Eat even if I'm not hungry

2»

Replies

• I guess I disagree with many people here.

You should eat calorie dense foods for breakfast, even if you aren´t hungry. It is a mistake to wait until you are hungry to eat, because that can lead to eating too fast, and over-eating.

This isn´t about weight-loss, but your body needs calories throughout the day and you will have minor symptoms if you aren´t getting calories until lunch. Things like problems concentrating or fatigue. There are so many minor symptoms that we experience that we dont´attribute to poor nutrition.

For simple tricks like counting calories for weight loss, there is no difference if you get 1500 in 12 hours, or 1500 in 8 hours. But for quality of life, you are much better off spreading your calories throughout the day, and if possible front-loading as much as possible so you have the energy available when you are awake and working. I think you will find that you have much more energy for exercise if you get more of your calories earlier in the day.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    I agree with what PeteSede says. If you're trying to fuel your activities, it makes more sense to eat before you need the energy than to eat afterward. Your body is going to use just as much of your existing fat either way, but if you eat before exertion, your body can use the food more directly, without first converting it to fat.
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    PeteSede wrote: »
    I guess I disagree with many people here.

You should eat calorie dense foods for breakfast, even if you aren´t hungry. It is a mistake to wait until you are hungry to eat, because that can lead to eating too fast, and over-eating.

This isn´t about weight-loss, but your body needs calories throughout the day and you will have minor symptoms if you aren´t getting calories until lunch. Things like problems concentrating or fatigue. There are so many minor symptoms that we experience that we dont´attribute to poor nutrition.

For simple tricks like counting calories for weight loss, there is no difference if you get 1500 in 12 hours, or 1500 in 8 hours. But for quality of life, you are much better off spreading your calories throughout the day, and if possible front-loading as much as possible so you have the energy available when you are awake and working. I think you will find that you have much more energy for exercise if you get more of your calories earlier in the day.

Just because it can lead to these things, doesn't mean it will lead to them. In fact many people, myself included find early morning eating to be nauseating.

As far as cal needs through out the day, your body has access to all the cals you eat and the ones stored as fat, so why does it matter when you eat them, as long as you don't feel a negative impact in Your daily activities?
  • KarenE86
    KarenE86 Posts: 75 Member
    Just eat when you're hungry.
  • ElizabethNJ
    ElizabethNJ Posts: 32 Member
    edited November 2014

Just because it can lead to these things, doesn't mean it will lead to them. In fact many people, myself included find early morning eating to be nauseating.

As far as cal needs through out the day, your body has access to all the cals you eat and the ones stored as fat, so why does it matter when you eat them, as long as you don't feel a negative impact in Your daily activities?

That's what happens to me. If I make myself eat in the morning when I don't really want to, even if it's not big, I feel gross. By noon that nauseated feeling goes away, but I'm still full from breakfast. Now, that's not to say it's every morning, but it is most of the time. I never wait until I'm starving (unless I can't help it for work reasons like an unannounced meeting). I just always hear people saying how important breakfast is, but I just could never get on board with it. On weekends I'll fix my first meal around 11-ish and I've always been ok with that, then lunch at about 2pm. It's only at work that I don't since I take lunch at about noon anyway, then have a small snack at about 3pm.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member

sy44zq.jpg
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member

Not true. Humans evolved eating once every few days and gorging on calories at eating times. Waiting an extra 3 hours to eat later in the morning or early in the afternoon has no effect on health provided overall calorie intake is appropriate.

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited November 2014
    Eat when you are hungry. I'm a hypoglycemic which forces me to eat when I am not hungry in order to keep my blood sugar up. It often results in extreme discomfort. It's not fun :s