To track Christmas or not?

Options
2»

Replies

• horseplaypen
    horseplaypen Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I won't log Christmas Day, will throw in a 3000 cal quick add and be done... Mainly because I can't be bothered trying to remember and log every single little thing I eat!

Yep, aside from the big Christmas dinner, we generally just keep the appies rolling all day, and Christmas Eve too. Too much of a pain in the butt to track, and frankly I don't care. I didn't track Christmas for the past two years and saw either a weight loss or no change at all in the days that followed. I keep exercise consistent, so maybe that helps.
  • FitFroglet
    FitFroglet Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I'll track as best I can but I won't beat myself up when I go over my goal calorie intake - one day won't ruin my progress. Part of making these improvements stick is learning how to cope with special occasions.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I didn't log on Thanksgiving (the first day I skipped in ten months on here), and I doubt I will for Christmas. If I can keep my estimations about the same, that'll be good. And I'll work a lot of it off that night when I have to be at work.
  • MagistraSaunders
    MagistraSaunders Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I won't log Christmas Day, will throw in a 3000 cal quick add and be done... Mainly because I can't be bothered trying to remember and log every single little thing I eat!

Yeah this is one of the big things that's making me not want to. That and Dad is very much in charge of the cooking so I won't even be able to see what goes into it.
  • MagistraSaunders
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    You're already worried about Christmas? What about all the days until then? Those matter much more than the 1 day.

I'm not worried about those days - I know I'll be around my calorie goal. And it's less than a month away - the way the shops are going on you'd think it was tomorrow though.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Um, it's not even December yet and you're stressing over Christmas already? Mainly focus on your weight loss right now till that day... then don't stress over that ONE DAY.
  • MagistraSaunders
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I think what counts the most is not what you do on the actual holiday but what your do between the holidays themselves.
    Well Christmas is the first holiday here and New Years is always quiet because it's a family member's birthday so it's only the actual day I'm worried about. I'm worried it'll make me go 'eff it' and go off course. Then again, seeing the numbers could well do that!
    smichhertz wrote: »
    I plan on tracking. It's okay to go over every now and again. The thing that concerns me is that if I stop for one day, I'll start making excuses for other days and then not track at all. I'd rather just keep tracking and go over then stop tracking.

It's really up to you but just be aware of the possible pitfalls if you stop tracking for a day.
    Yeah that's exactly my fear! I think I'll have to spend Boxing Day morning on MFP to get myself back into the right headspace :stuck_out_tongue:
    cheripugh1 wrote: »
    I track... if I am not sure about the actual calorie count I give an HONEST est. of calories and put that in for the meal or snack in question.... I try to pre-enter what I know my basic meal will be and that I try very hard to stick to, plus by doing that ahead of time I can decide if there is something I have often enough to cut for something special so I don't go too far over. like maybe I'll take off corn because I know I'm going to have mashed potatoes AND stuffing, sometimes I cut the mashed and just have stuffing. If I have no idea ahead of time, I will est. the calories at a straight 600 (for ex.) for each meal. If you've been doing this long term and/or are at goal maybe you don't need to do this, but for me I still have a long road ahead and I need to keep it upfront, I won't limit my calories on a holiday to 'diet mode' but I won't go overboard too far.
    I've already lost over a stone without MFP, I'm just back here to keep me honest - I plateaued for a while because I went off track with food. Maybe if I'm very strict and say I have to get straight back to tracking on the 26th that'd work. I certainly don't plan on having a very 'diet mode' Christmas either.
  • MagistraSaunders
    Options
    Aemiliana wrote: »
    You're already worried about Christmas? What about all the days until then? Those matter much more than the 1 day.

I'm not worried about those days - I know I'll be around my calorie goal. And it's less than a month away - the way the shops are going on you'd think it was tomorrow though.

The point is, less say 27 days of hitting your goal and hitting your deficit -vs- 1 day if Christmas where you eating maybe at maintenance or 500 or even 2000 calories above. What do you think makes a bigger impact?

It's only 1 day.

Very true! I am worried about falling off the wagon after though, but I guess I'm not sure whether tracking would help or hinder that situation (though I guess tracking it would mean I'd be concious that people could see my diary and therefore how much chocolate I've had!)
  • MagistraSaunders
    Options
    You track for yourself. Not so others can see and possibly how you accountable.

A big part of this weight loss thing is mental. Stress. Taking a day like Christmas and taking a deep breath while just enjoying the day is a big relief. This weight loss thing cannot consume your life.

Well knowing that others can see if I ate a whole tub of chocolates to myself would certainly help me mindlessly doing it!

But yeah that's totally true and I guess I hadn't really viewed it in that way - I've had a pretty unhealthy relationship with food for most of my life and this year is the first Christmas that I feel I've finally overcome that so I guess I'm just carrying over all my old fears about that one day when really, I know that I'm better now.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    This feels like deja vu.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I plan to log just like any other day.
    I've been doing well with logging my food before I eat it. I think about my choices that way. Sometimes I eat different food or add in more exercise that day.
    I would probably just plan to have some chocolate every single day so on holidays I didn't feel I had to eat all I could get my hands on. If I couldn't do that then I would just honestly log what I did eat and move on.
  • Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    Yes, I will log my food on Christmas Day. There is no justifiable reason for me not to.