is my diet correct to get abs

Options
Im 18 and a college going boy..I weight 73 kgs(158 lbs) and my height is 5 foot 5 inches..im having problem in losing weight as i havent lost any kg in last 5 months..Im pure vegetarian an dont even consume eggs..I only consume dairy products..I train 6 days a week and do compound moves like squats and deadlifts..my diet program goes like this
meal-1-boiled quaker oats( 32 grms) with 1 scoop ON Gold standard 100% whey and 10 almonds,10 rasins and 10 pine nut,200 ml milk and 1 tbsp flax seeds
meal-2-1 cup soaked green gram (not cooked and unsprouted)
meal-3-1 cup soaked green gram (not cooked and unsprouted)
meal-4-2 bananas with dark coffee(without cream and sugar)
post workout-1 scoop ON Gold standard 100% whey with 300 ml of milk
meal-5-green vegetables with 1 tbsp flax seeds and 1 tbsp olive oil
before bed-300 ml of milk

I keep my training program intense doing super sets and triset with 25 second rest between the super sets..Cardio is done after my workout
Monday-biceps and forars and abs with 20 minutes hiit cardio
tuesday-legs+20 minutes stationary bike
wednesday-chest and triceps and abs with 20 minutes hiit cardio
thursday-back+20 minutes hiit cardio
friday-shoulders+traps and abs with 20 minutes hiit cardio
saturday-legs+20 minutes stationary bike
sunday-off

I have increased my muscle mass through out my body but haven't lost any kg or any iches from my waist line and love handles.

This is my modified diet plan ...should i follow this or make more modifications...my waist is 34 inches..Please help me....to get rid of love handles and to lower body fat...

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Visible abs are down to low body fat %

If you've bulked you need to cut to show your muscle gain

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Eat in a calorie deficit and lift heavy. You can't spot reduce, so the stomach fat will come off with everything else.
  • redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    You need to cut down your cals....
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    caloric deficit is necessary to lose weight. If you're not losing, you're eating too much.
  • ashishbhatt10441
    Options
    In what way i can reduce my calories..please suggest me..where to reduce my portion sizes in my given plan and do i need to include another bowl of vegetables in my diet plan...Do I need to reduce or increase my protien intake.I lift around 15 to 20 kgs and my maximum weight used for deadlift is 65 kgs uptill now,so i think that I'm lifting heavy.please help me as im losing my motivation..
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    You need to open your diary. Without that, we can't really tell you what to do as far as tweaking your calorie goal.

At 5'5", 158 you shouldn't be relying on the scale to measure your progress. I'm a little taller than you and hit my best shape around 170lbs. You should be eating a touch under maintenance (please open your diary for us to help tweak that), cardio if you like it, and lifting in a progressive overload program.

Did I read your profile right that you want to lose 17 more lbs? Is your goal 141?

EDIT: To noticeably increase your muscle mass, you had to have been in a surplus. Adding muscle mass in a deficit is borderline impossible. Are you sure your body fat % isn't just dropping revealing muscle (which can give the illusion of added mass) and you're down to the last bit, that normally resides around the midsection?
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    No comment on your diet - but visible abs are made by cutting body fat to around 10% for men. I am 5'7", 145lbs and have visible abs. Not a totally cut 6-pack, but you can see my abs easily.

It can help to do core body work to help build the abs so that they actually stick out a bit, but the only way you will actually be able to see them is to reduce body fat, which is only done by losing weight.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Eat at a deficit and lift heavy. I would say get off the isolation exercises for the most part and focus on compound lifts. You are not going but build muscle in a deficit, which is needed to lose fat, so you should focus on strength, not muscle building.
  • MalineVD
    MalineVD Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should also start lifting heavier?
    I'm a girl and I'm 154cm (5ft) and I weigh around 53 kg (116 pounds) and I deadlift the same weight..
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    In what way i can reduce my calories..please suggest me..where to reduce my portion sizes in my given plan and do i need to include another bowl of vegetables in my diet plan...Do I need to reduce or increase my protien intake.I lift around 15 to 20 kgs and my maximum weight used for deadlift is 65 kgs uptill now,so i think that I'm lifting heavy.please help me as im losing my motivation..

eat less in each given meal

end thread/
  • KayBallin
    KayBallin Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you just got finished bulking. If that's the case:

1. Cut calories
    2. Continue Lifting heavy.

Your body fat % has to be low enough to see your abs. That's accomplished by losing fat while retaining lean muscle (lifting).

If you're not losing, you're eating too much.
  • MoreThanMommie
    MoreThanMommie Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    MalineVD wrote: »
    I'm a girl and I'm 154cm (5ft) and I weigh around 53 kg (116 pounds) and I deadlift the same weight..

Wow, way to kick a guy while he's down.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Lifting heavy mean lifting until you cannot do more reps with good form. So heavy for you. depending on the program this could be at 3 reps or as many as 8ish, once you can do more than 8 you are not really lifting heavy, for you, anymore.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,950 Member
    Options

Wow, way to kick a guy while he's down.

How is that kicking him while he's down? She's just pointing out that she's smaller and can lift more so he can push himself further to get stronger muscles. She's just saying his max could still increase.

Or is it kicking him while he's down because she's a girl? Seriously? What's up with your comment?
  • RaceB
    RaceB Posts: 18
    Options
    Ashish - consider talking to someone at school regarding a lifting regime (in terms of someone actually qualified and able to review your current routine). I would think your college would have someone on staff with certification.

Always best to start light and build up in weight. Switching to heavier weights because you "should" given age or whatever is not in your best interests.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options

It can really be difficult to increase while dieting, if OP has been dieting properly. I've only been able to increase my lifts when I decreased my deficit. OP might also be needing more protein, as that can affect ability to increase strength. But yeah, I'm a bit heavier than OP (165) and I am deadlifting an extra 40lbs, doing it once or twice a week. I'm guessing he is still a newbie, and thus will benefit far more from changing his routine to a standard full body 3x a week or even upper/lower split if he really wants.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    EDIT: To noticeably increase your muscle mass, you had to have been in a surplus. Adding muscle mass in a deficit is borderline impossible. ?
    I would be very, very surprised if an 18 year old male eating at maintenance calories couldn't add muscle mass!

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    EDIT: To noticeably increase your muscle mass, you had to have been in a surplus. Adding muscle mass in a deficit is borderline impossible. ?
    I would be very, very surprised if an 18 year old male eating at maintenance calories couldn't add muscle mass!

Possible, but far from optimal.... hence noticeably increase.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

Possible, but far from optimal.... hence noticeably increase.

^^^yep.