Long Cardio Sessions for de-bulking muscle?

Options

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    ^^ those are terrifying pictures.

They all have made 7 figures in their peak years. So to be at the top of their craft, I guess they decided the pay to play was worth it. ;-)

The endurance athlete at that level is a different breed of performance and mind.

I think I'd rather make less money and have a body that I'm proud of and find aesthetically pleasing :p I mean, they might like their bodies but wow... no, DNW. But making more money doesn't really make you all that much happier anyways, so eh.

• SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

I think I'd rather make less money and have a body that I'm proud of and find aesthetically pleasing :p I mean, they might like their bodies but wow... no, DNW. But making more money doesn't really make you all that much happier anyways, so eh.

Your goals, needs, and body image are far different from that of a professional marathon runner, or cyclist, or triathlete, or XC Olympic skier, or prima ballerina (most amazing athletes on earth IMO). And there is nothing wrong with that. It is what it is. I would just suggest that because they happen to be lean due to their "career choice" and performance in their respective fields, doesn't mean that they are unhappy - and you are happy. Hey - they get to eat 4000+ calories a day for the effort they put out. ;-)

We are getting off topic from the OP's question about using cardio to burn though excess muscle.

However, to just explain a bit about professional athletes and their quest to perform at their best for a living via sponsorship and prize money. A typical 1st place finish in one of the major marathons is $55K to $100K+ (both for men and women). In addition, you accumulate points towards the season overall World Marathon Majors Title which pays $500K to the winner each year. And there is bonus pay at each marathon for breaking records - so for the athletes at the top of their game, it is a big business just as other professional sports who may have different body types, but also are in quest to be at the top of their craft in basketball, soccer, football, baseball, etc... .

The typical base salary of the 198 pro cyclists in the Tour de France is $142,000. However, the top riders - those that I highlighted above - make $5 million per year. Not all 198 have the genetics and body types to be one of the top riders that makes millions, but they all have the genetics and body type to make us mere mortals shake our head in disbelief at how fast and far they can ride day, after day, after day. It is their career choice. To say they are not happy. To say that they don't enjoy their careers and the salary drawn. To say that they don't enjoy their body image, etc....may be incorrectly placed something or other.

And the endurance athlete must pay close attention to the power to weight ratio. Sure, they can compete if they weigh more than ideal, but they are not going to win. So if one is training to compete at the professional level in cycling, running, tri's, ballet, XC skiing, etc... - the question of what it takes to win in terms of body composition isn't even up for discussion. Likewise, nobody is going to get hired to be a professional offensive lineman for the NFL if they weigh 250 pounds. It's not even part of the discussion as most average around 300-315 pounds. We can't say they are not happy. We can't say it's not about the money (career). We can't say they are not proud of their body image and salary they draw.

Top of their craft ballet dancers are in a tough, not as well funded industry as professional sports, the going gets really tough...

http://www.therichest.com/rich-list/world/the-5-richest-ballet-dancers/

It is what it is.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,633 Member
    Options
    anlenz wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    You cannot change genetics. If you're predisposed to having bigger calves and thighs, then there really isn't much you can to do change that, with the exception of not using them at all so they can atrophy.
    Also there are NO EXERCISE programs that "lengthen" the muscles. Muscles are attached at point from birth barring any surgical procedures.
    First try lowering your body fat, then go from there.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

This post was me trying to figure out how to proceed next as I have lowered my body fat and have see excellent results in the rest of my body. Since you are a personal trainer, what should my body caliper reading be at my calves in order "to go from there"?
    Caliper readings aren't made for assessing one area of the body to determine body fat readings. It's an accumulation of readings at certain points of the body to make that determination.
    If you get down to about 20% body fat, you'll see significant differences all over your body with the possible exception of calves and forearms. They both have very dense muscle fiber set ups.
    As mentioned before, calves are genetic and you really can't do much to reduce them unless you don't use them at all or go on some crazy extreme calorie deficit which would affect EVERY PART of your body as well thereby not solving the issue of proportion.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Kiyy
    Kiyy Posts: 91 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Kiyy wrote: »
    You don't really want to loose muscle you want to strengthen and tighten it. As muscle first grows it pumps up with water and blood but as you strengthen you may be able to shrink and tighten it. Calves are an area that can take lots of work to change. If your not adding calories it cant grow.
    I'm super strong and I have seen myself shrink as I got stronger. Areas that I work on did shrink. It is possible to sculpt your body with weight training and diet. Try the stair climber and use your calves. Sometimes its hard to do but is possible.

Thank for your response. You're right. I'm trying to achieve leaner calf muscles and thigh muscles. I'm not looking for heavy weight lifting or bodybuilding to increase the size of my muscles. So maybe I should be adding in yoga for lengthening of the muscles.

You can lift as heavy as you want. You're in a caloric defict, you're not gaining muscle mass. Your legs are looking larger than you want because you are probably not at a low enough body fat.

I agree.
    I have personally gotten stronger and smaller legs at the same time. There is a reason body building is called an art. You can sculpt your body. You could learn how to develop stronger larger legs up top and strengthen, cut and tighten your calves to help balance out your shape.

I lift very heavy weights more than most men can lift. My legs are strong firm and not large for my frame. My rump stays firm and lean. My calves have always been large but I toned them and they look great on my frame. When I was younger, I started lifting weights. After that I was known for my sexy legs.

This is possible keep on trying.
  • maybyn
    maybyn Posts: 233 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

They all have made 7 figures in their peak years. So to be at the top of their craft, I guess they decided the pay to play was worth it. ;-)

Thank you for that post. I have some reading to do. Interesting.

Good luck trying to get the body shape shown in the pictures. You may have a genetically different shape to the ballerina or to Paula Radcliffe. If so, no point killing yourself over what may not be possible.
  • Samby_v1
    Samby_v1 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    dharkan wrote: »

Good luck trying to get the body shape shown in the pictures. You may have a genetically different shape to the ballerina or to Paula Yates. If so, no point killing yourself over what may not be possible.

I think you mean Paula Radcliffe...
  • maybyn
    maybyn Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Samby_v1 wrote: »

Good luck trying to get the body shape shown in the pictures. You may have a genetically different shape to the ballerina or to Paula Yates. If so, no point killing yourself over what may not be possible.

Whoops! Yes, I do, lol...

Edited.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Paula Yates is just bones though...
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Genetics - I've managed to build 0" on my calves (was chuffed with a 0.25 gain on a bulk which I lost with the cut)
  • Samby_v1
    Samby_v1 Posts: 202 Member
    Options

Paula Yates is just bones though...

Dammit - I was trying to be classy about it.
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    Haythen wrote: »
    If you want nice lean legs you should run long distances. Foam rolling will also help shape your thigh muscles and make them more longer and healthier.

Hey, "part time personal trainer"...

NO. JUST...NO.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options

Good luck trying to get the body shape shown in the pictures. You may have a genetically different shape to the ballerina or to Paula Radcliffe. If so, no point killing yourself over what may not be possible.

? I have no reason to get that body shape, I just like to read about fitness...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    break both your legs and do nothing for six months and eat 1200 calories a day ...
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    What really needs to happen is that if you are at a desirable body fat range, perhaps you should work on body acceptance or at least find something less shallow in your life to fixate on.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Haythen wrote: »
    If you want nice lean legs you should run long distances. Foam rolling will also help shape your thigh muscles and make them more longer and healthier.

You're a part time personal trainer? In all seriousness , PLEASE educate yourself for the sake of your clients.
  • MelonJMusic
    MelonJMusic Posts: 121 Member
    Options

Lol I think they thought you were OP for some reason. :)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options

Lol I think they thought you were OP for some reason. :)

Oh okay, maybe. Very confused.
  • anlenz
    anlenz Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice (or derogatory comments). As others have pointed out, I'll stick with long cardio sessions and focus my strength training on my core and upper body while I continue to eat at a calorie deficient. Since endurance training will work my slow twitch muscle fibers instead of my fast twitch fibers, which are larger, it should help.
  • MelonJMusic
    MelonJMusic Posts: 121 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    OP, spot reducing isn't achievable (especially if you're "bottom heavy.") Have you considered heavy lifting for your arms so that your upper body becomes more proportionate to your lower half? It's a very healthy way to achieve a more evened out shape, and a lot easier than running forever and a day in hopes of atrophying bulky muscles. Chances are if you are at your desired body fat % and at a calorie deficit, your "bulky" leg muscle build is naturally yours from the everyday activities you've taken on and not something you actively worked to build. Meaning they are the result of maintained natural muscle body composition. That you can't safely reduce once you've gone down to your lowest safe bf %.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,633 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice (or derogatory comments). As others have pointed out, I'll stick with long cardio sessions and focus my strength training on my core and upper body while I continue to eat at a calorie deficient. Since endurance training will work my slow twitch muscle fibers instead of my fast twitch fibers, which are larger, it should help.
    As I mentioned, if you get to 20% body fat, and your calves and quads haven't significantly reduced, then you'll have to chalk it up to genetics. Doing endurance training still activates muscle and if it's still being utilized, you're not likely to reduce it's size significantly even if you aren't lifting for lower body.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png