If you've had a Tummy Tuck, I need Advice

Options
So here's my story... my BMI is about 31 or so so I am just over overweight. I have a history of eating disorders and am never able to stick to a diet for more than a week or two because I get way too obsessive and also get to deprived that I end up going on massive binges. My worst body part in my opinion ins my belly- is is huge and overhanging (I'm 5'3' and my waist is 35 inches). Even when I have a lost a significant amount of weight (35 lbs a few years ago before disordered eating), my stomach has never gotten any smaller and I hate it, I have the money for a tummy tuck but I was wondering if anyone in a similar situation has experience.
Do you have to lose weight before a doctor will agree to perform a tummy tuck on you? How did your experience go?

Replies

• rebeccaisafish
    rebeccaisafish Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely no expert on the subject, but I thought tummy tuck was basically just skin removal, meaning that you'd need to be close to your goal weight for it to be successful. I could be wrong though.
  • Ashmorejennifer1
    Options
    I'm pretty sure it is but a lot of the newer versions, especially the ones in my area, have optional liposuction to go with them. It's like a combined lipo/tummy tuck procedure.
  • MrsSanthoff
    MrsSanthoff Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I believe most doctors recommend that your BMI be at 29 or below but everyone's situation is different. I am getting a TT in November and I am not at my goal weight but my bmi is at 29.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Your best bet would be to go in and have a consultation with a plastic surgeon and see what they recommend.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    It is major surgery. Be careful.
  • to_be_little
    Options
    I was overwieghts with a but more of a bmi then you. I had a breast reduction and also a hernia repair at the same time. A full tummy tuck also corrects your muscles and tightens them.
    The healing takes forever! I'm almost 2 no post op and still can't workout :-( However, my results are fantastic. Also, my healthy non stretch marked tummy skin will bounce back better once I am at my preferred weight.
    I can't wait to see how it feels to exercise without a painful hernia!
    I am seeking friends please add me if you'd like.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    If you don't work on your disordered eating then a tummy tuck, which is major surgery despite the cutesy name, won't help long-term