Uneaten allowable calories

Options
If you want to lose weight, it seems simple enough. Calories in VS calories out. Some people are saying that I should those daily uneaten calories. But to me it just seems like extra calories that you'd eventually have to get rid of. I do feel hungry most of the time. But I just tell myself that's the feeling of losing weight. It seems to work.

So which type are you? Do you eat only a portion of your calories or do you consume them all? And do you eat the red ones last ;-)

Replies

• redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I try and eat all of them, Mind you I do not use the numbers MFP spits out for exercise as my machines in my home gym give me numbers 50% less then the ones on here.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    At the end of the day, the one who loses weight whilst eating the most calories, wins!

I don't believe in self-flagellation
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    At the end of the day, the one who loses weight whilst eating the most calories, wins!

+1
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    If you regularly feel hungry whilst dieting, you're doing it wrong
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    If you regularly feel hungry whilst dieting, you're doing it wrong

+1

Its your choice, but you shouldnt feel hungry in what is meant to be a lifestyle change.
    If you have eatback calories available then its your choice whether to eat them or not. If you are hungry eat them, but if you arent then I don't bother. Some people limit themselves to a % of eatback calories becayse of percieved exaggeration of MFP counts.

Some week i eat some and others I dont bother. Up to you.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    First, being hungry all the time is not sustainable. Second, there is such thing as losing weight too fast (you're more likely to lose muscle as well). If you're hungry, eat those calories.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    This sounds like a really easy way to become miserable in a hurry, and ending up bingeing so often that all your lost weight comes back on and then some.

"Punishing" yourself into weightloss is never a good idea, and is certainly not sustainable in the long run.
  • jcbailey89
    jcbailey89 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I don't let myself go hungry. Some days, I might only eat 1000 calories and another day, 2500. I try to stay close to my goal for the week.
  • Christi102012
    Christi102012 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat all of my exercise calories back but I do tend to eat some of them (usually up to about half). If you're still hungry and you have calories, then eat. Heck, I had a ton of extra calories yesterday that I didn't eat back. If I happen to go over today I'm not going to feel bad about it. I only do a 24-30 hour window though. Just because I have all those calories from yesterday I won't let myself use them on Friday for example. Technically speaking I think you can, you just have to be down I think 3500 calories for the week to lose a pound (if I've got that wrong someone please correct me).
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Depends on the day. Some days, I'm hungrier than others! So, I go over the goal or under it, depending on how hungry I am.

I wait until I'm hungry to eat, for the most part. I have to arrange food around pills, so sometimes I have to eat something when I'm not hungry or I remain hungry until it's Pill Time, but I try not to do that.

I don't go entire days being hungry.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    First, being hungry all the time is not sustainable. Second, there is such thing as losing weight too fast (you're more likely to lose muscle as well). If you're hungry, eat those calories.

This. I think when you are really motivated at first being hungry can be okay, but a lot of that isn't real hunger but getting used to having less. I think fear of hunger or just longterm hunger being unsustainable and people associating it with dieting is why so many do silly things like eating one way for a diet and then back to how they ate when gaining weight after or just put off or stop a diet, because it seems so unpleasant.

I haven't been hungry and I've enjoyed how I eat (although sure every once in a while I'd like to eat more than my calories allow), and thus I'm okay with the idea that I'll mostly eat like this forever.

So no, OP, I don't think trying to be under substantially is a good goal. I'd say pick an overall goal that makes sense to you in terms of the overall deficit and then try to eat around that level. I don't eat back exercise, but I factor it into my overall goal.
  • NerdieMcChub
    NerdieMcChub Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I try and eat my allowed calories... but in my case, it's not as simple as calories in vs calories out. I won't eat if I'm not hungry and if I am hungry, truly hungry, and I went over my 1300 calories, I will eat something low-calorie and healthy.
  • zenabby
    zenabby Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    If you are eating your planned calories and still feel hungry all the time, then either you need to increase or calories and/or look at the food/water you are eating. If you eat a candy for 150 calories (not saying you are), eating 10 candies will still make you feel very very hungry. But if you include lots of fiber, water, veggies etc, and eat in smaller intervals you will feel that you can feel a lot less hungry with the same calories. But I agree, you can never run long on hungry.
  • frksfrau
    frksfrau Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Some days I don't eat all of my calories and other days I go over. I don't do either consciously, it is just the way I eat. But, if I add everything up for the week, I am pretty close to hitting the mark.
  • funchords
    funchords Posts: 413 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    1. If you're hungry, eat. Period, full stop. Even if you go 200 calories over your allowance, you're still at a good deficit and you'll still lose weight. Hunger is a warning sign and you don't want to get into the habit of ignoring your body's signals.
    2. When you've reached your goal, you need to eat normally. So if your deficit is normally 1500 calories because you're losing 2 lbs. a week plus not eating your exercise calories, that's 1500 additional calories you need to eat when you switch to maintenance. That's double the intake for many dieters!
    Now I can't say that I eat all of my exercise calories, but I do eat back more than half of them. And I certainly won't let myself go hungry ever, especially if I have hundreds of calories left in my allowance.

31773543.png
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I'm the type that enjoys cramming as much yummy food into my mouth as possible while maintaining my calorie goal.

I also agree with the others about sustainability and I don't think you should ever truly feel hungry. If you feel hungry, there's probably a good reason for that.
  • katherine_startrek_fan
    Options
    I agree with the above. Doing MFP for over six months and dropping over 40 pounds, it is the rare exception that I ever let myself get really hungry because it always leads to eating too much.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Really? What do they win?

At the end of the day, the food a person eats should be what is required to fuel their activities. In order to lose weight, a person must eat less than what is consumed by their activities, so the body is forced to use the fat that has been stored for future use.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I do the TDEE method, so I eat the same number of calories everyday (exercise calories are built in to the goal, for anyone who doesn't know). I usually eat right up to my goal with about 20 calories to spare. Every once in a great while, I'll leave 100 calories at the end of the day, but I usually eat right up to my goal.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    fnub wrote: »
    If you want to lose weight, it seems simple enough. Calories in VS calories out. Some people are saying that I should those daily uneaten calories. But to me it just seems like extra calories that you'd eventually have to get rid of. I do feel hungry most of the time. But I just tell myself that's the feeling of losing weight. It seems to work.

So which type are you? Do you eat only a portion of your calories or do you consume them all? And do you eat the red ones last ;-)

the problem with being hungry all the time is, well, that you're hungry all the time... doesnt sound fun and is likely to make it harder for you to stick to your diet.

also there is such thing as too large a deficit - how large is too large is debatable and depends on individual circumstances and how much fat you have to lose. but it is hard to get all of the nutrients that your body needs if you're not eating many caories.

personally i go for eating as many calories as i possibly can, while still in a deficit.