Lost 60 LBS, but I Look Like I Lost 15. Anyone Else?

Options

Replies

• FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    .8 g/kg body weight is the minimum RDA which is also considered low for calorie restricted diets in order to retain as much lean body mass as possible. You're about 70kg which means 56g/day is too low. How did you ever come up with 40g?
    100 g/day is 400 calories...
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    fatasfack wrote: »
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Do you eat enough/enough protein? Also, seconding the heavy lifting.

I have eaten at least 40 grams of protein a day. The first month of weight loss I ate probably 10 grams and lost 20 lbs. After that month I've averaged about 40.

you should be getting about 130-150 g of protein a day, not 40 grams.

Whoa, If I aimed for that much I would never have lost a pound. If a chicken breast is about 40 grams of protein and about 400 calories without skin then I would have to eat 4 of those just to meet that requirement. Doesn't that seem excessive?

What is your overall calorie consumption? Protein isn't just meat. It's eggs, cheese, quinoa, fish, milk, vegetables, etc. I don't know what your meals are like but if you add 40gr to each meal then you will easily hit 120gr by the end of the day. It will also keep you full.

Perhaps you need to adjust your macros and, yes, strength train for that tight, compact look.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot, but I eat too many carbs to hit the protein requirement, I think.

So eat less carbs to balance it out....
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »

I have eaten at least 40 grams of protein a day. The first month of weight loss I ate probably 10 grams and lost 20 lbs. After that month I've averaged about 40.

Whoa, If I aimed for that much I would never have lost a pound. If a chicken breast is about 40 grams of protein and about 400 calories without skin then I would have to eat 4 of those just to meet that requirement. Doesn't that seem excessive?

There are more protein sources than chicken breast. I eat anywhere from 90-150 grams of protein a day, and my average calorie intake is 1550. I have an aggressive deficit.
    As of today I've lost 60 pounds exactly. It's very noticeable, and I weigh more than you did at your starting weight.
    Your protein is very low, especially for a man, how are you not hungry? Your diet must be very carb-heavy.

Wow, good job. I am starving all the time. My diet is very carb heavy. I guess I'm eating all the junk I used to eat and I now less protein so that I can hit my calorie requirement.

Protein helps a lot with satiety, as does fiber. I initially just tried to hit the protein goal that MFP has set, then I increased my protein goal once I got into the groove of incorporating protein. I think you'll find your most caloric food entries comes from carbs. I don't eat low carb, I eat roughly the same amount of carbs as I do protein, some days more, some days less, so you don't have to give up carbs, not even your favorite carbs, just cut back some. Carbs and protein are both 4 calories per gram.
    Good luck.

• SteveMFP123
    SteveMFP123 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I think it's just the way you see yourself, I've lost 45lbs but I still see myself as the same when I'm clearly not as I've gone from 5xl - 2xl. Scumbag brain is all it is, I find looking at photos helps, for some reason I can see the difference more in a picture than in the mirror.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    You lost me at 40 g of protein per day.
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options

I see different numbers. One boneless skinless breast is ~140g, with 155 kcals and 32g protein. You can certainly get your protein and keep to your deficit. I know I did.

• redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    biffmon wrote: »

Basic rule of thumb is 1 gram of protein per pound give or take. I'm 189 I have about 170 grams of protein per day and I'm down 40lbs. The interesting thing about high protein foods is that they tend to have less calories and carbs (again a bit of generalization). Combine that with the fact that protein makes you feel fuller, longer it's a great thing to eat. 250 grams of chicken carries about 51 grams of protein. Your average chicken breast is less than 250 grams in size and closer to about 250 calories not 400.

Search for M&M Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast in MFP and you can see for yourself.

40 grams of protein is not nearly enough - especially if you start lifting heavy weights. You need the protein for the building and repair of the muscle. Keep in mind if you start working out heavier and harder you're actually going to need more food - especially if you want to build muscle.

My 2 cents.

It's 1 gram per lb of lean body mass not total body weight, So your way over.
  • fatasfack
    fatasfack Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    You probably look better than you think, lol.

I do know the pain of losing a lot and not looking like you thought you would at that point. Partly loose skin, partly age. The last time I weighed this amount, I was like 20 years old, lol. I cannot expect to look now like I did then!

If muscle is a big concern, lift weights or do bodyweight stuff. It's good for your bones, too. :)

Hi, I gained the weight when I was 30 and now I'm 32. Could those 2 years totally reconfigure where fat is distributed in my face and how much of it is in my face?
    Obviously not age for you.

I have the feeling if you ask others, they'll see you differently than you see you.

General protein rule: .8g/kg of body weight/day. Athletes from 1.2 - 1.7/kg BW/day.

I never hit my number. It's hard for me. Working on it!

Thanks, I don't know if I can muster that, but I'll try. Thanks.
  • redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    A couple protein shakes in-between meals and you're golden. I get 150 plus grams a day and stay under my 1550 cal goal.
  • raysputin
    raysputin Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Looks, not important. Health, important. How much visceral fat have you lost? It's hard to tell because it is all internal. You may not have lost as much muscle as you think. However, a good exercise and eating regime never goes astray.
  • fatasfack
    Options
    raysputin wrote: »
    Looks, not important. Health, important. How much visceral fat have you lost? It's hard to tell because it is all internal. You may not have lost as much muscle as you think. However, a good exercise and eating regime never goes astray.

I would agree with you if I was older than 32. I'm not that vain, but I'm young and I'm at a point in my life where I need to be attractive for career and interpersonal reasons, especially because I live in L.A. I'm not sure how much visceral fat I've lost, but I'll look into that. Thanks for the tip.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options

Chicken isn't 400 calories for 40g of protein. More like 200 calories max.

Also you need more protein.
  • flatlndr
    Options

Perhaps you need to adjust your macros and, yes, strength train for that tight, compact look.

I'll second that suggestion. I've been in maintenance now for 3 months, and in that time I've held weight, but lost an inch around the waist.
  • flatlndr
    Options

I do know the pain of losing a lot and not looking like you thought you would at that point. Partly loose skin, partly age. The last time I weighed this amount, I was like 20 years old, lol. I cannot expect to look now like I did then!

If muscle is a big concern, lift weights or do bodyweight stuff. It's good for your bones, too. :)
    It's true. I had to lose 100 pound before I started feeling like I've lost enough weight to make a difference in my look, and even now I feel myself to be fatter than I used to be in 2002, when I was 15 pounds higher than I am now.

You can't choose where your fat melts first, so it may just be the case of losing fat from areas that you tend not to pay attention to. Just keep at it and you will eventually get to a point where you start noticing a difference.

It's good to hear that someone had the same issue. Unfotunately, I'm 15 pounds away from being underweight, so if I don't look right in 15 lbs, I'm stuck this way for the rest of my life. Also, If I lose those 15 lbs, my daily calorie max will be 1900 which is pretty tough to maintain for a guy who is 6 feet tall. I'm afraid I'm probably stuck this way forever

If you're 6 ft tall, yet weigh 154, and think you look fleshy, then strength training + hitting protein targets seems like the combo for you. For reference, I'm 5'10 and 174, currently at maintenance. I plan to drop a final 5-10 after the holidays (I needed take a break from weight loss after dropping 105 in 8 months), but getting down to 154 would be too light for me. I'm guessing you're suffering from being "skinny fat" at the moment, so hitting the weights should help readjust your body composition.

• MamaP47
    MamaP47 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with everyone. You need more protein, especially if you want to build and preserve your muscle mass. I'm 5' and I get anywhere from 90 - 120 grams of protein each day.

Getting your protein in is a lot easier with protein shakes. I use the Lean protein kind since I don't want to bulk up. In the morning I take my protein and mix it with my powder multi-vitamins. It's around 300 calories.

Then after a hard workout or as a snack, I mix my protein, milk, and fresh fruit for an awesome smoothie. That's about 200-400 calories depending on what I throw in there.
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    flatlndr wrote: »

It's true. I had to lose 100 pound before I started feeling like I've lost enough weight to make a difference in my look, and even now I feel myself to be fatter than I used to be in 2002, when I was 15 pounds higher than I am now.

You can't choose where your fat melts first, so it may just be the case of losing fat from areas that you tend not to pay attention to. Just keep at it and you will eventually get to a point where you start noticing a difference.

It's good to hear that someone had the same issue. Unfotunately, I'm 15 pounds away from being underweight, so if I don't look right in 15 lbs, I'm stuck this way for the rest of my life. Also, If I lose those 15 lbs, my daily calorie max will be 1900 which is pretty tough to maintain for a guy who is 6 feet tall. I'm afraid I'm probably stuck this way forever

If you're 6 ft tall, yet weigh 154, and think you look fleshy, then strength training + hitting protein targets seems like the combo for you. For reference, I'm 5'10 and 174, currently at maintenance. I plan to drop a final 5-10 after the holidays (I needed take a break from weight loss after dropping 105 in 8 months), but getting down to 154 would be too light for me. I'm guessing you're suffering from being "skinny fat" at the moment, so hitting the weights should help readjust your body composition.

I was going to say the same thing ("skinny fat"). I don't think it's in the OP's head that he was smaller when he was heavier. It seems that he's lost a bit of lean muscle and now his bodyfat % is probably higher.

OP, you said you're starving and you are less than pleased with your body image. Virtually every poster has explained why that is and what will help you. The answer is obvious from your original post. There's really not an alternative. I see a lot of people on here say that you should not eliminate foods from your diet (e.g., because diets don't work, but lifestyle changes do...). I believe for some (or most?) people that is true. The other thing they say is that you can eat any food but "in moderation". Meaning, not as much. But not that it's not just about the calories in/out. Yes, you will lose weight with a caloric deficit. But it's about the macros as well. I'm pretty sure everyone on here would agree with that. Protein helps satiate hunger, helps repair/maintain/build muscle and also doesn't get stored in the body as fat (e.g., like carbs do). I think you should research how your body uses macronutrients and tailor your eating to what your goals are. There's a wealth of info on here and the internet. If you want to look lean/tight you need to lower bodyfat, do strength training and eat enough protein.

Good luck.
  • fatasfack
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

I guess it depends on the weight of the chicken breast. They usually range anywhere from .2 lbs to .5 lbs, so calorie content will vary.
  • flatlndr
    Options

I guess it depends on the weight of the chicken breast. They usually range anywhere from .2 lbs to .5 lbs, so calorie content will vary.

All the more reason to weigh your food. An accurate log really helps.

• fatasfack
    Options

All the more reason to weigh your food. An accurate log really helps.

Yeah, I was only eating chicken that I bought at whole foods for the longest time because it had the weight right on the package. Whole Foods is key for weight loss
  • fatasfack
    Options
    astrose00 wrote: »

I was going to say the same thing ("skinny fat"). I don't think it's in the OP's head that he was smaller when he was heavier. It seems that he's lost a bit of lean muscle and now his bodyfat % is probably higher.

OP, you said you're starving and you are less than pleased with your body image. Virtually every poster has explained why that is and what will help you. The answer is obvious from your original post. There's really not an alternative. I see a lot of people on here say that you should not eliminate foods from your diet (e.g., because diets don't work, but lifestyle changes do...). I believe for some (or most?) people that is true. The other thing they say is that you can eat any food but "in moderation". Meaning, not as much. But not that it's not just about the calories in/out. Yes, you will lose weight with a caloric deficit. But it's about the macros as well. I'm pretty sure everyone on here would agree with that. Protein helps satiate hunger, helps repair/maintain/build muscle and also doesn't get stored in the body as fat (e.g., like carbs do). I think you should research how your body uses macronutrients and tailor your eating to what your goals are. There's a wealth of info on here and the internet. If you want to look lean/tight you need to lower bodyfat, do strength training and eat enough protein.

Good luck.

Thank you. Unfortunately, I'm really too light to drop much further without looking really ridiculous. I guess I'm stuck this way for life. I wish I would have known this before I got fat.