Never any equipment available

Options
Hi. I have tried several times to start the 5x5 program at my gym. However, each time I can never get any equipment. The gym is always so busy with guys staying on each piece of equipment FOREVER and taking what seems like 10 minute breaks between sets I would be there for hours and hours just waiting around. I can't find a new gym as I am locked in a contract for the next 18 months. Has anyone else ever run into this. I really wanted to try this program but I guess it isn't going to happen.

Replies

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    That's not fair! Ask at the desk if there is a time limit or sign up sheet.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    You can always ask the guys/girls to work in while they are resting between sets.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    deninevi wrote: »
    You can always ask the guys/girls to work in while they are resting between sets.

This or go at another time.
  • RosaileenB
    RosaileenB Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Yes, I would ask. I know it can be intimidating at first but it gets easier. You're paying for the equipment too!
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Just ask. I can be one of the biggest rack hogs but am more then happy to let you work in if you ask
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    If they're resting between sets - and they are for a reason, not just to piss you off - ask to work in.

I'll admit I'm spoiled and have a home gym, so I never wait. I highly recommend it if you have the space and some cash.
  • FitnessTrainer69
    FitnessTrainer69 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I ask first and if turned away then just be an *kitten* and set down as soon as they get up. What are they really going to do?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    deninevi wrote: »

This or go at another time.

Yeap.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    If the gym cant give you access to equipment then id complain and ask to be let out of your contract. There will be some state/ county consumer leislation that you should be able to apply. Id then find a more suitable gym.

If I had to stay at that gym then its self confidence and just asking if they have finished when it appears they have. Ive always found people polite and they know they are hogging unreasonably. If they wont budge, then that gives you further grounds to make a complaint.

If there are other gyms then I would engineer a move and choose carefully.
  • granturismo
    granturismo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    'Working in' while they rest is recognised gym etiquette, if they have a problem with it, complain to the management.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    If the gym cant give you access to equipment then id complain and ask to be let out of your contract. There will be some state/ county consumer leislation that you should be able to apply. Id then find a more suitable gym.

Whoa!! Instead of calling congress, maybe just ask to work in. I found that most people are actually very polite and don't mind if you work in while they are resting between sets.

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I always let people work in on the smith machine while I'm deadlifting.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    Why would you lock yourself in for 18 months?
  • dbmata
    Options
    Why would you lock yourself in for 18 months?

The gym knows what they were selling.

I'd always question a gym with a lock in. That sucks.
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Maybe go at a different time? One of the reasons I love my morning workouts is not having to wait for equipment!
  • dbmata
    Options
    You know what OP, screw it.

Do this.

6e992ea984adbea6823df2815433a131.jpg
  • FullOnBurn
    FullOnBurn Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    CipherZero wrote: »

I'll admit I'm spoiled and have a home gym, so I never wait. I highly recommend it if you have the space and some cash.

+1 on this. For the price of a membership you can get your own rack, barbell, weights. All you need is a bit of space, about 35-40 sq feet
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »

If I had to stay at that gym then its self confidence and just asking if they have finished when it appears they have. Ive always found people polite and they know they are hogging unreasonably. If they wont budge, then that gives you further grounds to make a complaint.

LOL what? Get let out of a contract because the gym is busy and people are using equipment?

OP: Just ask them if you can work in. I guarantee they'll be nice about it, especially if they are just resting between sets.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Hey- I got a year of free membership b/c they reduced the gym hours- and the only reason I paid to use the gym was for the aerobics room to drill/dance in- with the reduced hours- the only time after work was between 845- 9 PM closing.

I was PIS#ED. So I mean- it's always worth a shot!! LOL

I moved soon- and my year membership became wildly useful to me b/c the Bally's near my new place had longer hours.

Otherwise- go at a different time- or ask to work in.