Help with self-discipline?

So, my biggest issue at the moment, now that I'm coming back after a while gone, is that I can't get myself to stick to my plan. I think my plan is a pretty good one and has been co-created by my doctor, but with the usual constraints of work, children, stress, etc, I find that I either "forgot" to lay off certain things, log, or whatever, or life occurs and thwarts whatever I managed to carefully plan, then it all goes to hell. Any tips, tricks, ideas, etc, as to how to deal with a busy life while creating a new lifestyle?

Replies

• 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Identify those times of the day when you can be most productive at achieving your goals and ensure that you protect that time and use it wisely.
  • catb58
    catb58 Posts: 239 Member
    Little steps at a time. It's tough to make a lot of changes at one time and you may do much better to just take it slowly to start off.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Everyone has a busy life. Every single person posting in the success stories has a busy life. A busy life is no excuse.

The best thing you can do for a "busy life" is to cook everything in bulk, and then freeze it.

Going to have chicken, and vegetables most of the week? Get a couple pounds of chicken, cook it all at once, cook a whole bunch of vegetables, portion them all out into separate containers, freeze... reheat for a few minutes.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Better time management.
    Better ornaginsation and planning. It should take into account all the threats to steering you off course you have suggested. People dont spend long enough planning, so they get thrown off course about what to do when situation x happens.
    More focus and commitment. These are essential it helps clarify your decision making.

Im a great believer in routine and the creation of habits. they are the backbone to your plan. they are things you do in a certain way , maybe at a certain time and you get them out of the way. It gets the bulk of the stuff to do with diet and exercise out of the way and leaves less room for things to go wrong. Make a daily or weekly checklist and stick to it.

If its important enough for you, then you will get it done and keep on it until its finished.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Try pre-logging your day, helps me tremendously. It's the first thing I do every morning, so No excuses!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    A plan can be as good as hell but not work if it isn't the right plan for you. It's not a good plan if you can't stick to it. It should be your plan, not your doctor's. A good plan works with, and not against everyday challenges. Make a plan you want to follow, then you'll want to follow it, and you will follow it.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    ColdPlum wrote: »
    So, my biggest issue at the moment, now that I'm coming back after a while gone, is that I can't get myself to stick to my plan. I think my plan is a pretty good one and has been co-created by my doctor, but with the usual constraints of work, children, stress, etc, I find that I either "forgot" to lay off certain things, log, or whatever, or life occurs and thwarts whatever I managed to carefully plan, then it all goes to hell. Any tips, tricks, ideas, etc, as to how to deal with a busy life while creating a new lifestyle?

Make it a priority... You don't 'forget' to go to work, or do the cleaning because you know it has to be done...
  • ColdPlum
    ColdPlum Posts: 57 Member
    Thanks guys, you've given me some good ideas, and since its still early on Sunday, I can make some plans and preparations today. kommoodevaran, thanks for your thoughts, but the plan is totally necessary, I've got some specific health issues happening that force me to accommodate them, even though its not the most fun plan. Weight loss is not my only issue.
  • monicabroadbentswearingen
    monicabroadbentswearingen Posts: 42 Member
    edited November 2014
    I agree with you ColdPlum. you have to have a plan when your dealing with other issues medically. I guess first off I would like to know what type of Doctor you are working with on this. I do agree with one of the other people who said "chart at the beginning of the day" Plan your meals for the day a head of time and leave yourself some room to work with for those moments that sneak up on you. Also the one that said "cook and freeze your food a head of time". I know a lot of people that spend like 1/2 a day making good healthy foods to freeze so it is easier at meal times. I also think if you carry good healthy snacks in your vehicle so when you run into those circumstances you have something to grab to hold you over until you get home and can eat according to your plan. Exercise is always the hardest for me to fit in. I use all kinds of excuse to not be able to go exercise. But it is amazing how I feel when I do exercise on a regular basis. So of course this is something I have to work on. If there is anything I can help you with feel free to contact me, sounds like we are dealing with the same problems. Good luck (*)
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    a) as said, make it a priority. Pre-log, pre cook, etc.

b) Don't cut out foods that you enjoy. You shouldn't have to "lay off" of anything outside of eating less of it to make it fit into your calories.

c) Making sure the calorie count is reasonable. How many calories are you eating? what's your estimated maintenance calorie level? Are you doing TDEE method or net method of logging and eating back exercise calories? eating the proper amount of calories seriously makes all of this so much easier to stick with.
  • sungoddess337
    sungoddess337 Posts: 62 Member
    When you say you are busy you are saying that your needs are not important enough for you to set aside time for you.I bet all the people in your life don't get put on the back burner. You do deserve a healthy lifestyle and fit body. I do this same thing but am working on it. Take time every morning or night, whichever one works best for you. You can do this.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    A plan can be as good as hell but not work if it isn't the right plan for you. It's not a good plan if you can't stick to it. It should be your plan, not your doctor's. A good plan works with, and not against everyday challenges. Make a plan you want to follow, then you'll want to follow it, and you will follow it.

+1
  • fat2strongbeth
    fat2strongbeth Posts: 735 Member
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Try pre-logging your day, helps me tremendously. It's the first thing I do every morning, so No excuses!

This is great advice. I don't do it everyday, but do when I find myself slipping or know that I will have challenging food choices for the day.
  • gertudejekyl
    gertudejekyl Posts: 386 Member
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    This is best. Also prayer may sometimes help.

• ColdPlum
    ColdPlum Posts: 57 Member
    Thank you everyone for taking the time to respond and help me along!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited November 2014
    Good habits are formed in the doing. You have to do it over and over until it becomes habit.

Honestly, though, it sounds like you don't really want to do the work involved with losing right now. So, eat what you want and enjoy it until you are ready. Be happy with what you're doing! Don't sit around eating things you shouldn't and being miserable about it. Enjoy it!!! You can lose weight when you're ready to do that, when you really want to.

When you want to do it, nothing will stop you. :)