Any Meal replacements dieters out there?

Options
Looking for People on meal replacements and wondering how its working for you? No rude comments please keep it nice :)

Replies

• mumma2boyz
    mumma2boyz Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I typically replace breakfast with a smoothie. Pumpkin pie specifically. Can't get enough. Sinful that it tastes so good and is so healthy for me. As long as you are still getting enough real food throughout the day, I see nothing wrong with replacing a meal with a protein shake, smoothie, etc.
  • Teal4me
    Teal4me Posts: 104
    Options
    I am on a two meal replacement diet. So far so good. I may cut down to one a day after I lose way more.Just want to get ideas . Sounds like its working for you. How to you make your smoothie?
  • williamwj2014
    williamwj2014 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Usually will have a protein bar if I can't get breakfast and I'm in a rush although I try not to make it a habit.
  • HildieMe
    HildieMe Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Well, I tried, in a way. I paid for a "guaranteed" weight loss program (Quick Weight Loss Centers), got the written guarantee that I would lose 19.6 pounds in seven weeks. Turns out, the condition is that you buy their overpriced supplements, protein bars and shakes. I found equivalent stuff at a fraction of the cost at GNC (even cheaper at Sam's Club) and regular stores.

Once I started with MFP I realized that I was only eating 700 - 800 calories a day, including two whey protein shakes delivering 15 g protein each.

Unfortunately, after about five weeks I developed an allergy to either whey or soy protein isolate. My husband, following the same diet, broke out in hives, and I had to take him to the Emergency room.

So far after 3 months he lost 20 pounds, and I am down 17, so we can't complain (My goal is now to lose a total of 25 pounds). We both increased our calories to 1400 (him)/1200 (me). We are happy to include a little cheese that we didn't have before, and increased our intake of lean protein (mostly chicken breast that I buy in bulk and put under the grill, then freeze in 8 oz portions).

We concluded that engineered food is not good for us. It's overpriced and doesn't make sense, and with that allergy scare, we don't want to risk any more attacks. My favorite snack is hearts of Romaine Lettuce.

We pepare all our meals at home, and have a couple of bags with store-bought grilled chicken in the freezer. We have been travelling for a few weeks during that time, sticking with scrambled or poached eggs for breakfast, grilled fish or mixed salad with chicken for dinner, turkey breast or other lean stuff for lunch. We eat lots of green veggies, plus tomatoes and mushrooms, and limit our fruits to three portions a day (that's my toughest challenge, I love fruits).

Hope this helps - if you do meal replacements, please stay away from SlimFast. I have it on good authority that their products are actually harmful. Good luck on your endeavors, and if you want more details about our diet, just add me as a friend, ok?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Yes I replace high calorie meals and treats with accurately weighed and calorie counted meals and treats

and it works beautifully and for the first time ever I feel slightly confident that maintaining my weight loss will not be an issue - I am going to be in the 5% who do maintain
  • jakicooke
    jakicooke Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Yes I replace high calorie meals and treats with accurately weighed and calorie counted meals and treats

and it works beautifully and for the first time ever I feel slightly confident that maintaining my weight loss will not be an issue - I am going to be in the 5% who do maintain

this soooooo much this
  • Big_Steezy
    Big_Steezy Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I used shakes(protein though, not slim fast) instead of 2 meals a day. Yes I lost some weight not loads, but when I came off it and started eating the meals again, the weight came straight back on..

Now I'm just using a calorie deficit, but trying to eat mostly healthy meals, with some treats and its worked 100% better. I've lost more weight and find it a lot easier to do
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Teal4me wrote: »
    Looking for People on meal replacements and wondering how its working for you? No rude comments please keep it nice :)

the reason it generally doesnt work for people is because you dont learn portion control or how to eat a balanced diet if you just use meal replacement shakes, so as soon as you stop using them you go back to how you ate before...
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Teal4me wrote: »

the reason it generally doesnt work for people is because you dont learn portion control or how to eat a balanced diet if you just use meal replacement shakes, so as soon as you stop using them you go back to how you ate before...

^this. The closest thing to a "meal replacement shake" I eat is a fresh blended fruit smoothy for breakfast sometimes. They just both happen to be liquid. But my smoothies are fresh, nutritious, filling and delicious. And I would have them no matter what my weight is doing simply because I LOVE them. I don't think of it as a replacement, it IS a meal.

My worry about dieting with meal replacements is the same as mentioned above. Not learnering healthy eating habits so that you can maintain your loss in the future.
  • j0hnby
    j0hnby Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi Teal3me

I aren't now, but I was on a meal replacement diet a few years ago - and lost just under 13 stones in around 7 months. Did a full on no "real" food thing - three shakes/soups and a bar every day.

Since coming off it I have maintained well, gone up a bit, lost a bit, and are pretty much loving life and managing to stay at a healthy weight. I go to the gym and really do enjoy exercise now - that helps a hell of a lot when you want a extra bit of cake or a pasty ;)

I used Lighter Life, went to pretty much every session, didn't cheat once, and then carried on afterwards to make sure I was on track and used their services to the full. My counsellor helped me with self control, portion control, learn about healthy eating, how to spot my eating triggers and keep cravings in check and loads more.

I did see loads of guys come along for a few weeks, drop their stone or two, and then just vanish - actually saw one guy come back three times in the period I was there!!

I think the replacement plans do work - but they really need some backup to help change the way the "user" thinks of food and themselves to maintain it.
  • Spocky
    Spocky Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I lost about 7kg in the last 6 months. My dinner is almost always a protein shake with 1dl milk. Nowadays closing to my goal sometimes I eat meat with a tomatoe or paprika for dinner (no bread, no carbs after 18:00). One is chocolate flavoured, the other is chocolate-coconut.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I keep protein bars and protein powder for those days that I just don't care what I eat or having trouble wanting to eat. My husband is on a Doctor supervised program with meal replacement shakes and has lost almost 40 pounds (slowly, about 1-2 pounds per week). He generally only uses the meal replacement for breakfast and the shakes are his snacks.
  • 3wdl
    3wdl Posts: 45
    Options
    j0hnby wrote: »
    Hi Teal3me

I aren't now, but I was on a meal replacement diet a few years ago - and lost just under 13 stones in around 7 months. Did a full on no "real" food thing - three shakes/soups and a bar every day.

Since coming off it I have maintained well, gone up a bit, lost a bit, and are pretty much loving life and managing to stay at a healthy weight. I go to the gym and really do enjoy exercise now - that helps a hell of a lot when you want a extra bit of cake or a pasty ;)

I used Lighter Life, went to pretty much every session, didn't cheat once, and then carried on afterwards to make sure I was on track and used their services to the full. My counsellor helped me with self control, portion control, learn about healthy eating, how to spot my eating triggers and keep cravings in check and loads more.

I did see loads of guys come along for a few weeks, drop their stone or two, and then just vanish - actually saw one guy come back three times in the period I was there!!

I think the replacement plans do work - but they really need some backup to help change the way the "user" thinks of food and themselves to maintain it.

Good to read this. Also doing LighterLife at the moment and have lost 63lb. I have cheated a little bit though - but generally have stayed on track.

Well done on keeping it all off after so long - makes me feel bad when you see people come back to class after losing such a huge amount and put it back on.
  • mumma2boyz
    mumma2boyz Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I will point out again that meal replacement can be tricky because whole foods are best. If your meal replacement includes foods, like mine, aside from the powder you mix in water, you should be fine.

Ok here it goes. I will tell you this is super healthy, tast-I-licious and feels sinful to have every single morning for breakfast. I used to have a lot of symptoms from IBS until I introduced this into my diet. Now I have zero. No bloating, no constipation, no cramps. Ever. Keeps me going all morning!

1/2 cup canned pumpkin (the puree, not pumpkin pie filling)
    1/2 cup oikos non fat vanilla yogurt
    1/2 cup milk (I use 1% but experiment to your taste)
    1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder
    Dash vanilla extract
    Few dashes pumpkin pie spice
    1-2 tsp flax or chia seeds

Throw it all in my Nutribullet and 30 seconds later I'M eating dessert for breakfast with zero guilt.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,672 Member
    Options
    As a professional in the business and because I've seen it umpteen times, I'd encourage you to learn how to understand food portioning instead of meal replacements. While they help with weight loss because of restricted calories, they don't teach one how to deal with solid foods once they attempt to go back to eating them. And that's why programs like these have a 90%+ fail rate in maintenance.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • edvsoreos
    edvsoreos Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Meal replacements are quick fix tools that don't usually result in long term success. Changing habits (learning to ID and control portions, exercise, and eat the right foods) are where the focus should be. That will bring about sustainable change.

Meal replacements are successful boost for some. I hope it works out for you if you take that path. Make sure you get enough fiber and vitamins.
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I use protein shakes to make sure I'm getting enough protein as well as to avoid skipping breakfast all together. I have to agree that the bulk of food needs to be actual food, not liquid meal replacements.
  • TuffChixRule
    TuffChixRule Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I use a Herbalife shake mix as breakfast about three to four times a week. It's quick and it fills me up until about 10:30 at work when I eat a piece of fruit or a small nonfat yogurt. I substitute the dairy for 4 ounces of water and 4 ounces of light soy milk because that's what I prefer. It's simple to prepare in the morning, takes about 30 seconds and keeps me full so I am not heading to the snack machine mid-morning. Other mornings I eat instant oatmeal or once a week my department gets bagels so I eat half the bagel for breakfast and the other half at lunch.
  • Teal4me
    Teal4me Posts: 104
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great tips and advice. I agree on learning portion control. I have joined myfitness pal and it has really taught me alot of awareness of portion control and what to eat . I look at the grocery isles in a whole different aspect now :)
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Whats the advantage of meal replacements? Is it simply convenience and being given x amount of calories in a packet? Why would any one meal replacement eb better than another? Is it support?