Embarrassed that I don't know this, but should I be eating while sick?

Options
I haven't had a fever in close to ten years and back then mama took care of me lol. Since Monday my fever has been wavering between 101 and 103.5, chills, body aches etc typical flu. Been drinking a lot of water but a friend said I need to "starve the fever"?? That was easy yesterday but today woke up with new symptoms.... TMI but diarrhea and puking. I'm sitting on the toilet right now with a bucket in front of me its horrible. I was dry heaving mostly because no food to throw up which was really painful so I've been nibbling on crackers and applesauce just to relieve the dry heaving. Is this ok? Gonna ask Dr. Google too but I'm in a bad way right now >_<

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I think if you are vomitting it generally isn't a good idea to eat solid food until you are no longer vomitting for several hours- 6 hours from the last time if I remember right- but clear liquids are okay before that.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    So, you're able to type out this whole post, but you can't google?

Anyways... when you're sick, especially this sick, do what think will make you feel better. If that's eating, then eat. If not, then don't. Focus on getting through the day, resting, and getting better.

Fluids are more important than food at this point. Add in some diluted gatorade or similar if you want.
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I think I mentioned in the OP that I was going to google too, just wanted some insight from people actively online to answer questions.. x.x

A friend just went on a Gatorade run for me so will do. I just can't get past these stomach pains. Being delirious with the chills was easier than the tummy problems.. >_<

• PeterSedesse
    Options
    Starving a fever is a myth.

Gatorade is better than water if you have diarrhea and vomiting.

Simple way to remember good foods is BRAT

Bananas
    Rice
    Applesauce
    Toast ( crackers is the same thing)

Avoid dairy and and anything oily or fatty.

Be very careful about your handwashing/transfer and what you are touching. Like your laptop/ipad or whatever you are using to type while you are on the toilet. Very bad idea. Clean everything really well.
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Ty.. I'm using my phone but I have Lysol wipes everywhere.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    eat food?

I don't know what to tell you. Eat what you can keep down. Barring that, champagne, foie gras, and caviar until your wallet taps out.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    "Feed a cold, starve a fever" is what used to be referred to as an old wives' tale.

It's been largely debunked. Medical wisdom now says to feed a cold, feed a fever.

Your appetite might be lower. But your body needs nutrients to fight off whatever you're battling.

Stick with a BRAT (bananas, rice, applesauce, toast) diet if you're having a hard time keeping food down. Drink lots of liquids -- clear chicken broth is good. Keep replenishing those fluids, since your body will be sweating them out when you have a fever.

I've been sick with a cold-morphed-into-sinus-infection all week. So I hear ya. It's okay if you aren't eating quite as many calories as you would otherwise, but try to at least get a reasonable amount since you can't get better without fuel.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Sorry, OP... I misread *slaps forehead*

As far as what foods... I agree with the BRAT diet.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    'Good that your friend is going for Gatorade. Keep taking your temperature. 103.5 is high. Consider calling your doc.
    (Oh, and do not eat if you do not feel like it.)
    I hope you feel better soon.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Keep drinking as much as you can, keep nibbling until it stays down. No point eating more if it won't stay. This is why God invented Saltines.