Tomato Feta Snack/Side

Options
ShinySpork
ShinySpork Posts: 28 Member
I'm not sure anyone else will like it because you really have to like the sharp bite of the ingredients in the first place...but I thought I'd offer the idea. I take it to work as a snack and it's stays well enough in my lunch box until about 14:00. Just remember to bring some mints to eat after the fact. ^_~

1 Cup Cherry (or Grape) Tomatoes (Don't halve them, just rinse)
Fine-Medium Chopped Red Onion (I like 2 TBSP)
Crumbled Feta (I like about 2 TBSP)
1/2 TBSP Olive Oil
Pepper to Taste

Replies

• Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Love all of those!
  • Sarahr73
    Sarahr73 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    OMG! That sounds so good! I love feta, onions, and tomato! Thanks for sharing.
  • JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    yum
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    swap out tomato for lettuce and this was my salad this afternoon.

and it was delicious.

tomato would be good on it, too, but since they're not in season here in new england, we have to wait a bit.
  • kksp50
    kksp50 Posts: 3
    Options
    Sounds yummy! Thanks for sharing!
  • ShinySpork
    Options
    Wow! I wasn't expecting an enthusiastic response. Maybe I'll share more in the future... :D
  • chavat
    chavat Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    love this idea, how many calories is it?
  • ShinySpork
    Options
    It came out to about 160 calories. I think it depends on the feta you purchase. If you want to cut out a lot of calories while maintaining the most flavor, you could drop the olive oil. Personally, I think it's worth the extra calories, but that's just me. :)
  • trishlambert
    trishlambert Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this idea! I scored some incredible tomatoes at the farmers market over the weekend, and my neighbors gave me some fresh from the garden onions, so I've been having this for lunch every day. I also added some balsamic vinegar (which I love), and today I threw in a small chopped (also garden fresh) cucumber. Yum!!! If I had some roasted chicken or pork loin, I'd probably throw that in too...again, thanks for the idea!
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    *DROOOL*Sounds YUMMY! I might even add some avacado :wink:
  • ShinySpork
    Options
    Balsamic vinegar sounds great! I'm going to try that too. :D

I'll try the avocado too, if I'm eating it right away. Avocado would not be happy in my lunch box.
  • BifDiehl
    BifDiehl Posts: 474
    Options
    yumm...bump !
  • northernlights907
    Options
    bump
  • luvmykid28
    luvmykid28 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    bump
  • danibee41989
    danibee41989 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Sarahr73
    Sarahr73 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I actually made this into a salad and it was absolutely amazing! I didn't use the olive oil or pepper though, just chopped up some onion and all I had were regular tomatos so chopped up one of those added feta and tossed it with some spinach. Best salad without dressing I have ever had in my life! I am addicted to it. I have been eating my lunch backwards so I have the taste of the salad still in my mouth when I go back to work :laugh:
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I make that but I add cucumbers too and instead of olive oil I use light itailian dressing. It is very tasty. :)
  • labrennan
    labrennan Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    bump
  • chopsart
    chopsart Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    looks like a great simple recipe that I would like!
  • mrogers52
    mrogers52 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Sounds delicious!