Losing weight by caloric deficit

Options
Hi. So I've calculated how many calories I need to eat to lose weight. Exercise would help but I don't think I have time this week or the next. Is it possible for me to lose weight by caloric deficit without exercise?

Well, I know it's possible but will it be so slow that I might get frustrated and give up?

Thanks, ha.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If you're following MFP's guidelines, they are already set up without exercise factored in. So if you have it set to lose 1 pound per week, you should do that as long as you're logging accurately.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    It is definitely possible, but your frustration is a whole 'nother.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    You can definitely lose weight by a calorie deficit without exercise. Exercise helps you maintain muscle mass, and allows you to eat more food while maintaining the same deficit, but it's not necessary. That said, many people find that the same deficit is easier to maintain if they exercise. If your sedentary TDEE is 1800 (mine right now), and you want to lose 1/2 pound per week, that's 1550 net daily calories. I find that it's much easier to exercise an average of 450 calories a day and eat 2000 calories than to not exercise and limit myself to only 1550.

There are ways to work exercise into your daily routine. Park at the far end of the parking lot, or get off your bus/train/tram/whatever a few stops before your destination, then walk the rest of the way. Take stairs, not the elevator. Go for a 15-minute walk during your lunch break. Work standing up when possible (if your work is mostly done sitting). Bicycle to work if it's feasible (I live 3 miles from work; if I bike, it takes 15-17 minutes, while if I drive, it takes 10-12 minutes, so cycling round-trip gives me over 30 minutes of exercise but takes only 10-14 minutes longer than driving - a net win, since I don't spend gas money if I cycle). Those are only a few ideas. You don't need to go to a gym to get good exercise. Do a web search for the New York Times 7-minute workout if you want more ideas, or look at burpee workouts.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    JoAnjie20 wrote: »
    Hi. So I've calculated how many calories I need to eat to lose weight. Exercise would help but I don't think I have time this week or the next. Is it possible for me to lose weight by caloric deficit without exercise?

Well, I know it's possible but will it be so slow that I might get frustrated and give up?

Thanks, ha.
    Yep. Weight loss happens in the kitchen.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    It is definitely possible, but your frustration is a whole 'nother.

Agree with this poster!. It is possible, but you have to be willing to accept slow periods; otherwise, you may have some issues :). Weight loss isn't linear; sometimes it will be faster than expected and sometimes slower. You have to be willing to stay the course for the long run.

bwogilvie also has some great advice. Good luck.

• cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Yes, absolutely possible. With MFP calorie goals, the deficit is built right in, so even if you do no exercise, you can lose weight if you are in deficit. However, you have to realize, even with exercise, you may still have weeks where you lose very little… or lose nothing. That frustration is going to have to be something you learn how to deal with. It's the nature of the beast. I suggest you become process oriented instead of goal oriented. Make your week a success if you do x,y, or z… instead of if you lose x amount of weight. After all… it's about changing your lifestyle isn't it?
  • TheTiagooo
    TheTiagooo Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    The math is always going to be there. But you'll have to find a way to motivate yourself if you really want to lose weight. It isn't a fast process, and if you could lose heart in the space of two weeks, perhaps it wouldn't have worked out anyway. Which is totally fine of course, weight loss is a personal choice.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Thanks, ha.

Really? I always thought it happened in the bathroom.
  • summerhaze71
    summerhaze71 Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    It can be a slow process and if you are scale obsessed, those numbers tend to fluctuate. I only log when I lose. I don't log the up and down on the scale because it would just make me lose my motivation. Sometimes I get to log a loss every week, but other times I have to wait a few weeks before a loss occurs. Just think long term and then take it one day at a time!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    It depends on your level of deficit. Only you know your character and how brittle your determination is or susceptability to frustration. My tip are:

Make time or at least move more in everyday life to burn a few calories by walking a bit. It all adds up.

Manage your expectations about the possible slowing of weight loss and focus on renewerd exercise you will do after.

No idea how much execise you are doing, but you have to do a lot to burn 1lb of weight@3500 calories. 5-10hrs cardio depending what you are doing.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Thanks, ha.

Really? I always thought it happened in the bathroom.
    Ha, ha.
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Of course it is possible! Calorie deficit=weight loss. Exercise helps it come off faster though, because it GENERALLY creates a larger calorie deficit and the more muscle you build up, the more calories you burn (although the difference is somewhat negligible).
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Studies have shown, though, that you're likely to lose about 80% fat / 20% lean muscle mass if you diet alone. Exercise, particularly strength training, can help you preserve lean muscle mass and lose almost only fat. That way, when you reach your goal weight, you'll be lean and toned as opposed to still carrying around some flab on a less strong frame.

Worth noting: Do as I say, not as I do. I haven't been anywhere near as good about exercising as I'd hoped to be. I am finding it much easier to be disciplined in the kitchen than in the gym.

But... that doesn't mean it's wrong! :)