Mid 30s with 100lbs to lose.

Options
Hello. A friend of mine was using this site to track her calories and exercise. However, she said that the friends she made were the true inspirations that kept her on track and told me if I were to use this to find myself some like minded people.

I'm in my mid 30s, I've been overweight most of my life to varying degrees. I got pretty serious about shedding weight about 2 years ago and lost 50lbs, but then I let my self sabotaging thoughts in and gained it all back. That's my greatest weakness in weight loss, my own thoughts. I feel so terrible about how I look all the time, I start thinking maybe I'm not worth saving. Of course when you feel like that, who wants to go out and exercise?

So I've taken the step of getting a person to speak to about working through my thought patterns to more positive ways of seeing myself. As we know that isn't enough, I'm here now to track my food in take, and have my eyes opened to what I'm really putting in my body. I'm also here as my friend suggested to find people who are either in the same boat, or have been and remember what it was like to feel like you were drowning in your health choices.

I'm not overly needy, I don't need people to hand hold me every day, but who would be willing to offer a word or two of advice if I ever have questions or ask for suggestions and they have an answer. In return, all I can promise is my complete honesty, my own encouragement to both your positive and negative climbs in your own search for health, and an ear to listen if you need.

Replies

• WonderWoman407
    WonderWoman407 Posts: 4 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    It sounds like we are both in the same boat and our stories are so similar so I know exactly what your going through because I'm currently going through it myself. I'm also in my mid 30's, overweight most of my life, lost a good amount of weight then gained it all back plus. I would love to be your buddy/friend and we can both encourage each other to do our best so we can both get a positive outcome from this. Add me as a friend and I'll add you.
  • pensierobello
    pensierobello Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Hey, I think it's brilliant that you're speaking to someone - I could do with doing the same! Definitely tracking your food intake will make a difference, but the friends thing is also true - it really will make a difference. Do add me if you like :)
  • kristimason3
    kristimason3 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    You are definitely worth it! I know all about self sabotage and would be happy to offer positive motivation and receive them as well. Add me if you like!
  • itsfatum
    itsfatum Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I´m also 30y/o and I´ve been overwheight until I was 28. Nothing like 100lbs to lose, though. Most I had to lose was 40.

I can´t say I´m in the same boat, since I´ve never talked myself down for feeling moody or *kitten* about any of my thoughts. Anything I feel I accept it, whatever it is. If I feel *kitten*... well, emotions are temporary anyway, so why stressing over it.

What I can say is that anything you´ve been fighting for many years, you are going to have to fight for many more years to come. As a personal example, I though I had this food thing figured inside out forever... and baaam! there I went, straight down into a dip in the learning curve. I realized that I never tackled the root of the problem, the anxiety connected to eating, and when I let myself loose of the rules I went back to eating too much.

So, my point is that, whatever it is you feel now, you are going to have to handle it at some point. Your problem sounds emotional, just like mine, and emotions don´t just die forgiven in the past. They last, and they last a long f'ing time. But nothing beats bad emotions better than actions and positive thinking working together as a team.

Feel free to send me a FR if you want. I´ll help with anything I can.
    Cheers!
  • Kriq8
    Kriq8 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I too am in my mid 30s. And have more than 100lbs to lose. I am also new here. I am horrible about staying motivated and hope I find help here too!
  • caperchick78
    caperchick78 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I am 36 and have 161 pounds to lose. I am dow 46 now. I have always struggled with poor body image, even whe I was 115 lbs. I find what is hard now is not focusing on how much I've lost but rather how much more I have left to lose. If I can offer advice, it would be to log here every day and go to the community pages or to your friends here when you feel yourself losing motivation. It helps me a lot!
  • losingles
    losingles Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm in a similar situation: I'm in my thirties, been overweight most of my life, and have over 100 pounds to lose. I'm down nearly 50 pounds (been battling Thanksgiving overload and pretty sure scale will be up on Wednesday :s ) with over a hundred to go. I use mfp to log my calories and get motivation. You're welcome to send me a friend request. :smile:
  • dln1975
    dln1975 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hello there! I am nearing the end of my 30s (turning 40 in January - eek), but I do understand exactly what you're going through as my life is very similar (like so many others it sounds like). I've struggled with my weight for years. Even when I was in my late teens/early 20s and weighed 150 pounds I thought I was fat (if I only knew then what I know now)! When I turned 30 I vowed I would not live my 30s fat, and I did shed quite a bit of weight and was near goal about five years ago, but then I started sliding back into my old habits and old ways of thinking and ended up gaining back everthing I had lost (and then some). I have to make a change and there is no better time than right now!!
  • 2bizzybee
    2bizzybee Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm in my 40's with a 100 lbs to lose. I understand. It is easy to listen to your own negative
    thoughts. You are worth saving! You are here because you want to do better. Be proud
    of yourself for that.
  • ccmzone2013
    ccmzone2013 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I was 400LBS two & half years ago! I never stepped once into a gym. All exercise was done at home. Never Give Up. You WILL achieve your goals/dreams!