What can I do to help thighs?

Options
Hello everyone! So I've been using MFP since January and I've lost about 75 pounds to date. Most of the weight has come off of my upper body (neck, arms, face, abdomen, etc.) however my thighs seem to be stubborn in my opinion. Everywhere else has slimmed down nicely but I think my thighs could stand to lose a bit more weight. This has made pants shopping somewhat tricky as usually either the waist is fine but the thigh area is tight, or the thigh area is fine while the waist area is huge, bulgy and bulky.

I know that you can't spot lose with weight loss but is there anything at all I can do to help my thigh situation? Should I just keep on losing weight in hopes that my thighs will "catch up"? Would doing some weight training on my legs help (or would it just cause the muscles in my legs to bulk up and compound the problem even more)?

Thanks for any advice.

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    just keep losing weight …fat will come off from where it wants, and not where you want….
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Brynich wrote: »
    Hello everyone! So I've been using MFP since January and I've lost about 75 pounds to date. Most of the weight has come off of my upper body (neck, arms, face, abdomen, etc.) however my thighs seem to be stubborn in my opinion. Everywhere else has slimmed down nicely but I think my thighs could stand to lose a bit more weight. This has made pants shopping somewhat tricky as usually either the waist is fine but the thigh area is tight, or the thigh area is fine while the waist area is huge, bulgy and bulky.

I know that you can't spot lose with weight loss but is there anything at all I can do to help my thigh situation? Should I just keep on losing weight in hopes that my thighs will "catch up"? Would doing some weight training on my legs help (or would it just cause the muscles in my legs to bulk up and compound the problem even more)?

Thanks for any advice.

You said it first. Keep at it.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Squat a lot
  • CADAVER0USB0N3S
    CADAVER0USB0N3S Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I would do exercises that make lean muscle it takes up less space than fat and will help you look more toned.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    You just have to love them. Go ahead and work them and make them strong. That's probably where you carry your strength anyway. Love em. Wear tight pants, short skirts and tight dresses. You'd be surprised how hot they really are.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Weight training should definitely help. I was actually hoping to,gain in the thigh area on my last bulk, but lost an inch - they look better though so it's all good. Do all the squats :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    WTG on an awesome loss! Just keep doing what you're doing. Squats, walking lunges, hip thrusters are your friends (help to tighten the business).
  • Brynich
    Brynich Posts: 65 Member
    Options

I would do exercises that make lean muscle it takes up less space than fat and will help you look more toned.

Yes, it takes up less space but it's not like it would replace the fat, would it? Wouldn't it be the fat PLUS the muscle?
    Options

Yes, it takes up less space but it's not like it would replace the fat, would it? Wouldn't it be the fat PLUS the muscle?

Basically yes, BUT working those muscles will burn a lot of fat.

• Brynich
    Brynich Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your comments and advice. I guess the answer seems to be to just keep on losing weight while working them out at the same time.
  • Fruitylicious03
    Options
    Squats?
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    While you are correct that you can't spot reduce, exercising the glutes, quads, etc should help with the shape. Do various squats, not just barbell squats, but also a variety of bodyweight and dumbbell squats, such as goblet or plie jumps. Also, glute bridges and hip thrusters.

I've been recomping and have only lost a few pounds but I've lifted my butt and worked my quads and hams to the point that my thighs look smaller, even though they technically aren't. The shape has changed a lot, with no chub rub (my thighs now sort of tap in passing when I walk) and great definition between butt and thigh.
  • KimofTas
    KimofTas Posts: 48 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I take notice of the body shapes of athletes in each different sport (cycling, for example) and cyclists/swimmers/runners have the longest lines in their body and their hips are especially small (yay!) so I cycle on the stationery bike like my life depends on it doing sprints just like in the Tour de France hehehe.

Also, hills are a part of my everyday walk.
  • tanowicki
    tanowicki Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Careful, there are some cyclists with huge thighs - especially the sprinters. Google Robert Forstemann - a German Olympian.

I finally figured out the best way I could reduce my thighs would have been to have different parents. Thankfully, I don't and have come to accept that while I may be slimmer, I'm never going to have skinny thighs even when other parts look extra thin.
    Options
    I liked plyometrics when I was trying to keep my leggies smaller. Now I really like them big & powerful.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

You aren't going to build a lot of muscle while dieting. You will continue to lose fat while maintaining and strengthening the muscle you already have. The results might not be smaller thighs (or not by much) but it will be stronger and better looking thighs. Fat thighs with muscle underneath look better than just fat thighs.
  • numinousnymph
    numinousnymph Posts: 249 Member
    Options

You aren't going to build a lot of muscle while dieting. You will continue to lose fat while maintaining and strengthening the muscle you already have. The results might not be smaller thighs (or not by much) but it will be stronger and better looking thighs. Fat thighs with muscle underneath look better than just fat thighs.

pretty much agree with this. muscle will maybe "draw in" some of the area so it is kinda toned, but it won't get rid of the fat. kind of like the way your stomach sticks out when you have bad posture but looks flatter when you stand straight.

and OP i have the same frustrating problem, i'm down to a quite healthy weight, 20.4 BMI, my back, chest, face and arms have slimmed down a LOT, but my inner thighs and my lower abdomen are STILL full of fat. very frustrating. trying to lose another ~5, MAYBE 10 lbs to see if that helps. don't want to get lower than an 18.5 BMI, but sometimes your body won't let the stubborn bits of fat go until the very very end.