Ridiculously strong inner quads.

I don't care if they're bulky. I don't care if I can't cram them into skinny jeans. I need 'em super strong! A bit of back story:

I've now had two knee dislocations in my life. The last one was really rough, and it pretty much killed my inner quad due to the trauma. After working to get it back in reasonable shape, I needed to have surgery and the quad once again decided to stop working very hard for awhile. I'm building it up again, but to reduce the likelihood of yet another dislocation, I need it to be really strong so it can pull and keep the kneecap in place should I twist awkwardly or something. I have a brace for sports, but I still need that quad to be made of tough stuff.

So anyway, I'll be starting out slow since I'm still in recovery, but this is a long term game plan for ridiculously strong INNER quads. Outer is fine and I'd prefer to have the inner stronger actually, so I don't need advice for that. Give me your advice, people!

Replies

• ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    Horse back riding!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,452 Member
    Wide plie squats with resistance.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Wide plie squats with resistance.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Sumo deads as well.

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    I think there's a machine for this at most gyms, where you use your inner leg muscles to pull the weight inwards?
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    edited November 2014
    I spin a lot and I can feel my inners working hard on climbs and sprints so I say cycling. (And I have sketchy knees and it doesn't bother me.)
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    gothchiq wrote: »
    I think there's a machine for this at most gyms, where you use your inner leg muscles to pull the weight inwards?

Yeah they're called add/abductor machines.

I've been working on my leg strength/knee strength/flexibility for awhile and just recently did my first good,deep plié squats with weights (just 20lb) - man I FELT those for a few days afterwards.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    edited November 2014
    Your inner quad? We're talking adductors I'm assuming? Was it an MCL injury or rupture of the adductor muscles? The issue may not actually be your adductors. The issue could easily be poor hamstring and glute strength which leads to internal hip rotation or even foot pronation which can easily affect the health of your knee, not to mention over-compensation of the adductors.
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Knee cap not tracking= quads. I have suffered from patella femoral syndrome in the past, though not a full dislocation, just the tracking/popping off.

You need all of your stablizer muscles strengthened--not just the vastus medialus. You probably just had a lot of atrophy due to the injury and isolation of the knee joint.

Are you working with a good PT?? That will get you started.....and you should start on a slow and steady increase for all things moving and lifting.

Leg Ext. Machine
    Sumo DL
    Heisman's
    Straddle Bench Jump ups
    Lateral lunge
    Speed Skating
    Ski Skating
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    Your inner quad? We're talking adductors I'm assuming? Was it an MCL injury or rupture of the adductor muscles? The issue may not actually be your adductors. The issue could easily be poor hamstring and glute strength which leads to internal hip rotation or even foot pronation which can easily affect the health of your knee, not to mention over-compensation of the adductors.

The issue is stretchy ligaments (I tend to snap and pop a lot in all of my joints due to this) and shallow kneecap grooves. I'm very prone to dislocation due to these two problems, but my orthopedic surgeon said strengthening the inner quad should help provide resistance and keep the kneecap in place.
  • SoDamnHungry
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone! Sorry it took so long to check back, this new forum system makes it confusing.
  • SoDamnHungry

And not adductors. If we're getting technical it's the vastus medialis.

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone! Sorry it took so long to check back, this new forum system makes it confusing.
    Yeah, the new forum system is pretty horrid, going back to what we had would be an improvement.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member

And not adductors. If we're getting technical it's the vastus medialis.

Okay, gotcha'. That's the very inner portion of the quadriceps complex.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    I have subluxating patellas that shoot out the lateral side, so "inner" quad strength is key for me as well. My surgeon said squat, squat, squat. I squat with a wider stance (more comfortable on my knee, too), and point my toes out a bit more (again, keeps my knee from hurting). I also went from a conventional deadlift to a sumo. I still have knee problems and have to wear a corrective brace when I run, but it's not nearly as bad as it used to be, and my doc is super happy with my quad strength.