Partial Squats vs No Squats

Options
2»

Replies

• h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Hi there... Does your gym have any machines that you can use? I have done lying machine squats before, and they made it a lot easier for me to control my knees in my early squat days. You can do partials, or try to increase your range of motion with lighter weights without having to worry about dropping the bar. The same probably applys to machine hack squats.
    A good way to work your quads and glutes are cable kickbacks... That's the one with an ankle cuff hooked to a low pulley at a cable station. You can't kick back a ton of weights on this, because you will still have to be careful with your knees, but it will give the muscles a good burn, when done correctly.
    Train safe!
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Personally I'm not a fan of squats that aren't at least to parallel (preferably an 1" or > below parallel ). When you squat @ parallel it puts you in a position where you have even pull on the patella from both the quads and hamstrings which is safer for the knee than a partial squat. While squats are a GREAT exercise, it's not the end of the world if you can't do them safely. :)
  • Kiyy
    Kiyy Posts: 91 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I think you will be fine doing them like you are. You might not be getting good glute work but you can just add in other glute work to make up for it.

http://www.exercisebiology.com/index.php/site/articles/are_deep_squats_bad_for_your_knees/

If you are a lay person who wants to look good and love having some heavy weight on your shoulders, there is no compelling reason for you to do deep squats. If you are a 50 year old with some nagging knee pains, it may be better to avoid deep squats

https://fitandfueled.wordpress.com/2014/02/03/performing-the-squat-safety-depth-and-foot-position/

Just something to think about...

I'm 51 and I had a bad sciatica pain problem a few years back.I got to the point that I could hardly walk and I got really out of shape. When I sat on the floor It was extremely hard to even get up. It took me a few years to get my leg strength back. I started with walking, then yoga and Pilates.
    Then I got a trainer and got back in the gym. At age 51 plus I am now strong as ever. My squats are low and heavy. I now put 12 plates on the leg press and press out 15 + reps 3 or 4 sets for fun next I do heavy squats and cycle with lots of tork for 45 min. The average man at my gym can't do what I can..... My point. Your knees are surrounded by muscle. and if you strengthen them you should be able to lift low and heavy. It takes work and time. First strengthen the muscle and it's amazing what the knees can do. Our bodies are amazing. I saw a 82 year old lady leg press about 600 lbs and I ran with an 85 year old lady in my first 5k. Don't let age limit your mind on what your body is able to do.

Oh and FYI. When I started back on squats I could hardly lift the bar without knee pain. at times My range was very limited. I couldn't go low for at least a year but I'm back. I am able to squat very low. I fought through much hip and knee pain that lasted sometimes 6 months but its all gone.

I also want to share with you that I recently cut out most white flower and sugar and it is amazing at how much better all my joints are responding. I think the diet change stopped all my inflammation issues.
  • Kiyy
    Kiyy Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    ncsteve---Keep going. Don't give up. You got this!!!!!!!
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    NCSteveVH wrote: »
    Again, thanks for all of the great advice and the links. This is such a great community with a wealth of personal experience and information.

A trainer at my CF Box suggested that I squat onto a plyo box (it stops my descent just above parallel) and then stand back up. This would take some of the pressure off my knee. He also agreed with Sam_I_Am that I needed to shorten my stance and not go so wide. Obviously I still need to work on mobility, but this method could serve as stop-gap measure until I get the strength and range of motion back in my knee to do fuller squats. Also ordering some knee sleeves today.

A box squat is not a bad option at all; I like it. Bring in the stance, work on your hip flexibility and you'll be fine. Chad Wesley Smith of Juggernaut Training actually has a good Squat Video and has a section just focused on setup.