Give me some tips.

Options
I keep doing the wrong choices when it comes down to what i shall eat. Can you please give me some tips to help me get on a healthier diet! There are so many information out there and I am really confused on what should i eat!

Replies

• fat2strongbeth
    fat2strongbeth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    What are you eating? What are your goals?
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    There are no right or wrong things to eat. That's the only tip you need.
  • nikki0308hope
    Options
    betharin wrote: »

Well I try to eat healthy foods like salads and chicken etc. but when I am emotional I end up eating chocolates and crisps and all these unhealthy snacks and I don't know how to control it. I know it is up to me to find a way to control my emotions and make better choices but I really don't know how. One more thing that I do wrong is that most of the times because I am working till late someone else is cooking for me and usually is fried food, i try to eat more salad but I just cant resist.

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    betharin wrote: »

Well I try to eat healthy foods like salads and chicken etc. but when I am emotional I end up eating chocolates and crisps and all these unhealthy snacks and I don't know how to control it. I know it is up to me to find a way to control my emotions and make better choices but I really don't know how. One more thing that I do wrong is that most of the times because I am working till late someone else is cooking for me and usually is fried food, i try to eat more salad but I just cant resist.

Fix what is making you emotional. Seek some help.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    You can eat whatever you'd like in moderation. However, if you have problems with emotional eating, it's probably best not to keep those types of foods around the house.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    It doesn't have to all be salad and plain chicken. There are millions of different foods out there. Life does not have to be boring or complicated just because you're trying to lose weight. Eat the things you like, think about the levels of protein, fat, and carbs that you have as your goals and fill in the blanks.

You are more than welcome to peek at my food diary. I'm not doing this whole thing perfectly, but what I am doing is working well for me. But if you look back over my last several weeks you'll see lots of things like cereal, potatoes, rice, steak, hamburgers, chicken, fish, eggs, sandwiches, a variety of fruits, a variety of vegetables, granola bars, and an occasional candy bar.

There is no 'wrong'. Try to get that idea out of your head. The best way (in my opinion) to make changes in your weight is to make small changes to your diet that you'll be able to continue with in the long term. This doesn't have to be hard.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Watch Secret Eaters, lol.

There is so much involved in switching to healthy from junk and that's mostly because we all have food we like and don't like, so we have to pick from what we are willing/able to eat. The more fruits and veggies you like, the more easy it is. Keep trying new things!

I think this is a great place to start (it's American, but so am I, and its good): http://www.fitness.gov/eat-healthy/how-to-eat-healthy/

Eating junk food when you have certain emotions is a bad habit that you need to break. Just don't keep it in the house until you've broken that habit and have replaced bad habits with good ones. Switching habits is in the doing. You just have to keep doing it. That's how it becomes habit! (If you try and try and find that it seems like your eating is out of your control, get some therapy. Smart people get help when they need it!)

Congrats on beginning to switch your diet. That's part of a lifestyle change.

Try to work in more healthy things all the time. Watch your macros. Get rid of sugar and replace that column with fiber. If you're eating fruit, you'll exceed that sugar number all the time. Fiber is important and helps keep you feeling full, so if you aren't eating much, raise it slowly (too fast and you'll bloat...and fart all the time, lol.)

It takes time, so don't let yourself get discouraged. You don't have to be perfect right away, just keep plugging along,

"Eat right and exercise." We've all heard it a million times. It's old, it's boring, it's not generally written up in Cosmo. But it works! And the experts say that the few people who keep the weight off for a long time - most of them made lifestyle changes. So, statistically, it may be the smart way to go.

Healthy food makes a healthy you! :)
  • thin2win777
    thin2win777 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have a reminder set daily in my phone that says "it doesn't matter if you eat or don't eat :):) " this is saying that I feel the same whether I eat unnecessarily or not, so I just let it ride..food doesn't fix anything in the mind!
  • nikki0308hope
    Options
    Thank you all for your advises. I read all of them and I am trying to motivate myself and follow your lead.

• monicabroadbentswearingen
    Options
    For me mood eating is the worst. I do see a Doctor to help me with this. She is fantastic. This is something I have done my entire life, so of course it doesn't just stop because I am on a journey to a healthy life style. I needed help so I am getting it. This is defiantly a mind set you have to control. First thing to do is clean out your cupboards. If it's junk throw it out. Then go shopping and buy healthy foods that you like. Cook and freeze healthy meals so you have something easy to go to. Also keep healthy snacks around only if you can keep yourself from eating several of them at one time. Cause that won't help either. To much of a good thing is not a good thing LOL. Are you drinking plenty of water. This is so important for everyone. I am constantly drinking water. I buy flavoring for my water off of Yoli on line so I know it's a healthy natural flavoring. I also do shakes from Myfitmis.com I also have a busy life, so I make one every morning for breakfast and drink it on my way to work. I also put fruit and veggies in it and use Almond Milk unsweetened in it. It taste great and works with my life style. My other 2 meals are healthy meals and satisfying. I also have a treat every night which is a fudge cycle bar. Only 80 cal. No snack through the day. These are my daily plans that work great for me. Its all about planning and following it. But it has to work with you and your lifestyle, that is the most important part of this. We all need support I just think you need to talk to your Doctor about seeing someone who specializes in mood eating. Its amazing support. Hope this help, feel free to contact me if you need any support or just having a rough day. Good luck (*)
  • katherine_startrek_fan
    Options
    Try healthy frozen meals. You may have to try a few brands, and healthy/all natural ones are best. Evolv, Amy's, and Annie's are my favorites.

I tend to have yogurt with light granola or healthy cereal for breakfast. Then I have a frozen meal, fruit cup, and piece of chocolate for lunch. I have a handful of nuts or fruit for an afternoon snack. That saves more than half my daily calories for an average homemade dinner. (I check out a lot of cookbooks from the library and copy recipies that interest me.)

I also try to work out between 1-2 hours per day.

It's all about finding a balance that works for you. If you try to limit too much, you will continue to binge. However, if you simply cannot limit, you may want to seek help in dealing with the underlying issues.