How long will it take me to lose my stomach fat?

Roughly? Are we talking months or weeks here? Currently I'm eating 1200-1300 cals per day, I'm 5'3, weigh 145lb and lost 33lb in the last 5 months with only 6lb more to go! I do 30-40 mins running 3 times a week and swimming every Tuesday. Do you think I have a lot to lose? I can't seem to get rid of this belly fat!!

okuxxl60e0qx.jpg

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    You just have to keep going ...it comes off when it comes off ..and you can't spot reduce

I'd be adding weight lifting to your exercise though

No way of telling from that shot - looks like nothing much, could just be an out-breath or bad posture or normal beautiful woman's concave stomach

But if you want visible abs then do weights ..and once you're at a low enough body fat % they will show
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Hate to say it, but no one knows the answer to that. Your body will decided where to lose weight when it chooses too.

Have you tried lifting weights? cardio is great for burning but strength training does wonders to the body.
  • 00mid
    00mid Posts: 79 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    You just have to keep going ...it comes off when it comes off ..and you can't spot reduce

No way of telling from that shot - looks like nothing much, could just be an out-breath or bad posture or normal beautiful woman's concave stomach

But if you want visible abs then do weights ..and once you're at a low enough body fat % they will show

I'm not looking for abs or even a completely flat stomach, I just want to lose a couple of inches but atm it doesn't look like it's happening.

Will exercises like sit-ups help?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    weight training will help you lose inches, sit ups are basically worthless because you cant spot reduce like one of the OP's stated. I have been working out and weight training for 27 months and I still have cellulite/stomach fat. it all depends on your genes too. some people will have a little belly fat no matter what they do,some will have a lot,some will have next to none.you cannot just work your core and stomach and lose the fat from there. A lot of it is what you eat too. a cleaner diet can help but again it all depends on your genes.
  • rabbitjb wrote: »

I'm not looking for abs or even a completely flat stomach, I just want to lose a couple of inches but atm it doesn't look like it's happening.

Will exercises like sit-ups help?

My understanding is that sit ups do little. You might want to check out one of Jillian Michael's videos. She tends to focus on a variety of activities that work the core from multiple angles.

• spingirl605
    spingirl605 Posts: 181 Member
    You and I have the same stats, with the same issue. For whatever reason, we hare the same height, same weight, but my belly fat is much more noticeable than yours. Do you have kids? I had 2 c-sections, which isn't helping my cause. I do a lot of cardio too (I teach step aerobics and spinning) and am trying to incorporate heavier lifting to my repertoire. I have always had a "pot belly"...Even as a small child, so I'm guessing mine won't be going away any too quickly!! It is very frustrating!! I've been watching my weight since I was a teenager...Good luck with your journey!
  • azwen
    azwen Posts: 237 Member
    I can relate. I've lost about 16 lbs., with at least 6-8 lbs. to go. Those 6-8 lbs. seem to be all in my belly, hips, and lower back. I've lost inches in those areas, but they seem to be stubborn! I figure if I just keep doing what I'm doing, that fat's gotta go, too. I'm eating at a deficit, logging carefully, weighing foods. I lift weights 3-4 days a week, and do cardio 5-6 days a week.
  • The last few pounds of weight that cover your abs are far beyond the common diet tricks. The body does not usually want to lose that fat because is protective for vital organs. In order to see your abs you are going to need a very strict diet, not just the normal thing. Considering your pictures and depending on how fast your metabolism is, it will take 2-4 months to get rid of the majority.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    1) Stand up straighter. It goes away instantly.
    2) What belly fat? Nobody is going to notice that. Seriously
    3) If you still want to get rid of it, you have to lose a little more weight. That is the only way. I would say you don't actually need to, however.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    herrspoons wrote: »
    The last few pounds of weight that cover your abs are far beyond the common diet tricks. The body does not usually want to lose that fat because is protective for vital organs. In order to see your abs you are going to need a very strict diet, not just the normal thing. Considering your pictures and depending on how fast your metabolism is, it will take 2-4 months to get rid of the majority.

No.

:grinning:
  • 00mid
    00mid Posts: 79 Member
    ?
  • Jams009
    Jams009 Posts: 345 Member
    Looks like a nice stomach to me.... It won't take long. lift some weights and keep doing what you have been doing.
  • Autumngolds
    Autumngolds Posts: 30 Member
    I have the same problem, but more of it. ;) If you're not happy with it when you've lost all the weight you want to, don't think it won't come off - I'm only speaking from results I've seen on other people, but you'll probably lose any extra fat there by eating more and doing regular strength training (all over - not just targeting the abs). Don't listen to anyone who says losing more weight is the only way. Definitely incorporate strength training (bodyweight or lifting) as soon as possible. It does amazing things for getting rid of 'stubborn fat' when losing weight just doesn't. There's no way of telling how long it'll take (I'd say probably months, gradually, but it's impossible to know) but it will happen. You look great by the way. :)
  • bosrae
    bosrae Posts: 1 Member
    edited November 2014
    You will lose fat wherever your genetically predisposed to losing it first. However, for your height a normal BMI would be between 110- 141 pounds.So, if you don't see progress after you've lost the last six pounds, try losing more weight/fat ( 139 pounds is normal weight BMI, but you may still have excess fat to lose) and eventually you will see a change in measurement in those areas.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    It really just depends on your body, I hate to tell you. I'm the same height and 132 and still have plenty. My guess is I'd have to get to around 115 to get rid of it, and I might not like how other parts of my body are at the weight (although I might). Going to keep a reasonable deficit and work on the weights and see how it goes.

Hard to tell with that photo but I don't think it looks bad. Like others said just be patient and consider adding weight training which can help. You might want to take regular photos so you can really compare.

I think of my perfect stomach as an aspiration or work in progress to keep me motivated with the fitness after I hit goal.