13»

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    adowe wrote: »
    JeffMeehan wrote: »
    Can this be done with a steak or pot roast or is the possum essential? lol

The possum was a joke, but I have used this recipe with chicken.

Darn. I thought, "Hey, someone else with an unusual kitchen!"

Wouldn't object to possum, but don't have access to it. Or celery. Or an hour and a half's worth of reliable electricity for an oven, LOL. I'm pretty good at substitutions, though.

Chicken, meh. Which do you suppose would work better as a possum substitute: goat, water buffalo, ostrich or mountain goat?

none.

Oppossum is a marsupial so a wombat, koala, shrew, quoll, or kangaroo would be a suitable substitution.

Darn. No marsupials around here. Some people do eat rat. Don't know if I'd eat it; I've never been offered any. But it would probably be suitably stringy and gamey. And I'm sure it would benefit from a liberal dosing of beer, whiskey and/or tabasco sauce.

Gross. :sick:
  • CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    Options

Wouldn't object to possum, but don't have access to it. Or celery. Or an hour and a half's worth of reliable electricity for an oven, LOL. I'm pretty good at substitutions, though.

Chicken, meh. Which do you suppose would work better as a possum substitute: goat, water buffalo, ostrich or mountain goat?

none.

Oppossum is a marsupial so a wombat, koala, shrew, quoll, or kangaroo would be a suitable substitution.

Darn. No marsupials around here. Some people do eat rat. Don't know if I'd eat it; I've never been offered any. But it would probably be suitably stringy and gamey. And I'm sure it would benefit from a liberal dosing of beer, whiskey and/or tabasco sauce.

Grilled on a stick with teriyaki sauce, tastes like chicken... nom nom nom
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options

none.

clinteastwooddrinkingcoffeedisgusted.gif
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    CarrieCans wrote: »

none.

Why not just eat chicken? :ohwell:
  • Taajsgpm
    Options
    Wow that
    1 large possum, skinned, dressed, and washed
    1 quart beer
    4 tablespoons Tabasco sauce
    1 1/2 tablespoon salt
    2 onions, chopped
    1 clove garlic, minced
    2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    4 sweet potatoes
    2 ribs celery, chopped
    1 ounce whiskey

directions

Mix the beer, whiskey, salt, Tabasco sauce, and Worcestershire sauce together. Place possum in a large roasting pan. Sprinkle the celery, onions, and the garlic all over the possum. Pour the liquid mixture over the possum as well. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place the sweet potatoes around the possum. Bake covered for 1 1/2 hours. Baste once or twice with the marinade from the pan as the possum cooks.

4 servings,567 calories, 14 grams fat, 48 grams carbohydrates, 43 grams protein per serving.

sthe weirdest and most awesome dish ever , Where I ll find a possum , god only knows but I wanna try it
  • jim_just_jim
    jim_just_jim Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I ate a squirrel once...Lots of BBQ sauce.

Squirrel is best stewed. I'm 100% serious, delicious!

Damn straight. They are nice and fat this time of year too !
  • jim_just_jim
    jim_just_jim Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    The American Opposum is a filthy creature that eats carcasses. The Aussie Possum looks edible ;)
  • ViolaLeeBlueberry
    ViolaLeeBlueberry Posts: 182 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

Yes to grilled on a stick. But no teriyaki sauce -- mud homes in villages aren't exactly well-supplied with teriyaki sauce :smile: The meat is supposed to be quite tasty, though, because they're field rats that have only eaten rice.

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    The American Opposum is a filthy creature that eats carcasses. The Aussie Possum looks edible ;)

They're bin-thieves and while mostly vegetarian are known to eat grubs, insects and carrion when its around.
  • keithmustloseweight
    Options
    Australian Possums are a protected animal, it'd be like eating a Koala. Interfering with a Possum is also illegal.