar, google the twinkie diet.
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    Options

Actually, it's the reverse. Your body runs on sugar (glucose). Your body converts everything into glucose so that it can make ATP (your body's true fuel). The problem with eating only sugar is that your body handles it very efficiently, so you are hungry again in an hour, causing you to eat more. Your body turns the sugar into fat because you just gave it a ton of sugar and you aren't burning it. By having more protein and fiber in your diet, it takes longer for your body to digest it. You can lose weight by only eating sugar, google the twinkie diet.

Add to all this, though, that some people's processing and output of chemicals are affected differently than others by sugar. There's no one-size-fits-all explanation here, it seems. For ex. I have PCOS, and many women with PCOS have insulin resistance, which affects a number of things (about which I'm still learning!!). Importantly this can lead to an increase in adipose tissue (the conversion is related to liver function), which can cause estrone to go up, which affects the hypothalamus's secretion of certain hormones, and long story short - makes PCOS worse. Regulating sugar is incredibly important!

As an aside, my mom gave up eating sugar a few years ago---still has white bread and pasta from time to time (usually whole grains, though), but absolutely no sugar added to things; and she watches how much sugar is in the food she's eating. She lost and has kept off the last of any weight she wanted to lose after years of trying, and in fact has a hard time eating enough now, and says she feels awesome. Now if I could only get there.... :)

While I've known this for a bit in my head, I've only recently started to eat less sugar and feel way better.
  • JohnnyNull
    JohnnyNull Posts: 294 Member
    Options

^ This.
  • donnamariemoon
    Options
    bump :smile:
  • LaLaMicha
    LaLaMicha Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    it is very addicting, causes wrinkles, and now they are linking sugar to alzheimers and dementia among many other things.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I read something similar in the Times, the scariest possibility being sugar (sucrose) triggering cancer. I think we all need to accept that there is a lot we still don't know about the workings of our bodies.
  • kdouglas11
    kdouglas11 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    really, i just ate a banana and it was chock full of sugar! YUMMY, HEALTHY CLEAN food...

hmmmm sugar is not poison.. raw, natural sugar in fruits and vegetables are healthy.

It's about processed and refined sugar.
  • heniko
    heniko Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I think we all need to accept that there is a lot we still don't know about the workings of our bodies.

VERY true!
    The article and the lecture given by the author of the article both talk about refined sugars and high sugar corn syrup NOT sugar naturally found in fruits and some veg!
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options

neither does any subject specific site. thats why i dont read anything from these places. i'll read them from university studies or government studies.