Short Girls 5'0- 5'4. Is It Common To Have Bigger Arms?

Options
Hi all! this is my first thread, so here goes! I have always hated my arms. They are bigger than the majority of girls, and I think they look fat. My problem is that they aren't really fatty or anything. Its mostly muscle I think because it doesn't move or jiggle, but they are bigger than my boyfriends upper arms and that is annoying. I would say they were just muscular, but I see plenty of muscular girls with upper arms that look smaller than mine.

I guess what I am trying to figure out is, are larger arms just more common on short girls? I am 5'0, and sometimes I feel like my big upper arms are related to my much shorter than average height. Does anyone have any knowledge on this subject?

Replies

• uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Your boyfriends should try lifting.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    Your boyfriends should try lifting.

2nd
  • harlequin0318
    harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Genetics
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    SexyLexy7 wrote: »
    Hi all! this is my first thread, so here goes! I have always hated my arms. They are bigger than the majority of girls, and I think they look fat. My problem is that they aren't really fatty or anything. Its mostly muscle I think because it doesn't move or jiggle, but they are bigger than my boyfriends upper arms and that is annoying. I would say they were just muscular, but I see plenty of muscular girls with upper arms that look smaller than mine.

I guess what I am trying to figure out is, are larger arms just more common on short girls? I am 5'0, and sometimes I feel like my big upper arms are related to my much shorter than average height. Does anyone have any knowledge on this subject?

How big is 'big'? In inches?
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    We need more info! Either pics or measurements in order to respond meaningfully.

Without this info, my gut response is that it isn't the norm for short people to have big upper arms unless they are either fat or body builders
  • CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Being short isn't enough to base arm size on.

When i was very lean my arms were thin. When i bulked up with muscle they were HUGE. When i was just fat they were gigantic and firm. Now that i am older and just fat, they aren't as firm. Pretty much the same thing for my legs. I look like a beach ball on stilts when i'm fat.
  • PinkyQT
    PinkyQT Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I've never seen a short woman with skinny arms.
  • grazer432
    grazer432 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Well obviously not every shorter girl has bigger arms but I think it is a very common thing. I don't have long limbs and there is just less room for the muscle (and fat) to go.
  • pangepange
    pangepange Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I think it's genetics more than anything. I'm 5'1, and I haven't noticed my arms much larger or smaller than the average person's arms. However, my calves seem huge in comparison to everyone else (can't squeeze into most boots, and even after losing 35lbs they haven't gone down much in size. :pensive: ) These kind of traits may just be built in to your body structure.
  • MamaP47
    MamaP47 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' and when I was skinny, my arms were skinny. When I'm fat...they were big but not firm. Right now I'm in the midst of slimming down and toning up...so I don't know what they will look like.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    My arms are 10.5in. They look the right size on me, could so with firming up though. I am 5'1, 102lb, does that help?
    Post a pic or share your arm measurement and weight. It is hard to answer your question without any information.
    Cheers, h.
  • Nicola0000
    Nicola0000 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. Some people of the exact same height can be built so differently. Either need to accept that's just what you look like, or lose some body fat if you need to which may help. Unfortunately, you can't spot reduce! (Oh how I wish you could!!!!)
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    5-3 with big arms (15in) but Im a nurse so am physical in my job and Ive been a kickboxer and now am lifting so even at my skinniest they didnt get much smaller than about 13-14in but were pretty solid without much fat. Im happy to get back to that and shed the extra cpl inches of bingo wing...
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'0", and I LOVE my arms. Even when I was chubby they were my best feature. It may just be in your head.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I would say, short girls come in all shapes and sizes.

I'm just a bit over 5'1'', 11.8in upper arms (some extra skin here) and 14.4in calves (rock solid)....so mostly muscle as I am in my healthy weight range. I embrace my muscles and say thanks to Dad. Genetics, running, riding, biking, body weight and dumbells gave me those.

If your arms are muscular, it's a question of genetics and training.
  • elysedorm
    Options
    Storing more fat in your arms isn't really a bad thing because that fat could be on your stomach instead. My mom is 5'2" and she has fatter arms compared to the rest of her figure... but that's a good thing because it means a thinner waist and back, so love your arms. When you lose weight they will become smaller, as well.
  • gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I have big upper arms and I'm 5'11". My twin cousins are 5'3" and both have big upper arms. It's genes.