Gadget ideas

Options
I'll admit, I'm a gadget guy. I enjoy using gadgets on this journey as much as possible.

I have and religiously use the following gadgets/tools:
Fitbit one
digital kitchen scale
Digital bathroom scale
Bluetooth Heart Rate Monitor
Accu-measure body fat calipers
Myotape body tape measure
Treadmill
Exercise ball
Medicine ball
Exercise bands
Kettle bells
Foam roller

Considering this list, does anyone have any further recommendations of things they've used to help them in this journey? It's been a good motivator for me to have things to look forward to using at different milestones in my weight loss and I've gotten a good value out of all of the tools above, just wondering if there is anything I'm missing out on and if this list can help others, great!

Replies

• chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I love using my Garmin Forerunner 620. The run metrics you get out of the HR strap give all sorts of details with pretty charts. I have no idea what any of them mean but they look good!! lol
  • golfbrew_matt
    golfbrew_matt Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Awesome. I'll look into it again in a few months when I start running outside again!
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    A weighted sack you throw over your shoulder.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    You need a bicycle.
  • golfbrew_matt
    Options
    I do have a bicycle.
  • noexcusesjustresults2014
    Options
    chunkytfg wrote: »
    I love using my Garmin Forerunner 620. The run metrics you get out of the HR strap give all sorts of details with pretty charts.

+1
    I prefer this single item over every other one on your list!
  • AgentOrangeJuice
    AgentOrangeJuice Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4 HRM, Fitbit One (i'm a stairclimber), Surface Tablet for spreadsheets
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I think the only thing I use that's not already on your list is a Concept 2 indoor rower - it's great for when the weather precludes me from going outside and a great change of pace.
  • chunkytfg
    Options
    I think the only thing I use that's not already on your list is a Concept 2 indoor rower - it's great for when the weather precludes me from going outside and a great change of pace.

2nd on my list of things to buy for the house I will eventually buy is that! 1st is a treadmill. I can sit on the floor but I need treadmill and rower to go with the turbo trainer.
  • joseccastaneda
    joseccastaneda Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    The only other thing i use frequently is my water proof Bluetooth headphones. They can be used in the swimming pool, but i haven't gotten around to use them for swimming yet. Connected to map my fitness and it will give me my stats as i'm out on my bike ride. Kind of wish my HRM was water proof also, but that's another purchase.
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Since i am still focused on my WOE i only have a Digital Scale and Food scale. My Gear 2 Watch has a pedometer which i use for my walks but no idea if its accurate.

My wife is doing px902 and i really like her Bowflex 552 Dumbells and may have to use them when i start focusing on fitness.
  • chunkytfg
    Options
    The only other thing i use frequently is my water proof Bluetooth headphones. They can be used in the swimming pool, but i haven't gotten around to use them for swimming yet. Connected to map my fitness and it will give me my stats as i'm out on my bike ride. Kind of wish my HRM was water proof also, but that's another purchase.

Ant+ and Bluetooth doesn't transmit more than a couple of inches in water so HRMs in water doesn't work. if you see people wearing HR straps in a pool then will only be getting data when they finish a set and lift themselves out the water or will be using older polar straps that use an analog signal. The only Viable option for the new generation of HRM I have seen is to use one of the new generation of optical sensors such as the Mio Link.

DCrainmaker shows how it is done here about half way down

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/10/jellyfish-openwater-tracking.html

• Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this the kind of gadget you're talking about, but I watched Shark Tank last night and one of the inventions was a "kitchen safe" (website same name) - basically a goodie jar with a timed lock on it so you can put treats in there and set the timer for when you're going to actually have access to them, up to 10 days.

I would fill mine (probably with peanut M&Ms or cookies or something :blush: ) and then set the timer to open only every other day, in the morning when I'm not prone to cravings. Then I would take a little, set the lock again...and maybe over time learn some self-control. There's no way I'd take a hammer to it - I'm not that bad and plus it's kind of an expensive item.
  • golfbrew_matt
    Options
    eld2310 wrote: »
    I don't know if this the kind of gadget you're talking about, but I watched Shark Tank last night and one of the inventions was a "kitchen safe" (website same name) - basically a goodie jar with a timed lock on it so you can put treats in there and set the timer for when you're going to actually have access to them, up to 10 days.

I would fill mine (probably with peanut M&Ms or cookies or something :blush: ) and then set the timer to open only every other day, in the morning when I'm not prone to cravings. Then I would take a little, set the lock again...and maybe over time learn some self-control. There's no way I'd take a hammer to it - I'm not that bad and plus it's kind of an expensive item.

This is hilarious, I JUST watched that episode! :smiley: I'm not planning on buying one, but it's a pretty neat idea. Hopefully they can figure out how to get the price down some.
  • chunkytfg
    Options

This is hilarious, I JUST watched that episode! :smiley: I'm not planning on buying one, but it's a pretty neat idea. Hopefully they can figure out how to get the price down some.

Thats a fantastic idea. A bit the the timed feeders you get for cats if you are away for a day or 2 but without the override button. I'd probably buy one of them. How much was it as we don't get Shark Tank in the UK
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options

this actually sounds like a good idea, would buy

• SleepyGirl2
    SleepyGirl2 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm gadgety also. I have and use:

Fitbit One
    Polar HRM
    Stopwatch on my iphone
    Treadmill
    Bowflex Max Trainer
    Bowflex Selecttech weights
    Exercise ball
    Bands
    Assortment of workout DVDs
    C25k app on my iphone
    Digital kitchen and bathroom scales
    Omron fat loss monitor
    My fitness pal app...

• gshifrin
    gshifrin Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm really enjoying my Microsoft Band. Very cool, very helpful!
  • golfbrew_matt
    Options
    The Kitchen Safe's were about $50 if I remember right. You can order them on Amazon.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    On the Kitchen Safe website they're on sale...about $35. I know on Shark Tank they were saying they'd really like to get them down to $29.99 which seems appropriate. $50 is too much.