How does rice contribute to weight gain?

Options

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    How I respond when people tell me certain foods will prevent weight loss:

ZtSvv1c.gif
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »

ZtSvv1c.gif

bahahahahahahahaha

i wonder if Chapelle eats white carbs...
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    AJ_G wrote: »

ZtSvv1c.gif

bahahahahahahahaha

i wonder if Chapelle eats white carbs...

I ate white carbs today. Cauliflower and wax beans. I even ate them with garlic chicken...also white. Still ended up with less than 60 grams of carb, even after snacking on a protein bar.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I'm from a rice eating culture, so I understand where your aunt is coming from and why rice makes her gain weight. Our rice portions are at least 3 times the size of a recommended portion. What others explained is absolutely right in that it's all about the calories, but some of them may not be aware that in some cultures 2 cups of cooked rice is a normal, and even smallish portion.

I've lost 45 kg so far, and had to cut down on rice quite a bit. Not because it has some magic fattening properties, but because if I kept eating it at my regular portion (2.5 cups), it would make a big dent in my calorie budget (600 calories from rice alone without counting the oil it's cooked in).

By cutting down on rice, your aunt created a calorie deficit. By replacing it with basmati, she is able to last longer before getting hungry again since it has a slightly lower glycemic index, in addition to being slightly lower in calories. The difference is not that noticable though, so she may be just fine if she decides to switch to white rice.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    gcdn wrote: »
    Guys,I need some help here.I was talking to my Aunty who lost a huge amount of weight (app 20-30kg).But anyway she told me she stopped eating rice,especially white rice and now resorted to a fist size portion of white basmati rice.She said once she starts eating rice,she'll grow horizontally.Bread doesn't cause the same effect tho. Well,this is new to me and I've searched all over google but couldn't find anything related to this.Personally,I too stopped eating rice but I don't grow horizontally like she does.Even after months of not eating rice,I can down one full plate of rice without any bad effects.Any ideas guys?

We are all different and one food may give different weight gain patterns from one person to another. If your Aunty is older than you as often is the case with aunts the type/amount of rice may be too much for her now. Carbs I get from white sugar in a drink increases my pain level whereas eating a starchy baked potato does not do that. We know not all calories are equal from person to person or the same person over time.

Sounds like your Aunty is smart enough to figure out what works and does not work for her waist line. Her advice may be of more value to you 30 years down the road perhaps. :)

Her aunt eating the same calories from rice, chicken, chocolate, sugary drinks, broccoli, oranges, whatever will result in the same fat gain/loss. CICO.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options
    Maybe she simply meant that with the higher glycemic load in white rice, she crashed and was hungry sooner and therefore was inspired to eat larger quantities.
  • FitFroglet
    FitFroglet Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I can only imagine that your auntie ate a lot of rice and either didn't replace it with anything or replaced it with high-bulk low-calorie foods (vegetables) and inadvertently created a calorie deficit.
    I've lost 38lb so far and eat rice regularly.
  • fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I just ate a McRib
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options
    I just ate a McRib

Was it full of rice?
  • fearlessleader104
    Options
    No, but the sushi from lunch had a lot of rice. The McRib is full of chemicals in its bread that is well known to counteract the negative made-up effects of white rice. So I am all good now :D
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options
    No, but the sushi from lunch had a lot of rice. The McRib is full of chemicals in its bread that is well known to counteract the negative made-up effects of white rice. So I am all good now :D

If I don't like McRibs, or anything else at McDonald's, can I get these magic made-up negative white rice effect counteracting chemicals in the form of a capsule?

Or a caramel sundae. That's the one thing on the McDonald's menu I will eat.
  • fearlessleader104
    Options
    I heard from highly respectable sources in the scientific community that the only other way would be to rub a sumo wrestler's leg right after he eats 5 bowls of rice.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    It doesn't. Caloric surplus contributes to weight gain.
    She stopped eating rice = she lowered her caloric intake
    or
    she stopped eating rice = she reduced her water retention and thus reduced her bloat.

This.

Although if you can live without rice (or you can reduce the amount you eat of it) - it's a quick and easy way to reduce your cal intake and helps towards a deficit! It's a food you can drop without having an impact on you Micro nutrients!

• libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    gcdn wrote: »
    Guys,I need some help here.I was talking to my Aunty who lost a huge amount of weight (app 20-30kg).But anyway she told me she stopped eating rice,especially white rice and now resorted to a fist size portion of white basmati rice.She said once she starts eating rice,she'll grow horizontally.Bread doesn't cause the same effect tho. Well,this is new to me and I've searched all over google but couldn't find anything related to this.Personally,I too stopped eating rice but I don't grow horizontally like she does.Even after months of not eating rice,I can down one full plate of rice without any bad effects.Any ideas guys?

I eat rice almost daily and I am not growing in anyway. I think just eating at a calorie deficit is the answer to losing weight. Of course, there are many dietary alternations one can make. Choose the combinations that work best for you.
  • skinny0000
    skinny0000 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    It has calories.
  • GoneGirl50
    GoneGirl50 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I just copied an article excerpt from the thread "good news for people who like to eat fat". It's a study done at Ohio state, and just published this week:

"looking at palmitoleic acid, however, the scientists found that it consistently decreased on the high-fat/low-carb diet in all participants. The fatty acid then showed a step-wise increase in concentration in the blood as carbs were progressively added to the diet. Elevated levels of palmitoleic acid in the blood have been linked to obesity and higher risk for inflammation, insulin resistance, impaired glucose tolerance, metabolic syndrome, type-2 diabetes, heart disease and prostate cancer.

The study does not address what happens to palmitoleic acid levels when high carbs are combined with a diet high in saturated fat. Instead, Volek hoped to identify the carb-intake point at which participants began to store fat.

“That turned out to be highly variable,” he said. “Everyone showed increased palmitoleic acid levels as carbs increased, but values varied widely between individuals, especially at the highest carb intake. This is consistent with the idea that people vary widely in their tolerance to carbohydrates.”

Participants’ existing health risks were not a factor in the study because everyone ate the exact same diet for 18 weeks. Their bodies’ responses to the food were the focus of the work."

http://news.osu.edu/news/2014/11/21/study-doubling-saturated-fat-in-the-diet-does-not-increase-saturated-fat-in-blood/
  • nuvimi
    nuvimi Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    If one eats rice to grow horizontally, what does one eat to grow vertically?
  • Vitaphobia
    Options
    I really cant imagine rice being fattening, it is the easiest to digest grain. maybe white rice because it is more refined/ without its husk? I eat sweet-brown rice a lot and don't gain weight, but I cant eat bread very well.
    peoples metabolisms and genetics are different though,
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    It doesn't. Caloric surplus contributes to weight gain.
    She stopped eating rice = she lowered her caloric intake
    or
    she stopped eating rice = she reduced her water retention and thus reduced her bloat.

What she said. I was reading about rice again today. Besides food safety, then didnt notice anything special other than white rice isnt as good as wild rice. I have cut rice right back because I used to cook such a large portion of it, but have moved on now. She probbaly just needs protion control , certainly havent heard about anything special, sounds a bit like people know person x can eat whatever they want and it never affects them....

Doubt the mcrib is that great a quality of meat either.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    A lot of people think that if something works for them, it will work for everyone else.

Your aunt may have had a problem with rice. If eating rice caused her to want more and more rice, she may have eliminated it and found life to be much easier and weight much easier to lose. If she's one of those folks who think that everyone else is exactly like them, she may naturally assume that her solutions will work for everyone.

But everyone is different. You have to find what works for you. :)