Depression and food

Options
kaystep33
kaystep33 Posts: 20 Member
edited November 2014 in Motivation and Support
Any advice on how to avoid binge eating due to depression. I can feel myself slipping and I am trying to keep it together.

Replies

• Jerseygrrl
    Jerseygrrl Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    First, are you talking to / working with someone to help you with your depression: counselor, therapist, doctor, pastor? If not, please do. Depression is not something to take lightly.

I wish there was a magic formula to avoid binge eating, but there isn't. For some people, a distraction works, i.e. taking a walk when you feel the urge. For others, it seems talking themselves through it can stop the binging - figure out what is causing the urge at that particular moment, and dealing with it instead of heading for food.
    -
    I really encourage you to work with someone on the depression and the binge eating that is resulting from it.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Jerseygrrl wrote: »
    First, are you talking to / working with someone to help you with your depression: counselor, therapist, doctor, pastor? If not, please do. Depression is not something to take lightly.

I wish there was a magic formula to avoid binge eating, but there isn't. For some people, a distraction works, i.e. taking a walk when you feel the urge. For others, it seems talking themselves through it can stop the binging - figure out what is causing the urge at that particular moment, and dealing with it instead of heading for food.
    -
    I really encourage you to work with someone on the depression and the binge eating that is resulting from it.

I agree with Jerseygrrl.

In my case when I finally cut out sugar as in totally nothing sweet even fruit my desire to binge eat until it hurt really bad left me totally and that was two months ago. For some reason I just have no desire to binge on say coconut oil or eat 6 hamburgers with no bun. A box of cupcakes, fig bars, entire chocolate cake, etc, etc would be gone before I stopped. I could even keep eating setting on the commode to share more than you wished to know I expect. Bingeing is real. Not sure if I just had a bad carb addiction or what but the bingeing urge is gone now for the past two months (that was when I stopped eating sugar laced foods).

Yes there can be many other causes and professional attention can help if it is more than diet related. Actually it was worse in my case when the stress got high especially if it were humans that I was permitting to stress me. I guess I was just abusing food to get even with others perhaps. Well in my case the problem is gone and hope you find a solution soon.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    If you actually have depression you should talk to a doctor about it. They can help you with serious problems.

If you are just eating because you are sad (relationship issues, school issues, every day stresses) then you need to find something to keep yourself busy and work on that will power.

There isn't much to say beyond that.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    One things to do is to get a good handle on the depression. That will help with food. Get some exercise like walking or yoga.Work with a good therapist and so on.
  • benkarlin
    Options
    Raised my hand for this one. Been there, well, still there but I do have to tell you a few things I have learned.

1. If you haven't seen a professional about it, yes, do so but be prepared for medical management instead of laying on the couch and talking about your parents. That only happens in old movies.
    2. Most of the medicines will have weight gain or increased appetite as side effects. Make certain you talk to your prescribing doc about how important keeping a handle on this is to you.
    3. Most medicines are prescribed at average levels to see what effect they have on you. It takes about 2 weeks for each drug or adjustment to become effective so the process of finding the right ones and the right levels can take months. Don't give up and don't give in. The medicines are lifesavers for loads of people. Pray you will be one of those and be patient.

The single best help to fight binge eating is keeping a food journal. For me, it isn't looking at the totals that is effective. It is the simple act of having to account for every TicTac and cup of coffee that makes me mindful. Keep your journal strictly and be aware that most people underestimate how much, how often, and the calorie count of their food. Try to be as scrupulous and honest and accurate as you can.

If you aren't sure what a half-cup serving looks like, get a half-cup and measure it. Is there that big a difference between a soupspoonful of sour cream and a tablesponful? Measure them and see.

There are going to be triggers that throw you offtrack and get you bingeing. Just write the food in your food diary and get back on track later that day. Never tell yourself the damage is done so you may as well give up. This isn't target practice and there is no damage. This is a whole new way of getting control of part of your life, you learned something new and you are still on track.

Remember that what you eat, what you look like, how you feel in one moment... these are not things that define you. You, I am sure, are a fascinating person with great qualities and a delight to be with. You are NOT what you eat. You are making a decision to be in control of what you eat without being enslaved by it. It does not and will not control your life although you are going to make adjustments to ensure that.

One other thing about depression: It does go away. Often it comes back but it will go away again. I promise you this. This is from more than 30 years experience and checking in with countless other depressed people. Feeling good doesn't last but neither does feeling bad. It does go away. I am so sorry you are saddled with this one. It is so brutal I wouldn't wish it on anyone.