Throwing food away

Options
I am very careful with what I buy to avoid food wastage as much as possible. I don't feel comfortable throwing food away. Not just for financial reason but also for ethical reasons.

I have bought something (for the first time) and I don't really like the taste of. It is a pack of four. I've eaten one. I really don't want to 'spend' my calories on it, but don't feel comfortable just throwing it away; and there is no one I can give it to who would want it.

Would you throw it away ?

Replies

• harlequin0318
    harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    really, NO ONE? bring it to work and stamp it with FREE - itll disappear
  • totaldetermination
    totaldetermination Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    really. no one.
  • Debbjones
    Debbjones Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    really, NO ONE? bring it to work and stamp it with FREE - itll disappear

Works for me every time... also depending on the item, you could crumble it up and feed it to the birds/wildlife. Out her in SoCal out birds love it when I feed them bread, chips, cookies, cupcakes... anything that crumbles!
  • harlequin0318
    harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I'm curious to know what this product is now lol
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Yes, tell us, what is it??
  • ShenandoahSand
    ShenandoahSand Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have issues with throwing food away as well. I have a jar of Hoisin sauce in my fridge. I tried it on salmon in a recipe and I hated it. It is still sitting in the back of my fridge and I think I'll probably keep it until the expiration date and then I would be able to throw it out because I'd have a reason justifying it. Some times are easier than others. I hope you are able to toss it. I won't waste calories on food I don't like either.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Would you throw it away ?

I'm with you. I'd give it to someone. Perhaps put it on Gumtree or Freecycle. Or even ask your friends on Facebook if they want it.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    If I'm trying out a new food, I'll ask my husband if he'd eat it if I don't like. He's open to eating whatever most of the time. If neither of us like it, I have no problem tossing it. I do try to get small portions of whatever the new food is. If I like it, I can get more later.

I'm with others: either give it away at work or just toss it.
  • MadamMina
    MadamMina Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Preferably not, but sometimes it just happens that way. When I bought something I don't like at all or discover I can't eat, due to allergies I give away to family members, so it is not wasted.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Seconding the suggestion to take it to work. I get rid of so much unwanted food that way!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    If you really can't even bring it to work (or wouldn't want to inflict it on them!), just toss it. I have issues about that too, but they aren't really sensible--in that you can't realistically donate it to anyone who needs food, the only waste is of your money, and that's already done.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Quite common for me to throw stuff awau like bread and fruit, although im trying to be more mindful. I just like to have it on hand to give me choice. Breads a funny one because I have cut back a lot and it doesnt play a massive part in my diet as its quite calorie heavy compared to how much it fills me up, so its a treat. That means I only have a small amount from a loaf and the rest ends up getting thrown. maybe ill start toasting it and feed the birds.
  • totaldetermination
    totaldetermination Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    its a pack of 4 frozen burgers. I defrosted all of them 2 days ago thinking I would have 1 or 2 patties a day for a few days. They have a very strange spice combination on them. really terrible. There's no fridge at work, so even if the meat wasn't off (it would have been defrosted several days earlier) it would be by the end of the day. :neutral_face:
    I guess its ok to give them to the wildlife. Its not rotten. Thanks.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    The grocery stores in my area usually take back items I have found I didn't like. Check with your local grocer.

If it is a non perishable you can donate it to your local food bank.

http://www.feedingamerica.org/find-your-local-foodbank/

If it is an unopened item I will often bring it to the guys that work at my local Goodwill donation station. I usually give them my food gift goody baskets I get from my clients. They either snack on it while at work or bring it home to their families.

• lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    give it to Mikey..........he'll like it...............

for those members over 50, they'll know who Mikey is.........
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    It's 3 hamburgers, got teenagers?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    Quite common for me to throw stuff awau like bread and fruit, although im trying to be more mindful.

I don't eat much bread either (and when I do it's usually because I bought it at a restaurant/lunch place, I almost never eat it at home). One exception is on the rare occasion when we decide to have a burger and get buns. We end up eating maybe four of them (2 people, 2 nights) and then toss the rest. It's a shame and I'd buy fewer if I could, but it's unavoidable. It is one reason I'm more likely to come up with something else to do with any ground beef I buy.

OP, given the specifics, I think it's a perfectly reasonable thing to throw away and you really don't have a good alternative. You shouldn't feel bad about it.
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Is the hamburger cooked? If not morph them into tiny meatballs and add to soup. You can add flavoring to them. If they are cooked this may work but I'm not sure.
  • Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Yep, toss it if there is no one to give it to. I understand your desire to not be wasteful, but I have had to unlearn some of that in order to lose weight and get my mindset right for maintaining. I used to use the "I don't want to waste" as an excuse to clean my plate even when I had already over eaten or when the food wasn't even good. Or even eat my family members leftovers..... This was just an excuse for me to be a glutton, dressed up as a frugal virtue.

Now I try to focus on the calories I'm wasting on something totally not worth it.

And remind myself that if I eat it, it still will become waste. It isn't helping anyone to have it filtered through my digestive system and disposed of in the toilet the next day, rather than cutting me out as the middleman and tossing straight in the garbage disposal and down the pipes today.

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Btw if you dont know about it then youd be shocked about the amount of food the supermarkets and manufacturers throw away.