will i lose weight eating this?

Options
breakfast - plain microwave porridge with a teaspoon of honey and some cinnamon
lunch - 1 whole avocado (i'm unsure as to this is too much due to the high calorie and fat content..but heard it's healthy fats??) and a cereal bar
dinner (havent had yet but will be) - wholewheat pasta (50g), reduced fat green pesto, spinach, cherry tomatoes, sweetcorn, red peppers..

How much will I lose with this kind of thing? (obviously not eating the same thing daily, but this kind of thing/amount)

Any advice would be great I'm looking to lose about 11 pounds

Replies

• peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    It depends on how many calories it takes for you to sit at maintenance, and if that is under your maintenance number.
  • ell_23
    ell_23 Posts: 103
    Options
    You need to work out the calories in the amounts you're eating. How much porridge you have, how big the avocado is, what cereal bar it is… At a glance that could be anything from 1000 to 1500. More likely to be around 1200-1300ish I think, so yes, that's definitely going to be below your maintenance no matter what gender, height or weight you are. Whether that's exactly healthy I don't know. Where's the bulk of your protein? And why not have a proper meal and not just an avocado for lunch?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight eating anything, but you'll be more full and more healthy if you stick with healthy foods. Watch your calories. :)
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    It depends on how many calories it takes for you to sit at maintenance, and if that is under your maintenance number.
    yup
  • FortWildernessLoopy
    Options
    Yep, what the PP said. Check your metrics. As long as you are eating less calories than you're burning, you will lose weight even if you're only eating m&ms. Nutritionally, looks like you're on the right track, but outside of knowing what you're burning, there's no way to tell.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    lunch - 1 whole avocado (i'm unsure as to this is too much due to the high calorie and fat content..but heard it's healthy fats??) and a cereal bar
    dinner (havent had yet but will be) - wholewheat pasta (50g), reduced fat green pesto, spinach, cherry tomatoes, sweetcorn, red peppers..

How much will I lose with this kind of thing? (obviously not eating the same thing daily, but this kind of thing/amount)

Looks like very little protein and few calories over all.
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Are you a vegetarian or vegan? You need some protein. Try tofu, beans, greek yogurt. And try to make your meals more "balanced" in terms of hitting carbs, proteins and fats, depending on your daily or weekly targets. There are tons of meals plans all over the internet and many suggestions on this site. Check out some of them and tweak to suit your tastes. As other posters have stated there is no way to know how much you will lose on any eating plan. Factors like amount of calories consumed, activity level, current weight, gender, height, age, all come into play.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It's probably under your maintenance calories unless you are eating some insane amount of oatmeal, but it's not particularly balanced, so could be a lot healthier. I'd find it unsatisfying.

Since this tool is set up to help you estimate your calorie goal and count calories, why not start by logging some sample meals? I personally find more protein and less starch more satisfying, but that will differ from person to person.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-08-10-newbie-help-post-685689

First, look at the BMI chart linked in the "goal setting" post (in the help post above) & make sure that your goal weight is in the middle of the green range for your height.

Second, with only 11 lb to lose it's going to go very slowly. 0.5 lb per week would be a win.

Third, see the sexypants thread (linked at the top of that help post).

Fourth, if you eat fewer calories than you burn, you will lose weight. My doctor & dietician told me to eat 10x my healthy goal weight in calories. You could also cut 250 cal from maintenance. And you need to be eating a variety of whole, healthy foods (use few processed foods, lots of veggies, fruits, whole grains, lean meats, beans).

51637601.png
  • coraborealis80
    coraborealis80 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    This is a really, really unhealthy option. High carbs and high fat with almost no protein, which your body neeeeeeds. If you're looking for low calorie options, we can do better than this. Altogether, your meals for the day are about 917 calories and over 70% of your daily carb intake, and that is awfully low with low nutritional content and high starch and sugars-you're going to bloat. But, to put it into perspective, if you insist on staying this low cal, here's what you could have instead.

Instead of your bowl of oatmeal and honey, you could have:
    1 hardboiled egg
    1 cup fruit-blueberries
    2 cups babyspinach
    1 cup iced tea
    The fruit, spinach and tea make a blender juice. A BIG one. This is 175 calories altogether, near your bowl of oatmeal with honey.

Instead of your avocado and cereal bar, which is nearly 530 calories, you could fill up on:
    6 oz. of chicken (about one big breast)
    1/2 avocado
    4 cherry tomatoes
    1 cup of spinach
    Up to 2 Tbsp of just about any salad dressing
    Is going to take you to around 530 calories, depending on your dressing.

And that dinner.
    If you're craving pasta, well, let me put it to you this way.
    1 small zucchini, sliced thin like lasagna noodles
    1/2 cup jimmy dean turkey crumbles
    1 cup of tomato, chopped
    1/4 cup mozarella, fat free, shredded
    Italian herbs of your choice.
    Layer and bake like mini lasagna.
    20 calories

Now, that was me trying to stick close to things you'd probably have or be able to get easily. I can shave about 20 calories more off the dinner by subbing shirataki pasta and fill you up to the point of thanksgiving day (a whole bag of that is a large spaghetti dinner, and about 30 cal on the high end). This total is for about 945 calories, and you're much more likely to stick to it. It's got more nutrients, less starchy carbs, more protein, and is going to be a lot more satiating.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    This is a really, really unhealthy option. High carbs and high fat with almost no protein, which your body neeeeeeds. If you're looking for low calorie options, we can do better than this. Altogether, your meals for the day are about 917 calories and over 70% of your daily carb intake, and that is awfully low with low nutritional content and high starch and sugars-you're going to bloat. But, to put it into perspective, if you insist on staying this low cal, here's what you could have instead.

1 hardboiled egg
    1 cup fruit-blueberries
    2 cups babyspinach
    1 cup iced tea
    The fruit, spinach and tea make a blender juice. A BIG one. This is 175 calories altogether, near your bowl of oatmeal with honey.

Instead of your avocado and cereal bar, which is nearly 530 calories, you could fill up on:
    1/2 avocado
    4 cherry tomatoes
    1 cup of spinach

And that dinner.
    1 cup of tomato, chopped
    20 calories

Now, that was me trying to stick close to things you'd probably have or be able to get easily. I can shave about 20 calories more off the dinner by subbing shirataki pasta and fill you up to the point of thanksgiving day (a whole bag of that is a large spaghetti dinner, and about 30 cal on the high end). This total is for about 945 calories, and you're much more likely to stick to it. It's got more nutrients, less starchy carbs, more protein, and is going to be a lot more satiating.

what is wrong with real pasta?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    OP - if you are in a deficit then you will lose weight. However, your meal plan does sound a tad boring. Do you own a food scale? Weigh/log/measure everything? If not, then you should get one and do that.

my diary is open if you would like to browse it for ideas….
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

1 hardboiled egg
    1 cup fruit-blueberries
    2 cups babyspinach
    1 cup iced tea

1/2 avocado
    4 cherry tomatoes
    1 cup of spinach

And that dinner.
    1 cup of tomato, chopped
    20 calories

What's wrong with her version of lasagna?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

Losing weight is not about "can I eat this?" It's about eating less than what you burn.

Weigh the porridge, honey, whole avocado, pasta (weigh it dry), pesto, spinach, cherry tomatoes, sweetcorn, and red peppers, log them in according to weight, and see how many calories they come out to.

It it's more than the calories you need to lose weight, cut back accordingly.

If it's less than the calories you need to lose weight, then add something else.

If you exercise and eat those calories back, and you get those estimates from the MFP database or internet sources or apps, eat only about 50-75% of those back because they are usually overstated.
  • philipak9099
    philipak9099 Posts: 3 Member
    Options

1 hardboiled egg
    1 cup fruit-blueberries
    2 cups babyspinach
    1 cup iced tea

1/2 avocado
    4 cherry tomatoes
    1 cup of spinach

And that dinner.
    1 cup of tomato, chopped
    20 calories

the only high fat is the avocado which is healthy fats no? and the pesto, although i';ll literally be using a third of the jar which is not a lot and it's a 39% less fat version.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    Fourth, if you eat fewer calories than you burn, you will lose weight. My doctor & dietician told me to eat 10x my healthy goal weight in calories. You could also cut 250 cal from maintenance. And you need to be eating a variety of whole, healthy foods (use few processed foods, lots of veggies, fruits, whole grains, lean meats, beans).
    I do not recommend people base their calories on 10X their body weight. Use a TDEE calculator or use MFP or another type app to set up your calories goals.

OP, eat what you like, just make sure it's less calories than you burn.

• SLLRunner
    edited November 2014
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

1 hardboiled egg
    1 cup fruit-blueberries
    2 cups babyspinach
    1 cup iced tea

1/2 avocado
    4 cherry tomatoes
    1 cup of spinach

And that dinner.
    1 cup of tomato, chopped
    20 calories

What's wrong with her version of lasagna?

Corrinet is telling her to do away with the pasta all together and to make a pasta type casserole with squash. There is nothing wrong with the real pasta in the OP's menu, just as there is nothing wrong with the spinach dish. However, the point is to eat what you like and work it into your calorie goals.

I know for me it's important to eat the real stuff and not substitute. :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Eat in a caloric deficit and you'll lose weight. Looks like you need more protein in there though.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    MKEgal wrote: »
    I do not recommend people base their calories on 10X their body weight. Use a TDEE calculator or use MFP or another type app to set up your calories goals.

OP, eat what you like, just make sure it's less calories than you burn.

I highly, highly, highly second this. Calculate, eat at maintenance for a month or two to monitor, then bring calories down by about 10-15% (based on your current 10lb goal) and monitor.

and regarding OP's comments about "healthy fats," it doesn't matter if they are "healthy" or not. If eating these things results in being at or above maintenance, you won't lose weight.
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Genuine question - how do you get as far as signing up and finding the forums without doing all of the goal-setting and reading about calorie counting?