Study Abroad Recipe Ideas?

Options
Hey y'all, so I'm studying abroad in Dublin soon (currently live in USA). The program doesn't involve a meal plan or host family, so I'll have to purchase and cook all my own food. Does anyone know of any easy to cook dishes I can make while abroad? I don't really know how to cook...

I'd love insight from those from Ireland or the UK. Also, I'll be cooking for two people (boyfriend won't cook, haha) so options for a limited budget would be best. Thanks!

Replies

• malavika413
    malavika413 Posts: 474 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I'm open to any and all cuisines, so long as they are budgeted and don't involve red meat. I'm a very picky eater, so I'm reluctant to try the local food and I'm hoping cooking my own food will be a good alternative.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I suggest a recipe book. If you get one for cooking from scratch, you will find pretty much everything you need in Dublin.
  • malavika413
    Options
    I suggest a recipe book. If you get one for cooking from scratch, you will find pretty much everything you need in Dublin.

I've heard prices are much higher in Europe, though. I'm on a very limited budget and am wondering which options are cheapest and are most versatile.
  • carolinetayloruk
    carolinetayloruk Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    If you'll be living near an Aldi or Lidl go there for meat. Its cheaper then the other supermarkets and of decent quality. I'm in England so can't give you specific advice but i'd recommend getting a cook book (or just google recipes) online of specific dishes that you personally like and then price them up. Tesco is another supermarket that is pretty good value

What concordancia wrote is true, Dublin is a major city and you can get pretty much everything you need. If you are on a student budget then i'd recommend bulking out your meals with lentils and beans. Make things like chilli and lasagnes which can be frozen and multiple packs made

If you are going to be out at uni during the days, take your own lunches. Things like pasta and rice salads which can be carried around. Wraps are also good

Most importantly make sure you have an amazing time. My study abroad was one of the best times of my life. I gained just under a stone in the 7 months I was on mine (in the Netherlands) but I wouldn't change a thing about it (especially not the 4am post clubbing chips with mayonnaise!!)
  • malavika413
    Options
    If you'll be living near an Aldi or Lidl go there for meat. Its cheaper then the other supermarkets and of decent quality. I'm in England so can't give you specific advice but i'd recommend getting a cook book (or just google recipes) online of specific dishes that you personally like and then price them up. Tesco is another supermarket that is pretty good value

What concordancia wrote is true, Dublin is a major city and you can get pretty much everything you need. If you are on a student budget then i'd recommend bulking out your meals with lentils and beans. Make things like chilli and lasagnes which can be frozen and multiple packs made

If you are going to be out at uni during the days, take your own lunches. Things like pasta and rice salads which can be carried around. Wraps are also good

Most importantly make sure you have an amazing time. My study abroad was one of the best times of my life. I gained just under a stone in the 7 months I was on mine (in the Netherlands) but I wouldn't change a thing about it (especially not the 4am post clubbing chips with mayonnaise!!)

Thanks for your advice! Now to get my boyfriend to tolerate lentils and beans, haha.
  • LifeInTheBikeLane
    LifeInTheBikeLane Posts: 345 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

Thanks for your advice! Now to get my boyfriend to tolerate lentils and beans, haha.

Do like I did, tell him if he doesn't learn to eat it he shall starve.

It's how I got my Love to start eating ground turkey and mushrooms. ;)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Bring your own water bottle as their water is pricy.
    Check with the locals about inexpensive take out or restaurants so you have the option to not cook.