Thoughts on aspartame while dieting?

Options
I've never been a huge fan of diet coke or anything like that. I've always gone for the real thing. But I really love artificial water sweeteners.. even when I'm not dieting. I just love how portable the squirt bottles are. I'm a huge fan of Mio, and the Koolaid ones are great to satisfy my sweet tooth and want to spoil myself a little.

What about you guys?

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Just make sure to drink more water to make up for the water it negates
  • lkniebuehler
    Options
    I have found that when I don't have any artificial sweeteners for a week or so, I crave food a lot less, making life a bit easier.
  • Just make sure to drink more water to make up for the water it negates

What do you mean by this?
  • fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Sure I drink that stuff. My doctor says I should just drink water instead but what does he know
  • Autumn_babe
    Options
    I used to drink a lot of those sorts of things, like Crystal Light and put artificial sweeteners in my coffee. Then I was told by my doctor that it could be the cause behind some of the digestive issues I was having. I was consuming large quantities of it, which was causing severe bloating for me. Once I cut them out of my diet, I've noticed a significant reduction in bloat. Also, they trick your brain because you taste the sweetness, so your brain expect calories to go with it, and when it doesn't get those calories, it leads you to feel hungrier and potentially overeat later on because of that. I've been told it's better to actually just use a little of the regular sugar vs. a lot of the artificial sweeteners. But, I think anything in moderation would be ok. If you crave one every once in a while, I don't see much harm in using some. Just don't go overboard :)
  • I used to drink a lot of those sorts of things, like Crystal Light and put artificial sweeteners in my coffee. Then I was told by my doctor that it could be the cause behind some of the digestive issues I was having. I was consuming large quantities of it, which was causing severe bloating for me. Once I cut them out of my diet, I've noticed a significant reduction in bloat. Also, they trick your brain because you taste the sweetness, so your brain expect calories to go with it, and when it doesn't get those calories, it leads you to feel hungrier and potentially overeat later on because of that. I've been told it's better to actually just use a little of the regular sugar vs. a lot of the artificial sweeteners. But, I think anything in moderation would be ok. If you crave one every once in a while, I don't see much harm in using some. Just don't go overboard :)

Wow!! Great answer! Something to think about..
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    There is so much misinformation about astpartame/splenda out there I don't even know where to start. It's been tested over and over and the protests are anecdotal or pseudo-science.

How about "everything in moderation"? I certainly find artificial sweeteners helpful to stave off boredom. Or sometimes I just put a spritz of lemon juice in my water. I change it up and don't stress over it.
  • jgnatca wrote: »
    There is so much misinformation about astpartame/splenda out there I don't even know where to start. It's been tested over and over and the protests are anecdotal or pseudo-science.

How about "everything in moderation"? I certainly find artificial sweeteners helpful to stave off boredom. Or sometimes I just put a spritz of lemon juice in my water. I change it up and don't stress over it.

I'm certainly not stressing over it. I have 2 mio bottles currently in my fridge. Just curious as to other peoples thoughts.
  • eat_hike_b33r
    eat_hike_b33r Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    While this is not definitive yet, I personally would never advise people to drink artificial sweeteners because some of the research into how fake sweeteners mess with our brains is not looking good IMO.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/artificial-sweeteners-linked-to-obesity-epidemic-scientists-say-1.2769196

A possible alternative is sweetening your water with stevia or just continue to occasionally treat yourself to small amounts of 'the real thing' as it tastes better anyways!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    passwordprotect, I did not in any way mean to imply that YOU were stressing over it. It's just, well, this topic will bring out polarized opinions.

Which brings me to...Storble. Stevia hasn't been tested nearly as thoroughly as Aspartame, yet people seem to trust it. Is this because it is perceived as being relatively "natural"? The only way Stevia squeaked by the FDA was by listing itself as a supplement rather than an artificial sweetener.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I use multiple packets of sweet n low daily for my coffee and have for many years. I used it all while I was overweight, and I've continued to use it while losing almost 60 pounds.

It has zero calories and doesn't coat my teeth and that's why I use it. I've never noticed any kind of pattern of craving food due to having an artificially sweetened coffee or cola, or of "feeling tricked" physiologically like how, say, salivation happens when you smell good food, but if you don't eat any then hunger pains can begin. I get no such reaction or anything similar to it from drinking my artificially sweetened beverages.
    This idea of being "tricked" into eating sounds similar to the Twinkie defense. "The artificial sweeteners made me do it..." Sure..
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    While you are very young you can get away with doing bad food. At 63 I was so toxic I finally decided to dump stuff like that. Stevia I understand is OK but now that I eat no sugar it is just about too sweet to taste good. livescience.com/39601-stevia-facts-safety.html
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,672 Member
    Options
    While you are very young you can get away with doing bad food. At 63 I was so toxic I finally decided to dump stuff like that. Stevia I understand is OK but now that I eat no sugar it is just about too sweet to taste good. livescience.com/39601-stevia-facts-safety.html
    Toxic would need medical attention. And there's no study supporting that ingesting artificial sweeteners past a certain age is undesirable.
    Personally I've drank diet Pepsi for over 25+ years now and haven't succumbed to the issues that many anti-artificial sweetener supporters contest will happen.
    Stick to the science. If used in moderation, there's really no issue with it for the general public.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Figure out what works for you. Some folks tolerate it well, some not so well. Lots of things are like that. If you like it and it likes you...so be it.
  • eat_hike_b33r
    eat_hike_b33r Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I realize that some people like artificial sweeteners and by all means people should use them if they want but in "stick[ing] to the science"...
    Published in NATURE: Artificial sweeteners induce glucose intolerance by altering the gut microbiota

NAS in humans associate with impaired glucose tolerance:

Basically they took healthy volunteers that normally did not consume artificial sweeteners and got them to consume them - after 7 days 4/7 of the volunteers "developed significantly poorer glycaemic responses" - this is compared to their normal response after only a week...

Non-caloric artificial sweeteners =(NAS)

Also they found in long term consumers - (non-diabetic): "significant positive correlations between NAS consumption and several metabolic-syndrome-related clinical parameters, including increased weight and waist-to-hip ratio; higher fasting blood glucose, glycosylated haemoglobin (HbA1C%) and glucose tolerance test (GTT, measures of impaired glucose tolerance), and elevated serum alanine aminotransferase (ALT, measure of hepatic damage that is likely to be secondary, in this context, to non-alcoholic fatty liver disease). Moreover, the levels of glycosylated haemoglobin (HbA1C%), indicative of glucose concentration over the previous 3 months, were significantly increased when comparing a subgroup of high NAS consumers (40 individuals) to non- NAS consumers (236 individuals. This increase remained significant when corrected to body mass index (BMI) levels...
    ---
    And this is only one of *many* studies that show possible negative effects on health (including changes in the way our brains function!).
    I don't believe in anecdotal evidence - I just think that the human body is complicated and no one can for sure say that artificial sweeteners are 'healthy' or 'safe' - maybe you won't drop dead from having them, but I personally would not consume them. Each of us are entitled to form our own opinion and do a risk-benefit analysis for ourselves though:)

Sorry for the long post...
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

Did you go to the hospital?
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Gives me migraines.
  • justaboat
    justaboat Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It causes carb cravings
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Most of the squirtable water flavorings aren't sweetened with aspartame. Some even have small amounts of honey or cane sugar, others have sucralose. Check the ingredients. I use them constantly.