Options

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    chrisdavey wrote: »
    lifting increasingly heavier things frequently
    Yeah, this. (I took some artistic license.)

;)
    Taking it as well!
    Additionally, quit smoking four months ago.
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    For me it was weighing things and logging as accurately as possible.

I was WAY underestimating how much I was eating. I would have cereal on a morning and think "this is only 200cals with milk" and think that was good. But when I actually weighed them, I was having like 85g rather than the 35 or 40g recommendation!
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    And while I know 400-500 cals for breakfast isn't too bad....that was for cereal! If I'd have known I was eating that many calories I would have at least had egg and bacon and felt full lol.
  • desi9837
    desi9837 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    hamoncan wrote: »
    It does seem like it is mostly about food to me - changing from eating for pleasure to eating for good health.

I think this applies to me as well. Of course, I'll have sweets and pizza once in a while, but if I have those, I will try to balance it out by walking more or eating more healthy food. While I enjoy the tastes and textures of those foods, in the back of my head, I will be thinking about how those affect my nutrition.

Another thing that has truly made it possible for me is eating a hearty and healthy breakfast and lunch. Without those I think I would already binged by now. Since I only eat three meals a day with no snacks, I make those two initial meals count.
  • fat2strongbeth
    fat2strongbeth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I have grown to love veggies!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I've had to get out of the mindset I need to eat 1200 calories to lose weight. I've realised I can eat more and lose! I've also realised that strength training is really important.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Weighing/measuring food and keeping a food diary. No point in doing one without the other.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    1. Cut back on the beer and cut out the burger and fries that go with it;
    2. Eat more, smaller, meals and learn how many hours I can get out of 200 calories;
    3. Decide that weight loss can be a success that's in my control.
  • Daisies86
    Daisies86 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Not buying the crisps (chips) and things that I cannot stop eating. I will only buy them if I really want them and the fact that I would have to walk to the shop makes me really consider if I want them.

Tracking and weighing my food has just made me more aware of the calories, when you compare how many calories are in a bag of chips vs the same amount of veg.

That being said, I think without being able to have nice meals out with friends, I wouldn't last. I don't eat back exercise calories to give me wiggle room for dinner and drinks with friends.
  • jeanmacdermott
    jeanmacdermott Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I make time for my workouts instead of just trying to find time during the day to "fit it in". Up a little earlier every morning. I am also so much more aware of portion size and reading labels.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    For me it was weighing and logging my food since I've never actually done this before. Now it's just second nature.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    deviiv wrote: »
    My food- definitely. Being more aware of what I'm eating and why.

Absolutely. And logging what I ate.

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I trained hard and dieted.

One thing I've done with MFP is looking at my weekly deficit rather than daily, so some days I'm up some days I'm down so long as it all balances out...
  • chopsart
    chopsart Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    My husband and I totally changed the way we eat. It is now generally lower in fat, cooked at home, eating mindfully, and moving more.
  • itsjustmish
    itsjustmish Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I swopped doing cardio 6 times a week for lifting heavy things 3 times a week. I also cut refined sugar out of my diet as much as possible after discovering (by accident) that it was the cause of my insomnia. I haven't drunk any alcohol in just over 6 months, because I no longer care to deal with the nasty hangovers! Other than that, nothing is 'out of bounds' in terms of food/ drink. I eat significantly more than I did at the beginning of the year and exercise less, but my weight is 8lbs down and my body composition is totally different. It works for me! :)
  • lsgibbs83
    lsgibbs83 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Where to start...

Eat a healthy breakfast every day.
    Plenty of water.
    Plan my meals.
    Weigh/measure my food.
    Eat fewer foods with preservatives.
    Lean protein/complex carbs (not refined sugars etc...)
    Avoid empty calories. If I am eating it, it should have nutritional value.
    Regular exercise...both cardio and strengthening.

22975671.png
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Strictly limiting added (refined) sugars (less than 3 grams per serving), limiting heavily refined grains. It will be 14 years in January. And 13.5 years at maintenance.
    Best thing I ever did. And, after 2 weeks, one of the easier lifestyle changes I've made.
  • ithrowconfetti
    ithrowconfetti Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    • Started to weigh & log food accurately
    • Intermittent fasting
    • Intuitive eating
    • Eating all things in moderation, after I stopped thinking that certain foods, like fats and fast food are bad
  • ink_b1tch
    Options
    Changed how I shopped and stopped eating out. Not only did I save money, my girls have also lost weight do to healthier eating. Once you stop brining the junk in, and stop eating out so much the control is easier!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    loulamb7 wrote: »
    Learned how many calories I needed to maintain weight and ate 500 calories less per day. First time I ever counted calories.

For weight loss, this is it for me.

I changed a lot of things in my lifestyle over the past 6 years...drinking less soda and about 10X more water, being more active, trying NOT to eat out of stress or boredom. But it wasn't until I started counting calories that the weight came off relatively easily.