Question about pilates

Options
Nonibug
Nonibug Posts: 1,214 Member
Im not sure if I know what these are...? Are pilates like doing calisthenics? I hear about them all the time, but Ive never tried it. Also, are they ok for people my size to do or are the moves harder to do if your very big? I get dvd's from netflix, so it isnt like I would be going out "buying" a dvd and wasting my money, but still dont want to bother with it if its something that isnt geared for heavier people as well. Also, are there some that are better than others to start with if you've never done any? Thanks guys!:flowerforyou:

~Roni

Replies

• Nonibug
    Options
    Im not sure if I know what these are...? Are pilates like doing calisthenics? I hear about them all the time, but Ive never tried it. Also, are they ok for people my size to do or are the moves harder to do if your very big? I get dvd's from netflix, so it isnt like I would be going out "buying" a dvd and wasting my money, but still dont want to bother with it if its something that isnt geared for heavier people as well. Also, are there some that are better than others to start with if you've never done any? Thanks guys!:flowerforyou:

~Roni
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Pilates, from what I understand, is about doing exercises that work your "core" (think the 'trunk' of your body).

Being bigger won't keep you from doing the exercises. It's a matter of building up strength in those muscles. For me, it took over a year to build up my abs enough to be able to do pilates, just being able to barely do the basics of pilates. I've also had three abdominal surgeries and my abs were shot all to hell.

Try pilates at home. You may love it. If it's tough, then keep it up. It's all about doing difficult exercises to build up your muscular endurance!!

BTW-- I started with yoga, and moved into pilates only recently. Both yoga and pilates, for me at least, are more about muscle training, not fat-burning exercising.
  • psyknife
    psyknife Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    The majority of a mat pilates class is done on the floor in supine position (face up). It's all about keeping that core tight and keeping the muscles long and lean while performing the exercises. The size of the person shouldn't really affect the exercises.
    However, it will be tough at first, because it requires core strength like you may not be used to using... but use that as a reason to keep going and to keep improving at it!
    I love pilates... it's made my core stronger faster than any amount of sit-ups ever could.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    ^ is the one who encouraged me to go to my first pilates class and I'm so glad she did!!! :bigsmile: THANK YOU!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • psyknife
    Options
    YAY!!!!!! :drinker:
  • psyknife
    Options
    PS - feel free to shoot me a message if you have pilates questions... I'm assuming the DVDs will have good explanations on them... but just in case :)
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    In my pre-baby days, I loved to do my Winsor Pilates dvd at home but haven't tried it since the kids ruined my abs...but they're getting back so I might try again! I don't think you'd have any more problem doing pilates than you would have doing any other exercise routine & you're doing AWSOME with that so give it a shot! You might find something that you really enjoy doing! I thought another benefit of pilates is that you feel really good & stretched by the end of it. Everything just feels better. :flowerforyou: Good luck with it, Roni!
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    I think pilates is hard for anyone just starting out. When I started (then dropped off, and am starting up again, with a body focus class) I really struggled with it. I still do, and sometimes, I just have to stop. But, I start up again in a few seconds. It does get better, and it is worth it!
  • Nonibug
    Options
    Thanks guys! My first pilates dvd should be in tomorrow and Im gonna try and give it a shot:drinker:

~Roni
  • jenninsocal
    Options
    It is difficult when you start, but very worth it! When I was much smaller, I did winsor pilates, and in seriously maybe 3 months I had a 4-pack. Right now I am starting it to get my core strength back.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I used Netflix to rent DVD so I could check different exercise styles before investing in a DVD of my own.

I rented Pilates 40+ and it was really good. Slow deliberate movements is how I would describe it. I burned around 250 cals, but the next day I could 'feel' my abs-upper, lower and sides. My arms were sore, my legs were sore. Amazing!

So I would say rent a video with pilates and check it out.

(ps I also checked out a dance video and ended buying IT too!!)
  • Nonibug
    Options
    Thanks AWTY...actually I get my dvd's from netflix too:smile: and the one that is due to arrive today is "Fit at 40: Beginners Pilates Workout". Then tomorrow the "Stott Pilates: Weight Loss Vol1" is due to arrive. Does that sound like a good place to start? Did you get your 40+ one that you used from netflix?
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Thanks AWTY...actually I get my dvd's from netflix too:smile: and the one that is due to arrive today is "Fit at 40: Beginners Pilates Workout". Then tomorrow the "Stott Pilates: Weight Loss Vol1" is due to arrive. Does that sound like a good place to start? Did you get your 40+ one that you used from netflix?

I think that is the one! I loved it. It was slow and deliberate.You'll see, while you are holding your stomach in, you are reaching with your arm, and stepping with your leg. it is a simple move, but really hits all the spots. I am going to order an pilates video based on renting this one.

I hope ou like it!!
  • Nonibug
    Options
    Thanks hun...will let you know how it goes:happy:
  • cupcake568
    cupcake568 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I've taken 2 pilates classes...not sure how I feel about them. I really think it is just hard when you start out. My last one was 2 days ago and let me tell you...I FEEL THE BURN! My abs got a good work out. My advice is to remember to breathe. I think I strain my neck too much or tense up or something because I always (both times anyway) end up with a headache and a sick feeling in my tummy :frown: .
  • jalopes
    jalopes Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    i love pilates, especially the Stott Pilates DVDs.
    I was told that its good for toning and weightloss, because its all resistance training, so there is an element of cardio, unlike weight training.
    your flexibility will greatly improve too, which makes all other exercises easier.
    good luck, i hope you like it!