How do you get your water in

Options

Replies

• KeysGirl23
    KeysGirl23 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Right down my gullet!
    Really, I just keep a huge bottle at my desk and drink it. If I look at it, I pick it up and drink it. Sometimes I have fruit (citrus, berry, cucumber, whatever) and sometimes it's Emergen-C and sometimes it's Crystal Light and sometimes it's plain ol' water out of the fountain. If I'm not up and heading to the restroom every 30-45min then I drink some more. It's not a fun job, but someone has to do it and it might as well be me. :p
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I drink water when I'm hiking, but normally do not drink much or any water. Yes, I've gone days and probably weeks without drinking water. I'll drink diet soda (no calories, and your body does use the water regardless of what you heard) and get some water from the food I eat.

And no kidney stones or gout yet?

I've had 2 small kidney stones, and the last was about 4 years ago. No gout.

so far. Seriously. Yowsa.

Kidney stones are an inconvenience and a pain for a few hours. I am far more concerned about the multiple other life-long health issues I have that are caused by genetics and a genetic mutation.

Small kidney stones are an inconvenience.
    Personally, I'd be worried about my overall health even more if my genetics were an issue. You need water. No two ways about it.
  • tjstickwood
    Options
    I tend to drink a full glass every time I brush my teeth, so that's at least 2. Then drink one with each meal so that's another 3-4 depending how many times I eat. When it's cold, green tea has been a Godsend. And it's so good for you. Keep in mind you don't have to drink litres and litres of water if you are taking healthy low-sodium soups and water-based fruits and veg. Also this whole thing about whether or not coffee is a sub for water - as a nurse who cared for dialysis patients for years, coffee didn't used to be considered part of their fluids but now it is. But this is simply for the reason that it has to be process through the kidneys just like anything else. It does not eliminate the dehydrating effect of caffeine, so for every coffee with caffeine you likely need to counteract that with 2 glasses of water. Less so with tea because less caffeine is in it, probably one glass of water for each green tea. For green tea there are decaf ones out there and they offer the same benefits but smaller amounts. Two or three cups of green tea per day are not going to be a problem. Hope this helps.
  • tjstickwood
    Options
    PS, here is a calculation you can do to figure out your fluid requirements
    0.5 ounces x your body weight in lbs = daily fluid requirement in ouncesonce you have that figured out you can start to plan out a schedule - mini-goals - taking your foods into consideration, and go from there.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I drink water when I'm hiking, but normally do not drink much or any water. Yes, I've gone days and probably weeks without drinking water. I'll drink diet soda (no calories, and your body does use the water regardless of what you heard) and get some water from the food I eat.

Kidney stones are an inconvenience and a pain for a few hours. I am far more concerned about the multiple other life-long health issues I have that are caused by genetics and a genetic mutation.

Personally, I'd be worried about my overall health even more if my genetics were an issue. You need water. No two ways about it.

Nope, my health issues are impacted by a lot of things, but water is not usually one of them (the exception: in very cold weather, there is a very slight benefit to increasing fluid intake). Like I said, I get fluids from other sources besides water.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Im supposed to be drinking alot of water. But I just cant seem to get myself to drink lately. I dont drink sodas or juices or anything just water and sometimes i add some fruit to it for the taste. But its pretty dull and boreing. Sometimes I go a whole day without drinking anything.

I'm not fond of water. I put a product called Pure in it. I'm supposed to be selling it, but I suck at that.

Also, I count fruit, smoothies, milk, coffee, frozen ice pops.
  • sheldonz42
    sheldonz42 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I so wish the "caffeine dehydrates you" myth would die. OP - I use two 24 oz bottles at work. I drink one while the other one cools in the fridge. If I am in the mood, I add crystal light style flavoring to change it up. It works for me.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Nope, my health issues are impacted by a lot of things, but water is not usually one of them (the exception: in very cold weather, there is a very slight benefit to increasing fluid intake). Like I said, I get fluids from other sources besides water.

Best of luck on your journey.
  • EatPaleoStyle
    Options
    Im supposed to be drinking alot of water. But I just cant seem to get myself to drink lately. I dont drink sodas or juices or anything just water and sometimes i add some fruit to it for the taste. But its pretty dull and boreing. Sometimes I go a whole day without drinking anything.

I love this stuff, you DO NOT need to drink any amount of glasses of water a day, that is a huge myth, drink when you are thirsty, period, you get water from food and your body is not going to let you get dehydrated, it will signal you to drink, so forget about how to drink a ton of water for no reason.
  • greenminimalist
    Options
    I have a quart jar (4 cups) and it gets filled and emptied twice a day if not more.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I love this stuff, you DO NOT need to drink any amount of glasses of water a day, that is a huge myth, drink when you are thirsty, period, you get water from food and your body is not going to let you get dehydrated, it will signal you to drink, so forget about how to drink a ton of water for no reason.
    actually- if you wait till you are thirsty- you are already in the beginning stages of dehydration.
    -
    That's dehydration : step 1.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Water Bong I'll funnel a gallon at a time :)

29509743.png
  • kendalslimmer
    kendalslimmer Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I have 0.5 liters with each meal and 0.5 just before bed. When I started out, like you, I found it hard to increase my water intake... but now if I skip a glass I get this weird headache like tension and I know that I need something to drink! I never put anything in my water, and now, it's like rice: it doesn't taste of anything and I don't focus on it. (I focus on the flavour of the food I'm eating at the same time!)
  • EatPaleoStyle
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    actually- if you wait till you are thirsty- you are already in the beginning stages of dehydration.
    -
    That's dehydration : step 1.

You are right but this is very tricky, how "thirsty" you let yourself to be is very hard to define, and how much water you need after that feeling is also very undefined. I personally don't need more than a sip often times.

The less you eat the more water your body will ask for.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Coffee, tea, sparkling water, club soda, adding fruit to water - all interesting ways to get enough every day.
  • Marianna93637
    Marianna93637 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I make my water "pretty", this way I want to drink it. I have a waterbottle with a wide neck (not like the regular water bottles), which makes it easy to wash out. I usually put fruit in it, or some fresh herbs. My favorite is strawberry + fresh mint leaves, but I also like lemon / lime and orange wedges. Lately I've been putting frozen strawberries in it, they work sort of like ice cubes. Sometimes I just put mint leaves in it.
    This is often called infused water, and there's all the hype about losing weight, and keeping your skin healthy and detoxing and all that. I don't believe that, I haven't seen any proof, but it does help me drink more water.
  • MaryCS62
    MaryCS62 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    It's easy @ work, since I fill up a 32oz cup & drink it sitting at my desk before lunch. I try to drink at least 1/2 a second one before I leave, then some @ home. Days off, it's harder, because I'm not in one place all the time, so I forget.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    currently water loading so 8-10L target. I have 2 1.5L water bottles and a 1L one. I drink them once then I refill and then I drink again. (plus coffees)
  • sexymonicat
    Options
    I drink in a nice clean glass in the morning. I drink 2 or 3 tall cups back to back . Then sometimes at dinner ill get fancy n put ice in it and use my extra round wine glasses lol but I do crave something cold every now and then . Especially after grocery shopping so when I get home I have a glass or 2 of ice water. Do you drink filtered water ? I use pur or brita n just attach it on my water faucet. It taste so much better than tap water.
  • Saberkong
    Options

You take your requirement for water and divide it by the hours your awake. . Mine is 8 oz an hr.. that's easy to do. . So. . I just make myself drink ... though I usually drink twice that