What can one do with a significant other..aside from eat

Serious question here, targeted at those of you who are seeing or have seen success while in a relationship. It's no secret that most people will gain because of all the date nights to restaurants. What are some date ideas OTHER than going out to eat??

I will especially need this advice now that winter is upon us. (I live on the east coast, usa). We are pretty good at the movies, getting a medium popcorn to share with 2 bottles of water.

Ideas? :)

Replies

• moremuffins
    moremuffins Posts: 46 Member
    Bowling, skating, skiing, playing pool, hiking, video games...
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    The mall
    Bowling
    See Christmas lights
    Movies
    Sledding/toboggan
    Skiing
    Make a snowman
    Museums
    Concerts
    Football game
    Board games, cards
    Weekend getaway (to somewhere warm, lol)
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Sex.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    I've been married almost 15 years so I'm not dating.
    Bowling, dancing, skating/ice skating,skiing, sledding, hiking, playing a sport or game, going for a long drive, beach/pool, zoo, museum, amusement park, arcade, concerts, window shopping, biking, going to the movies and not getting snacks, or going for a walk in a park.

• TheProudDadLife
    TheProudDadLife Posts: 654 Member
    double date
  • 1moretimetho
    1moretimetho Posts: 33 Member
    randomtai wrote: »
    Sex.

was waiting for that, hahaha
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Sex.

was waiting for that, hahaha

Well it's true. *shrug* :ohwell:
  • fat2strongbeth
    fat2strongbeth Posts: 735 Member
    What activities do you like to do? You can do almost any with someone else too!
  • LookingBusy
    LookingBusy Posts: 72 Member
    Train for something together (like a Spartan race or something).
    Go to a show (magic show's or comedy clubs are pretty inexpensive).
    Go to Dave and Busters
    Go Karting
    Take a dance class
    Trampolining! It's becoming pretty big here, as a thing for adults
    Salsa lounge
    Paint ball
    Sky diving (or indoor sky diving)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Join a gym. Take dance lessons. Take ANY lessons that involve moving...When hubs and I first dated we had rollerblade dates, raquetball dates. Now eating out is our favorite date. But life is more hectic than it was back then...
  • getalife9353
    getalife9353 Posts: 100 Member
    Any recreational activity other then eating.... What other shared interests to you have? If I don't have some shared recreational interest, I've not been able to maintain the relationship. If you don't have a shared recreational interest maybe try developing some together. walking, hiking, running, cycling, kayaking, skating, bowling, board games, cards, arts (museums, galleries, theater, etc.), you get the idea. If you need more ideas do an internet search like "what to do in <name of city or metro area>"
  • ZBuffBod
    ZBuffBod Posts: 297 Member
    Do a treasure hunt: post clues in a nearly park or somewhere similar and end with a nice his/her massage at a favorite spa.

Go for a boat ride/dinner cruise ride.

Can even do the treasure hunt culminating in a bedroom romp.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    ZBuffBod wrote: »
    Do a treasure hunt: post clues in a nearly park or somewhere similar and end with a nice his/her massage at a favorite spa.

Go for a boat ride/dinner cruise ride.

Can even do the treasure hunt culminating in a bedroom romp.

his/her massage is a great idea. Hottubbing/massage in winter=fabulous.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Drink.
  • ZBuffBod
    ZBuffBod Posts: 297 Member
    Take salsa or ballroom dancing lessons together.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Definitely sex.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Work out at the gym then hop on the court and play some one on one basketball, badminton, etc... find a cause and volunteer together (Santa's anonymous?)... not typical dates, I know, sorry!
  • LifeInTheBikeLane
    LifeInTheBikeLane Posts: 345 Member
    My Love and I make a date out of going to the gym. He usually comes with me 4-5 times a week and we have tons of fun together. More fun then all the other couples I see working out together.

I taught him to ride a bike (Don't ask.) last year so he loves going on trails with me and we often go cruise the streets when it is nice out. Before we started dating we realized a mutual love for walking at night so we do that a lot.

Non-Physical wise he started our courtship out by taking me to see live music a lot. We didn't eat out a lot in the beginning because I cooked for him as a form of woo. It's how I took control of what I was eating. We still go see live music still and I cook every night. :D
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    JustAnotherGirlSuzanne Posts: 932 Member
    edited November 2014
    Walks (bonus points for snowball fights complete with forts)
    Bike rides
    Hikes
    Snowshoeing
    Build a snowman
    Sledding/tobogganing
    Ice skating
    Go to the mall
    Go to the gym if you have a membership
    Indoor sports like squash
    Join an indoor soccer team
    Volunteer somewhere
    Donate blood (We actually did this on our third date. It turned out okay, I married him. ;) )
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Have kids - then you won't need to worry about dating for a good long while :wink:
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,961 Member
    Skating, cross country skiing, snow shoeing, tobogganing, going to a roller rink or trampoline park if you have them, walking or skating on the river... If you don't have skates then boot hockey (spongee) is fun. Walk around a mall, go somewhere that is displaying Christmas trees and maybe has carolers.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Have fun in the kitchen by teaching each other how to cook a new dish that will fit into your goals.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    First thought would be sex, but I'm sure there are other things....cackling
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Cook at home and watch a movie or some tv shows.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    I kinda read the thread title as a question about how to eat your significant other. I must be hungry?
  • lsgibbs83
    lsgibbs83 Posts: 254 Member
    Sex.

^^This
  • pamcris
    pamcris Posts: 47 Member
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Have fun in the kitchen by teaching each other how to cook a new dish that will fit into your goals.

This! My hubby and I love planning healthy dishes for the week and then cooking together! We also go to the gym together, even though we have different workouts for the most part. We live in GA so, even though it's pretty cold, it's still nice enough to hike. We do that sometimes. Going to the movies is always great, and my husband loves to bowl, so we do that once every other month (we have little kids so dates are not very frequent). We have also searched and downloaded a lot of nutritonal info from different restaurants. That way we can still go out to eat, but without eating 1500 calories a plate. I guess it depends on what kind of activities you too enjoy. My husband used to play baseball so some times we go batting. And of course I love going shopping, so if the weather is crappy or we don't have much to do, we go to the mall, walk around, shop if we need anything and normally have lunch or dinner around there before we head home.
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    And keep in mind, a medium popcorn at the movie theater can have 1000 calories in it, a lot of them from fat. I try to only eat one cup of the popcorn when we go to the movies, for about 100 calories (much easier to fit into my macros). There are probably a lot of restaraunt meals for less than the 500 calories you are getting at the movie theater. Wendys has good salads, and there are some lower calorie items at Subways, by the way. Have fun :)
  • jaimekbee1219
    jaimekbee1219 Posts: 96 Member
    East Coaster here, too! Other than hiking/walking (which we didn't do often while dating) ... Find a coffee shop! We have a favorite one that we frequented when we were dating. I know a lot of them have food, but you can go for just coffee/tea and conversation. Most of our early dates were concerts and movies - either at home or at the theater. Lots of walking around record stores and book stores - indie ones and Barnes & Noble. Are you near a city? We live in NJ and go to NYC for day dates when we both have a day off - even in the winter!
  • The possibilities are endless... How about a nice and romantic walk?