Men Eat Less, and Women Eat More

Options
2»

Replies

• Wronkletoad
    Wronkletoad Posts: 368 Member
    Options

that's a cool question (re: hunger around workout) - a friend on the college swim team would always be famished after the first few workouts of the year; his girlfriend was the opposite. She tended to get famished just after the halfway point of the season.

just out of curiosity, who did the article? what research was it referencing? pubmed doesn't have anything at initial search. Google fu not working today :(

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options
    I don't know, but as a woman, I can say that I feel less hungry after I work out.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    I remember in a psych class once (behavioural psych) the prof asked those of us who exercise to raise their hands if they get hungry after a workout. I was one of the only people to raise my hand lol. My prof was like "oh, well.... exercise is supposed to make you NOT hungry."

But ime, it really depends on the person but it also really for me depends on when I work out. if I work out a bit before my normal meal time, then I get hungry (so if I work out before lunch or before dinner). But if I work out after a really big meal or if Ifinish exercise a few hours before my next meal I am normally not all that hungry. My hunger levels seem to be the same every day, I only work out 3x a week. But I only do strength training so idk how much it differs for type of exercise. I used to mostly just do cardio and would be hungry afterwards, but I also worked out before dinner or around dinner time.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    I almost always am more hungry the 2nd day after I lift. I lifted this morning and am struggling to eat my yogurt snack and have not touched my other 3 snacks, apple, mozzarella cheese stick and granola bar after having a salad for lunch. I think I get really hungry when my body needs the food, maybe I do more rebuilding the 2nd day.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

This was true for me when I was 17 and convinced that I had to eat as little fat as possible to lose fat, even though I didn't really even need to. Today, I find that I'm even less hungry after working out. The difference, I think, is a conscious effort to fill my macros and eat a balanced diet. And more specifically, more protein. (The article may have stated that, but I didn't read it.)

I was thinking along the same lines. I focus on overall calories and protein and I don't usually go for non-fat foods (generally prefer full fat.) In general, I rarely feel very hungry at any point during the day, whether after exercise or not.

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I usually am very hungry after exercise. Then again, I'm very hungry right now sitting here, so maybe I'm just always hungry as I try to lose weight.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    yesimpson wrote: »
    I don't have a clue about the science of it (I know, very helpful). Anecdotally speaking, running makes me less hungry in the short term once I've finished, but any kind of resistance-based exercise makes me RAVENOUS.

Yeah, anecdotally for me it depends on the type of exercise.

Seems like there should be studies that monitor participants who change only exercise and eat what they like. It would be interesting to see if there are differences between men and women, as this would suggest there should be.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Anecdotally, my husband is lighter and younger than me. When we go out to intense exercise, all I want to do is barf when we are done. He asks for dinner, but then falls asleep while I am preparing it. So basically, neither one of us eats for a few hours.
  • DiabolicalColossus
    DiabolicalColossus Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Dunno about other people.

But Mr. Colossus eats more than I do as a general rule anymore.

When we go out for a run though, neither of us is super hungry afterwards.

We'll usually have water and a small protein shake anyway.