Spinning

Options
LoveleeB
LoveleeB Posts: 560 Member
So the gym I am a member of allows me to go to all fitness classes they offer for free as a part of my membership. I am thinking about trying a spin class tomorrow morning but I would like some more information from people that have done it before I decide to go.

I fairly enjoy bike riding (outdoor) but always have a problem of the seat not being comfortable for a extended amount of time (too much junk in the trunk? lol). What is a typical spin class like? Do you stand-pedal like you see on Biggest Loser or other fitness shows or sit the whole time? Advice for a beginner please.

Thanks everyone! Happy Monday!

Replies

• Jillk1023
    Jillk1023 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    intresting... gonna bump
  • hlevine710
    hlevine710 Posts: 3
    Options
    I love spin! All classes are different depending on where you go. At my class we do a combination of pedaling standing up and sitting down. We also do a 1 lb. weight section at the end for arms. Honestly, I always love going because you feel so great afterwards and the music is so awesome! Enjoy!
  • ccclay
    ccclay Posts: 28
    Options
    Hi, I used to go spinning all the time. In the classes I've been to, you do a combination of sitting, standing on the 'bike', uphill and sprint work as well as strength trainning. You can work as hard as you like, which is good if you haven't got the energy and want to take it easy!
  • Lunarokra
    Lunarokra Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Hello, the first classes are a little tough and yes the seat is very uncomfortable but then you get used to it as you continue attending the class.

The instructors put on a routine for the length of the class, and it really depends on them. I enjoy it.

Good luck at your first spin!
  • tawny7
    tawny7 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I've been spinning for about a year now and I love it!!!!!
    In my classes it's a variety of sitting and standing, fast and slow. You decide on the tension so you can make the workout comfortable for yourself.
    I say give it a try and see if you like it!!!
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    i love spin...it all depends on the instructor though too. its a great work out, and it does actually take a little bit of time to get use to the seat n such.
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Depends on the instructor. I have yet to meet a bike with a comfortable seat... I know one woman who brings her own seat cover.

Some instructors will have you bike the the music (speed up when the music does, etc.) while others have the music as background. Some classes have an elaborate projection to make it seem like you're biking outside. Others have crazy dance lights. Others (like the ones I've been to) have you facing the instructor all 50 minutes. You'll simulate hills by increasing resistance by turning a knob and biking harder.

Personally, I can't stand spin classes. I went out of obligation for fitness instructor training, but I wouldn't go by choice. I was bored and in pain the whole time... I guess I'd rather bike outside or go on a run.
  • pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I always tell my spin patricipants that they can buy seat covers or cycling shorts (or tri shorts for less padding) in order to help with the saddle sores. The important thing is that every instructor has a difference style and personality so if you don't like it this first time try a few other classes with different instructors and see if you like one of their classes.
  • Nataliethin81
    Nataliethin81 Posts: 315
    Options
    Your first class will be tough. Mostly because it's just a pain to get comfortable on the bike but the more often you go you get used to the aching bottom! I spin regularly, was spinning 3-4 times a week but have recently cut it back to 2 times a week. The key to spinning is a great instructor and great music. Those 2 things either make or break the class. I'm getting my spin certification this month, so if you have any questions, feel free to message me. Good luck!!
  • SassyStef
    SassyStef Posts: 413
    Options
    expect to have a sore butt after....I did lol but I love spin class, great way to get an awesome work out and something different in your routine!!
  • nareykay
    nareykay Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I love Spinning. So far it is my favorite cardio exercise and you can burn a lot of calories. I did it this morning for an hour and my watch told me I burned 300 calories. But MFP tells me I burn like 600 calories.

We do a combo of sitting, standing, sprinting, and climbing hills. Its a great workout and you will SWEAT! Yes....the seat is uncomfortable, but after about 4 or 5 sessions it will get better. I have been doing it at least 3 times a week for 2 months and it doesn't even bother me now!
  • LoveleeB
    LoveleeB Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the responses! I figured that each instructor would have their own style of training. That happened to me with Zumba b/c the first time I tried it I LOVED the instructor and the second time I disliked her so much a left before the workout was done. :frown:

Anyway I think I might try spinning tomorrow to mix up my workouts and try something new! Hopefully the seats won't be too bad.
  • KelseyLayne
    KelseyLayne Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    oh man i have been considering a spinning class as well but have been hesitant since the last class i tried was Zumba and it was MONUMENTALLY embarrassing! LOL! Maybe I'll give it a shot...everyone had a first class once anyway right?! Good luck!! :)
  • Dani724
    Dani724 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love Spin class! It is true that the seats are uncomfortable but I bought a bike seat cover (Walmart-$10) and it helps so much. It is a mixture of faster, slower, standing, sitting, higher resistance, lower resistance and sprints. It is a great workout and I'm actually disappointed when I have to miss class. The first few times will be rough, but you will soon love it like the rest of us that posted on here. Good luck and I hope you try it out!
  • AidaR
    AidaR Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    It’s a great cardio and most people I know loved it after they tried it... As for the seat comfort I was in pain first time I tried it too but you can get a gel seat cover at sporting goods store or not sure what gym you're going to but at most 24hour fitness gyms the instructors have a seat and they usually ask if anyone wants to use it... good luck to you and have fun :smile:
  • daveboland
    daveboland Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Each spin class can be different, it depends on the instructor. One might have you doing an "uphill climb" for 8 mins, another might only do that for 4 mins. Sometimes they have you sit, stand, sit, stand in sprint like fashion, other times stand for 10sec, then 20, then 30.

I just took my first spinning class last week and talked with a lot of the other participants who have been to many other instructors.

Our class was 45mins long, they help and set your seat height and how far front or back, and then they tighten down the foot straps. I really wished they offered a shorter "beginner" level. The instructor did say at the start of the class that you can sit down and just roll along if you get tired or can't keep up with the class. I took advantage of just rolling along for times, and when I felt back up to it I tried to keep up with the experienced people in the class.

Also depending on the bike seats it might be really uncomfortable after a while, many others in the class talked about the bike seat pain, then later that night facebooked about it. The next day most people's legs were fine, until the next night. My front quads have been sore for about 3 days now. Those are what I really felt burn in the class, but only during what the instructor called "position 3" which was standing up and leaning forward a bit on the handlebars.

I don't know if your gym offers a beginner/shorter level, but I'd check especially if normal bike riding makes you sore after a while.
  • redexpress
    redexpress Posts: 6
    Options
    Spinning is one of the best exercises I have done! You feel wonderful after... until a couple hours later. The pain you will experience from the seat will fade as you continue to go! It is painful, but the calories and the results are great. You work your legs, thighs, butt, abs, and arms - great fat burner!

The classes really depend on the instructor, music, and set up. I have been to a couple different instructors. Some instructors are teaching their classes to benefit individuals who are bikers and are training for rides. Those types of classes are usually involve more positions in the saddle. The other type of instructors are doing the classes for individuals who are cross training and just want a good variety of cardio. I enjoy and prefer the latter.

I love how i feel after a spin class.. over 500 calories burned in a 40 minute class. If you do end up trying it.. give it a couple classes because the 'pain' from the seat really turns people off on the first class.
  • Celeste79
    Celeste79 Posts: 21
    Options
    I started spinning in January and I'm hooked now. It took about 4-6 weeks of spinning 2-3 x a week for the soreness to go away completely in the seat. Now I'm at that point where I'm really feeling comfortable in the class and better able to challenge myself in the difficulty factor.

I echo what PPs have said about shorter classes, if there are 30 minute classes (bonus even, a beginner's class) available I suggest doing that first. If not; most instructors won't have an issue if you decide to dismount 30 minutes in. Be sure to go early the first time at least to give the instructor time to help you get set up on the bike. It will make a huge difference in your work-out and recovery in making sure the bike is set up correctly for you.

And be sure to drink LOTS of water and take a towel with you. As PP said, you will sweat and you will want to towel at more than one point during the class.

Otherwise, it sounds like PPs have covered all the main points; stick with it if you love riding and you will love the class.