Reassurance please after gym fail!

Options

Replies

• luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I generally look like an idiot every day at the gym............oh well! The worst was while setting up for some swiss ball jackknifes. As I was rolling out into position I just kept going, and rather fast, doing a face plant on the gym floor.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I had to bail out from under a clean and jerk on Saturday...

A part of life when you're lifting is missing lifts on occasion.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    if you lift often- and you lift heavy- you WILL fail.

You will get to greedy- or you'll just have a bad set up.

it happens.

I failed a weight I was more than comfortable with a while ago- thankfully I was benching in the powercage- I just had a really sh!tty set up- and biffed the lift- next go round was fine.

It happens.
    Move on- chalk it up to learning experiences :)

Yes. Last week a deadlift under my normal opener had me flat on my *ss. You shake it off and keep going

at least if you fail on deads the damn bar is not stuck on your chest...LOL

Which is why when I lift alone I hog the rack if I'm anywhere near my max.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    The roll of shame.

I do this one all the time.

Takes me several workouts to do a complete 5x5 bench at a new weight, and then when I finally succeed ... add 5 more lbs and failures all over the place. Yesterday, I failed rep 4 every set until I wised up enough to stop at 3. I really need to get a set of fractional plates and sneak them in (my gym doesn't allow outside equipment).

More embarrassing for me was my last squat failure. During my warmup, of all things. I was sitting in the hole and working on getting low, used a bit too much dorsiflexion, tipped forward, overcompensated, and fell on my *kitten*. Bar made a nice bang and clatter when it hit the safety rails after falling a whole 2 inches, tops. It wouldn't have bothered me much except one of the gym's trainers made a bit of a deal over checking to see if I was OK.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    It wouldn't have bothered me much except one of the gym's trainers made a bit of a deal over checking to see if I was OK.

wildly annoying.

failing a major lift only requires checking up on if the equipment failed- or you were completely alone and unsupported.

I'm so grateful to lift in a gym where loud noises are the norm. no one rushes to help anyone if they fail unless they are benching alone- or something fell over. You have safety rails- that's what they are there for.
  • ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    It has happened to me and yes warm up is important but it still can happen just an off day wrong grip whatever. Just keep going that's why I try to use a spotter on heavy weights but any falling on you could hurt I guess beyond pride with bruises etc. We can also walk off a curb wrong too
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    try failing on barbell bench press with no spotter and the bar is stuck on your chest ….that pretty much sucked…thankfully,I managed to maneuver the bar off of my chest…

just realize it happens, and get back at it the next day …

@punkeson - what homie here said.

I had that happen to me during my last bench session with 185# on the bar, I was doing a burn out set, and I burned out hard. The bar came down on my chest, and had to roll it off.

5 minutes later I was benching another set. Just get back to it.
  • dbmata
    Options
    luluinca wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure I generally look like an idiot every day at the gym............oh well! The worst was while setting up for some swiss ball jackknifes. As I was rolling out into position I just kept going, and rather fast, doing a face plant on the gym floor.

Hahaha, I can imagine that. If it happens again, pop up, and exclaim, "Missed it by that much."
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    lisalsd1 wrote: »
    I saw a lady fall off of a treadmill and hit the wall like a ton of bricks. She was at the gym the following day. On a scale of embarrassment, that's much worse.

I've seen that happen, too. Poor gal was brand new and went flying off the treadmill. Thankfully, she was ok and all of us around her on the machines (after making sure she wasn't injured) assured her it has happened to ALL of us at one time or another. She got right back on and kept coming back.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    GraemeMcC wrote: »
    try failing on barbell bench press with no spotter and the bar is stuck on your chest ….that pretty much sucked…thankfully,I managed to maneuver the bar off of my chest…

just realize it happens, and get back at it the next day …
    Me too :smile:

I have also been trapped under a bench press when I bit off more than I can chew. You just have to dust yourself off and get back at it.
  • dbmata
    Options
    I would probably die if I fell off the treadmill, and I've been close a couple times.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    All the time. Stalling is part of any progressive strength training regime.

/thread
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Single leg frog jump burpees- I was going back and forth across an LA Fit gym floor (so it covers space between free weights and machines- and the whole upstairs cardio section can see you)

I may have just not stood up after I landed on my one leg- it just kind of bent- as a shock absorb-er- and kept bending and I sat straight down on my *kitten*. for all the world to see.

shrug- again- these things happen LOL
  • dbmata
    Options
    After one particularly rough set of leg extension/squat/box jump superset, I may have allowed my knees to buckle, dropping me on my *kitten* where I may or may not have puked a little.

it happens.
  • digistyle
    digistyle Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    While removing the pin to change the weight on a stack of plates, I forgot that the bar connected to the cable was heavier than the lightest plate. The bar came down and I took a thump to the head.

I also managed to get distracted and caught my fingers beneath a dumbbell that I was re-racking. Not fun, but it happens.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    digistyle wrote: »
    While removing the pin to change the weight on a stack of plates, I forgot that the bar connected to the cable was heavier than the lightest plate. The bar came down and I took a thump to the head.

I also managed to get distracted and caught my fingers beneath a dumbbell that I was re-racking. Not fun, but it happens.

Hah, I thought that was the way I was supposed to re-rack dumbbells! Smashed fingers!
  • trivard676
    trivard676 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I got a little too excited and my foot came off of an elipitcal. I fell forward onto the terminal. Luckily no one else was there ;D
  • dbmata
    Options
    trivard676 wrote: »
    I got a little too excited and my foot came off of an elipitcal. I fell forward onto the terminal. Luckily no one else was there ;D

Did you get it sewed back on?
  • dbmata
    Options
    OP, want a "fail"?

I missed a deadlift at 455 because I held my breath. I went from seeing everything fine, to my vision starry, my gripped slipped, knees buckled, and I spent about 3 minutes sitting on my butt wondering if I was going to pass out.

:)

PS- Don't hold your breath when playing with maxes.
  • Shalvia62
    Options
    I was doing the overhead pull down and missed the seat. Bad enough to hit the floor but I have an artificial hip and am 6 weeks from getting the 2nd replaced so trying to get up off the gym floor was almost impossible!

After my trainer made sure I was OK we continued like nothing happened. Stuff happens, you just have to roll with it.