Elimination diet

Options
kasiaj
kasiaj Posts: 63 Member
So I'm exclusively breast feeding my 2 month who developed eczema. I have a hunch that it's do to something in my diet. I started the elimination diet (no dairy, eggs, wheat, soy, nut, corn, or food additives to try and figure out what the allergy might be. I have a general idea what to eat (lots of meat, veggies and fruit), but I'm looking for some recipes (mainly dinner) if anyone has any. TIA

Replies

• C1C2C3
    C1C2C3 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Can you do stir-fry with rice, veggies and meat?

Not completely familiar with the allergy elimination diet, can you eat beans? If so, Ham and bean soup may be a good option.

Found this link, looks like it may be helpful for you. www.nourishingmeals.com/2009/03/elimination-diet-recipes-and-free-book.html
  • rgauthier20420
    rgauthier20420 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    From looking at your list, I'm thinking some soup type dishes might be in order. How about a big pot of chili? Meat, beans, tomatoes, onions, and peppers are all pretty safe from looking at your list. If from the south, so you could always do a pot of red beans and rice too (if rice is ok).
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Can you have rice?
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Have you spoken with the doctor about this? Did the doctor tell you to do this elimination diet? I strongly believe the doctor has better advice than any of us here.
  • kasiaj
    Options
    Thank you so much for your help. Yeah, I figured a lot of soups in my future (good thing I live in a cold climate). I haven't talked with my ped about it, but I'm a nurse so I'm familiar with what to do (he doesn't have an apt until a couple of weeks from now). I can definitely have rice. I'm just looking for some new ideas that maybe I haven't though of (like rice and beans or stir fry (without soy sauce of course) are ones I haven't thought about).
  • kasiaj
    Options
    Why did I get a flag for this post?
  • rgauthier20420
    rgauthier20420 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    kasiaj wrote: »
    Why did I get a flag for this post?

Cause people are stupid. I wouldn't worry.

Since you can have rice, go and make some jambalaya or some red beans and rice!! I'm from the south ;)
  • kasiaj
    Options
    Mmmm, that does sound good! Thanks rgauthier!
  • C1C2C3
    C1C2C3 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Shepherd's pie - layer in a 9x13: seasoned browned hamburger, cooked green beans (or preferred vegetable) and mashed potatoes (use dairy free milk?). Serve as is or can bake to meld flavors together.

Stuffed Pepper soup - this recipe is amazing and very versatile www.familyfreshmeals.com/2013/09/crockpot-stuffed-pepper-soup.html

Baked potato wedges (could also use sweet potato or butternut squash) can be a nice side dish.
  • kasiaj
    Options
    I'm loving all these, they sound so good! I didn't even think shepherd's pie!!
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    When I was trying to eliminate any foods to narrow down which were causing my allergic reaction, I pretty much lived on baked or steamed vegetables, rice, oatmeal and beans.

There's not really a recipe for anything I ate, I would put brown, red or black rice, quinoa or amaranth in the rice cooker and add 2-3 servings of vegetables to the steamer basket. For baked vegetables I would wrap a potato or sweet potato in foil, or place a whole squash in the oven at 400 for about an hour. I have an electric pressure cooker, so I usually cooked dried beans 2-3 times a day. It was only for a few months so I had oatmeal with flax and dried berries for breakfast everyday.

I dressed it up with spices that I was sure of, or would sometimes add a vegetable based butter but mostly kept everything as limited ingredient-wise as possible.
  • kasiaj
    Options
    Yeah, I'm only doing it for 2 months to see if I can see improvements (which I think I already do), after that, I'm going to introduce one thing at a time to see which it is (I have a hunch it's dairy, but it also could be wheat and maybe even eggs). Hopefully it's just one category and not a combination. I'd rather find out now though than later when he's on solids.
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    kasiaj wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm only doing it for 2 months to see if I can see improvements (which I think I already do), after that, I'm going to introduce one thing at a time to see which it is (I have a hunch it's dairy, but it also could be wheat and maybe even eggs). Hopefully it's just one category and not a combination. I'd rather find out now though than later when he's on solids.

It may be dairy, that was what caused it for my niece but we already suspected it because many people in our family are lactose intolerant. It must be harder for you to find things while breastfeeding because there are already so many things they suggest avoiding to lessen the chances of colic.