Giving up Fast Food...Is hard to do

Options

Replies

• nobel99
    nobel99 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I don't give it up. I make it fit within my calories for the day. I don't drink, I don't smoke but my weakness is McD's. I still managed to lose weight while indulging and I'm well aware it's bad for me.....I have fast food (eat-in) approx once/week. I eat healthy the rest of the day/week :)
    If I give everything up that I adore...I won't stick to any change of eating plan (I didn't say DIET...lol)
  • fat2strongbeth
    fat2strongbeth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I second watching the food documentaries such as Supersize Me. They will scare you from eating fast food. I also found that treating fast food and soda like any other addiction helped me stop.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Don't give it up, just fit it into your daily calories. That's what I do and I'm losing weight.
  • SarBear00b
    SarBear00b Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    The one who posted this topic deactivated her account...but why?
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    Maybe she got upset about being flagged.
  • MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Honestly, "Don't give it up" for me just doesn't work. I can't stop at one cookie. So I cut out everything completely and have cheat day one time a week. Try whatever works for you
  • TheITCrowd1
    TheITCrowd1 Posts: 60
    edited November 2014
    Options
    the only way i can beat fast food is to eat so much healthy food thatr i physically could not fit another morsel in my mouth! eat breakfast - 6 eggs, and porridge or pancakes every day then in the day every 3 hours - 150g clean protein, 50g rice, and 100g of veg mid morning, lunch the same qwith no rice, mid afternoon with the rice, dinner - sweet potato with some more clewan protein - bed time protein shake - every 3 hours without fail ! your body will hurt like hell for 2 weeks then you will be fine!
  • TheTiagooo
    TheTiagooo Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Honestly, "Don't give it up" for me just doesn't work. I can't stop at one cookie. So I cut out everything completely and have cheat day one time a week. Try whatever works for you

I'm the same. Everyone has to find what works for them.
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    McD's really misses me now that I've started MFP. I used to be there most mornings for a coffee drink and sometimes a breakfast item, and now I make my own even though it takes more time. After about the first 20 days or so (I'm at 150+ now), I find the quality of food at McD's to be not good enough to merit the calories. You can safely go to Taco Bell and order a couple items if you want, but I'd rather save my calories for a Five Guys Little Bacon Cheeseburger when I'm craving a protein treat. Or, I have found an excellent local bagel joint, and I splurge on a late morning bagel and shift calories from lunch.

Concentrating on quality calories (aka, good tasting, higher quality meat, etc.) has been very helpful. If I'm dying for a burger, I find a really excellent quality burger and fit it in.

Good luck! :yum:

19507081.png
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I gave up fast food because I decided it wasn't worth it for me, not just the food itself, but a lifestyle that required me to eat while driving. Part of changing my "lifestyle" has been to appreciate food more and take the time, even if only a few minutes, to sit down at a table and enjoy it. As for convenience, I batch cook and freeze single serve portions of all of my favorite meals, so I have no excuse for not eating well even on busy days. Yes, I still eat hamburgers and fries on occasion. But I either make them myself or I get them in a better restaurant than a fast food establishment.
  • berz82
    berz82 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    i would say the best idea is to avoid it through the week and allow it on a sat or sunday if you have been keeping it clean through the week.
  • Shapefella
    Shapefella Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It can be challenging to eat healthy and make your own meals when you are crunched for time. What works for me is to eat before I leave the house or bring easy to put together meals. I still cheat but i just make sure that if I have, say, a burger for lunch, that breakfast and dinner would be healthy choices.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Its too easy to get bad/yummy/cheap food through the drive through these days! Any insight?

It's just as easy to get good/yummy/cheap food via the drive through or a convenience store or whatever. The food retailer is pretty irrelevant. Just learn enough and be disciplined and pick stuff that fits your goal.

EZ Rules of thumb:
    1. no sugar soda
    2. no fried potatoes (hash browns, fries)
    3. ditch buns for extra awesome. Bread has very little nutritional value.
  • beautifulciera
    beautifulciera Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Fortunately - I work at a place that serves food that's cooked to order. So I have eggs and spinach every morning for breakfast. I'm also taking Hydroxycut hardcore Elite, which severely suppresses my appetite. I'm like NEVER hungry, which is not that healthy...because as they say you must eat in order to lose...starving yourself isn't the key. When it comes to fast food - just keep driving! This is the best way to let go of this bad habit, and once you keep doing this - you'll just keep driving without even thinking about it. You won't crave it, you won't even want it. Over the past 2 months - I've had fast food maybe 4 times, that's not bad compared to 3 to 4 times a week as I was having a few months ago. If you need to get something on the go - try Subway, Chipotle, places that cook their food fresh - nothing that comes already cooked in plastic wrap lol.

Jasmine :smile:
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    When starting on the path of calorie counting one year ago, I realized the only way to significantly reduce my calorie intake (which was humongous) required me to make “healthy” choices to ensure proper nutrition. I also knew fast-food was a trigger / slippery slope for me.

I still do NOT deprive my wife of her favorites. She does not have a weight problem – I do. I will buy her occasional chocolates, ice cream, pizza, chips and McDonald's etc. and have none of it myself. She has always had those things in moderation and it helps me condition myself. Just because you walk into a bar, it doesn’t mean you have to drink.

I no longer “crave” or have much interest in fast-food, but do order a “planned” piece of fresh haddock from the local fish store once a week or so. When I say “planned” that means I have adjusted calories / choices for that day accordingly.

I "personally" am thrilled about my decision "for me". I was tempted the first month, but it got easier every week. After all, the first McDonald’s “DRIVE-THRU” wasn’t even created until 1975 and I predate that event. LOL

Good luck to you – no matter what you decide.

73641431.png

• feralkitten1010
    feralkitten1010 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I was never big on the fast food thing, but I did prefer to pop a frozen dinner into the oven every night for convenience. I started becoming more aware of my macronutrients and had little control over them unless I started making my own meals. The sodium content was also a big kicker, not that sodium is all that bad, I just really hated seeing that number so high in the red.

You can still have a yummy "fast food" type meal by cooking it in less than thirty minutes, and relatively easily.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    i have tried to do what i have done without making drastic modifications to my diet. It seems that in the past, i would cut out foods only to a) ultimately binge and b) consider myself a failure and the diet over once i did. which led me back to my overeating.

i needed to do this in a way that i could live with forever. because it's not a diet for me. so i still have my fast food, chicken wings, beer, cookies, pizza, and cake...but i do it in a more responsible and knowledgeable way.

with continuing to eat the evil, bad, crap, poison food: my cholesterol dropped from 213 to 169, and my glucose dropped from a pre-diabetic 97 to 82. and i've lost the 55 lbs.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Don't go! I know people say to just fit it into your day, but I just can't get fast good anymore because then I just want it every day. When I did try the "for it in" method, I would feel sluggish the next day and break out on my face!

At this point, I just don't want it any more. The smell turns my stomach and I know it's not worth it. My food I make at home is so much better!

I also remind myself that I've had plenty of it before so it's nothing special. Eventually you'll crave better stuff :)
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not, once you stop eating it for a while, fast food starts to taste and sound really gross and you stop craving it.

I know there's no "bad" food and sure, you could keep eating it in moderation. But if you're really having a hard time with it, sometimes the best thing to do is just to force yourself to go cold turkey on fast food for a set amount of time, say, 30 days. It'll be rough and you'll hate it, but it will get a little easier each week. By the time the 30 days are up, you'll probably wonder how you ever ate most of it in the first place, because your brain will look at it and think "no thanks!"
  • ems212
    ems212 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I didn't give it up completely, I just am far more cautious about what I get. Instead of getting a double cheeseburger and a large fries with a coke, now I get a chicken sandwich, skip the fries, and a light lemonade. I also distract myself. If I'm thinking about fast food, I will drink a lot of water, and turn up the radio a bit. Usually, this does the trick.