Diet, Exercise, Hard Work.... and NOTHING is paying off. Needing help guys!

Options

Replies

• DestinyLittle
    Options
    Thanks everyone.
    I always thought losing weight was about eating healthy. I think everyone has this misconception at first.
    obviously I am new to the sight so I wanted to post and get advice. This is my first day logging, and I am buying a kitchen scale today.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    zarckon wrote: »
    RGv2 wrote: »
    You can work out hard as much as you want, but if you're still in a caloric surplus you'll gain weight. Get your calories in check and the weight will come off. Exercise is great for health and aesthetics, but your diet is how you control your weight.

I'd also adjust to doing cardio, lifting, and some ab work instead of cardio, ab work, and some lifting. Sounds like you're putting more time into isolated ab work than full body strength training.

I agree with the first half, but not the second. Appropriate ab work is absolutely (ha!) critical to postpartum moms - more important than full-body strength training until the abdominal muscles are repaired and back to pre-pregnancy strength. Just keep it gentle so you don't strain your back.

And that's why OP can still do ab work. I didn't say quit it completely.

My point by the statement: You can't spot reduce. A solid full body routine will hit the abs as well as help maintain overall LBM and be more efficient to lowering overall BF% than isolated ab work.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome!

First of all, do a little looking around the forums. There are "announcement" posts that are at the top of each forum section and they have some awesome advice to get you started.

First and foremost, you need to bring yourself to the understanding that losing weight is about calories; eating less of them than your body burns each day. Eating "clean" doesn't matter, drinking lots of water doesn't matter, exercising every day doesn't matter... if you're still eating more calories than you're burning. You can lose weight eating nothing but junk food every day. You can gain weight eating nothing but vegetables and whole grains. Once you have that reality straight, we can move on to the business of actually losing weight. It's something that took me a long time to figure out, probably because when I was your age it wasn't something that was discussed like it is today. We all thought we had to eat cottage cheese and salad and do the Jane Fonda workout to lose weight. :smile:

So... what's the next step? Log everything you eat and drink. It's as simple as that. Well, not entirely that simple, you also need to make sure that what you're logging is accurate and that means using a food scale and measuring cups. Be honest with yourself about what you are eating. As you're getting started, don't worry about being under or over calories or anything else; just get into the habit of logging everything you put into your mouth including vitamins and gum because it all adds up. You need to spend some time learning about the calorie content of the foods you're eating because, trust me, some things will really surprise you. Weighing and measuring your foods will ensure an accurate calorie account but also acquaint you with what portion sizes for those foods look like. 4 ounces of chicken is probably a lot smaller than you'd think and 200 calories of peanut butter is, too.

After a few days to a week of logging everything, take a good look at what you've been eating and see where you can make some easy changes to reduce your intake to the calorie goal that MFP sets for you. I'm not saying it's anything you're doing purposefully, but if you've already changed your diet and you're still not losing weight, something is either more calories than you think it is or your neglecting taking something into account. Logging and reviewing your diary will help you to spot those things.

Trust MFP and the goals it sets for you. Don't try to be too aggressive with that goal, either. The more you learn about how to eat in a way that you are not hungry but can still lose weight, the more likely you are to keep that weight off once you reach your goal.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.
    I always thought losing weight was about eating healthy. I think everyone has this misconception at first.
    obviously I am new to the sight so I wanted to post and get advice. This is my first day logging, and I am buying a kitchen scale today.

tumblr_mpw0seFEms1s8a3fyo1_500.gif
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    zarckon wrote: »
    You can work out hard as much as you want, but if you're still in a caloric surplus you'll gain weight. Get your calories in check and the weight will come off. Exercise is great for health and aesthetics, but your diet is how you control your weight.

I'd also adjust to doing cardio, lifting, and some ab work instead of cardio, ab work, and some lifting. Sounds like you're putting more time into isolated ab work than full body strength training.

I agree with the first half, but not the second. Appropriate ab work is absolutely (ha!) critical to postpartum moms - more important than full-body strength training until the abdominal muscles are repaired and back to pre-pregnancy strength. Just keep it gentle so you don't strain your back.

And that's why OP can still do ab work. I didn't say quit it completely.

My point by the statement: You can't spot reduce. A solid full body routine will hit the abs as well as help maintain overall LBM and be more efficient to lowering overall BF% than isolated ab work.

^Completely agree

• JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    Don't give up before you get started. Utilize the app for a few months and see what kind of progress you make then. I'm sure you will be happily surprised. Even though you have been eating "clean" that doesn't mean you have been eating at a calorie deficit which is really what you need to do to lose weight. Kudos to you for working hard and making the changes you need to to be healthier and happier for yourself and your kids. You are only 3 months postpartum and have already been losing without even counting your calories. Good job.
  • 1moretimetho
    1moretimetho Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Get that kitchen scale and be honest with yourself!! A lot of machines OVER estimate calorie burns and a lot of people UNDER estimate the amount they eat. This = failure. (For that reason, I just stick to a daily calorie amount and I don't "eat back" exercise calories, cause I include them in my day) I'm spoken like a true champion, but truth be told I have quote some weight to lose myself. But that's because I was lazy, didn't care and didn't want it bad enough. I'm back and i'm done playing games. Add me if you want!!
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    dominicyu wrote: »
    Hi how's it going Destiny? Looks like you have a stubborn body like me haha. I also couldn't lose weight either at first no matter how hard i tried. I was putting tremendous work at the gym and my diet was 50% just like you. The thing is diet is the key factor in losing weight no matter how hard you work at the gym and run you won't lose any legitimate weight unless you're committed to a strict diet. Count your macros and put your diet as your priority because once that is in check you will lose weight like nothing trust me it works stick with fitness pal. Log in everyday for at least a month or two of strict dieting. Up your protein intake, moderate fats, and lower carbs as much as possible and you will get your dream body. You can do it! I'm on a harsh cut right now it sucks not being able to go out and eat whatever you like but in the long run you will succeed and overall feel more confident. As a workout regime, I say do cardio 5x a week for at least 30 min to an hour. An hour if you want to see real results with a strict diet and lift too. Most women don't lift because they feel it will make them too masculine but it will tone your body as well as build muscle mass that will then replace the fat making you leaner and more fit. Core lifts to stick to are squats and deadlifts because these our full body workouts that will not only make you stronger but also burn the most calories. Keep it up! We're all going to make it! Prove them wrong.

I disagree about the strict dieting. Restricting yourself too much can lead to giving up. Simply find your TDEE, and try to eat about 500 cals less (If you're aiming for a lb a week) You can aid the process by excercising. (Which I know you already do) Eat 250 less per day, and burn 250 through excercise. 250 to 500 is not terribly hard to do. Also, If you mess up a day (you probably will, we all do) Just get back on track immediately. Don't beat yourself up or figure all is lost and quit for a week.

• Geojerm
    Geojerm Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I have had five kids and i am 31..it always took me a year to get my weight down.

I like this answer : D
    Other posters don't seem to notice OP just had a baby.

I'd suggest you start walking with your baby every day ... be good for both of you : D

Hope you're managing to get enough sleep zzzzz

Keep logging and keep trying. You can do it.

• stevestaggs
    Options
    I'd be willing to take a look at your log if you want. The only real way to help you is to see exactly what you are eating. There are so many variables in this game, and people don't seem to realize that calories are only 1 variable (and that variable is not even as important as most others). In addition, most people don't consider their diet to be that bad. How often have you heard, "I can't lost weight, but my diet is not THAT bad." What exactly is "that bad?" It's a relative term. Anyways, let me know if you want me to take a look at your log.
  • abartraw3
    Options
    I saw it earlier. Some things to consider is that not all fruits and vegetables are healthy. Rice, potatoes, corn and peas are high in carbohydrates and can help pack on the weight if not closely controlled or monitored. Strictly limit or omit breads, breaded and fried products. You need a little bit of carbs to support your exercise but monitor them closely. Avoid high fat proteins like beef and port. Remember that you are probably also putting some muscle on. In some cases, muscle could cause a weight gain which can be discouraging.

• Buy a scale.
    • Weigh your foods 100% of the time.
    • Concentrate on lean dense proteins like chicken, fish and turkey.
    • Try to limit your proteins to between 4 and 8 oz./per meal.
    • Watch out for high sugar fruits. Fruits are healthier than junk foods but some are very high in carbs and sugars.
    •Get some protein shakes and try drinking one a day to replace a meal. Make sure they are high in protein, low in sugar and low in carbs. Make sure they have a good amount of other vitamins as well. The one I use is available at Sam's Club, has 30 g. of Protein, 1g. sugar and 5g. carbs.
    • Keep tracking in a food log. Pay attention to the nutritional values each day, don't let the calories beat your only guide. There is more to weight control than calories.
    • Keep up the exercise routine.

I saw this too. Remember, the scale is just a number. You will know how you are doing by how things fit and how you exert yourself in exercise. The more exercise you can do with less tiring is a good sign. Your getting stronger.
    Be patient with yourself. Loss of 1 lb. a week is awesome. Don't expect to lose weight as fast as the folks on TV, they exercise 8+ hours/day, most of us can't.

Good Luck!!
  • SLHysell
    SLHysell Posts: 247 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I"m sure others have already said this, but you'll never lose weight by working out and "clean eating" alone. Both are great, but the only way to lose weight is to eat less calories than you burn. Based on what you've said, I'd wager you are eating a lot more than you think. Someone wise once said, "you get fit in the gym, but you lose weight in the kitchen". I learned the hard way myself that you can't lose weight by exercise alone. And I'm not even sure what clean eating is; different people define it differently. Believe it or not, you can lose weight on a diet of nothing but candy and french fries if you simply don't eat too much of them. Calories in/calories out is the ENTIRE formula.

Although...I don't recommend the candy and french fry diet if any kind of good health among your goals.
  • fernandaBush
    fernandaBush Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a high fat, low carb and moderate protein diet?
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You can do this.

Feel free to add me. My youngest two are 3 years and 6 weeks (both boys). I want to lose about 25 pounds ... I've done this a few times (after each child), so I kind of know what I'm doing, and this is a great tool. I'm just starting today (after the 6 weeks of post-partum rest) but feel free to check out my diary from here forward if you are looking for suggestions.

Don't aim for too much of a deficit (I would suggest 1 lb a week for you) and eat the calories it gives you, including about 1/2 your exercise calories. Make it something you can sustain long term :smile:
  • DestinyLittle
    Options
    I just have to say you guys are awesome for giving me all of this advice so fast! This makes me feel extremely good about joining this site. You guys are definatly encouraging me and making me feel like calorie counting will help and make a major difference. I did just give birth so i know it will take time!
  • Michifan
    Michifan Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I say this a lot, but you should seriously consider working with a RD/LD (registered/licensed dietician). This site has a mix of very good and very bad advice, and until you've either worked with a professional or learned the hard way what is what, you just might go down a stupid path and regret it.

I'm 75 pounds down in 4 months - on track to a healthy BMI / 15-18% body fat by 6 months (which would be over 100 pounds lost). A RD/LD isn't just dealing with their own experience (which is as unique as you are), but has access to the science and a network of licensed professionals that have dealt with every probable combination of circumstances that would help your journey.

Your caloric set point is too personalized to have someone on a website give you advice. I was shocked that I could do a <900 calorie diet so easily (and still exercise an hour every day, albeit at a slow burn rate), but my metabolism and nutritional needs are being met. That doesn't mean that everyone would / should do my plan - but if I listened to certain people here over my Doctor & RD, I would never have been as successful.

Success is a plan completed. You need to not only have a good plan, but have the confidence that it is the right one - during all the ups/downs and sideways of your journey.
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    abartraw3 wrote: »
    I saw it earlier. Some things to consider is that not all fruits and vegetables are healthy. Rice, potatoes, corn and peas are high in carbohydrates and can help pack on the weight if not closely controlled or monitored. Strictly limit or omit breads, breaded and fried products. You need a little bit of carbs to support your exercise but monitor them closely. Avoid high fat proteins like beef and port. Remember that you are probably also putting some muscle on. In some cases, muscle could cause a weight gain which can be discouraging.

• Buy a scale.
    • Watch out for high sugar fruits. Fruits are healthier than junk foods but some are very high in carbs and sugars.
    •Get some protein shakes and try drinking one a day to replace a meal. Make sure they are high in protein, low in sugar and low in carbs. Make sure they have a good amount of other vitamins as well. The one I use is available at Sam's Club, has 30 g. of Protein, 1g. sugar and 5g. carbs.
    • Keep tracking in a food log. Pay attention to the nutritional values each day, don't let the calories beat your only guide. There is more to weight control than calories.

I saw this too. Remember, the scale is just a number. You will know how you are doing by how things fit and how you exert yourself in exercise. The more exercise you can do with less tiring is a good sign. Your getting stronger.
    Be patient with yourself. Loss of 1 lb. a week is awesome. Don't expect to lose weight as fast as the folks on TV, they exercise 8+ hours/day, most of us can't.

Good Luck!!

No to pretty much all of this. Eat foods you love. ok, maybe cut down on junk just because less bang for your buck, but don't cut out meats. You can eat all the fruit you want (without going over cals of course) Unless you're diabetic. You don't need protein shakes, DO weigh your food and log everything.
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I do go to the gym for 2 hours a day, for 4 to 5 days a week. I was thinking of trying that Couch to 5K app, my goal is to run a 5k by the end of 2015. My main issue is eating as I said and this is my first time actually trying calorie counting so I hope it goes well and works for me. I was introduced to my fitness pal by a woman whom I met at the gym. So this is my first real attempt at calorie counting. I also just read a post here about weighing your food and the importance of it, so I told hubby to get me a scale otw home. I am trying to read as many posts as possible regarding logging since this is my first attempt at logging.

There is seriously no reason for you to spend 2 hours a day 4-5 days a week at the gym unless you just enjoy it. If you enjoy it by all means do (I do sometimes), but the fact is especially in the early going it may be overkill... It is about effort. Everybody has different ideas of working out, but one common thing is you need to get your hear rate up. If you can chat as you go, you aren't working hard enough. You should be able to talk, but in a broken manner... Calorie burns on MFP are often exaggerated, so I'd suggest only eating back 50-75% of what it tells you. Start with 50% for a week or so. If you feel good, go with it. If you find your energy level is way down or you feel weak, bump it up a bit.

As far as eating goes fruits and veggies are a great place to start (vitamins, fiber & hydration), but you also need protein. Not only will it keep you full longer, your body needs it if you are working out. This can be beef, chicken, turkey, eggs, tofu, dairy whatever.

Watch the extras like dressings, dips and condiments... They add up quickly.

Watch snacking on the kids leftovers... Little bites here and there can kill ya...

BE HONEST WITH YOURSELF ABOUT YOUR INTAKE AND YOUR EXERCISE...

Water is great, but there is no hard and fast rule that you have to drink 6 bottles of water a day...

Don't change everything at once and become overwhelmed. Just try to make each day a little better than the day before. Know that you will slip and it isn't the end of the world.
  • pschicke
    Options
    Sorry that you are having so much trouble losing weight. I'm 67 and it is a real *kitten* for me too. I have been using that My Fitness Pal food and exercise diary and it is helping me to identify what I',m eating and keeps nagging me about how many calories I've taken in and how many I have left for the day. I'll assume that your doctor has checked both your thyroid function and your glucose levels (I',m diabetic - so that is an important one for me).

The food diary is critical to weight loss - you must be honest about everything you put into your mouth both solid and liquids (liquor can pack a lot of calories quickly). Be very careful to eat enough -- too little and you'll move your body into a starvation metabolism mode and it will be almost impossible to get pounds off. My doctor told me to try to lose about a half a pound a week. He'd said, much faster than that and you not really be training yourself to adopt healthier eating habits.

Get more exercise - and incorporate weight training, I was told. So I have, but mostly I watch the food intake and try staying away from fast foods, eating out and the like. My Doc told me an interesting thing about the exercise - he said concentrate on those exercises that strengthen the upper leg muscles - these really burn a lot of calories.

If you're like me, you'll go off the plan from time to time. Don't fret, just get back on the plan and try to extend the time between excursions.

Diet is such a nasty word - it evokes thoughts of punishment and deprivation. So I guess that biggest tip is to quit thinking of watching your intake of food as dieting and start thinking of it as a means to manage your health.

Best of luck.

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    abartraw3 wrote: »

• Buy a scale.

Good Luck!!

There's nothing wrong with rice, potatoes, corn, and peas. There is nothing wrong with breads or breaded/fried proteins. Nothing wrong with fat either.

And very seriously doubt she's packing on muscle since it seems she's more than likely focusing on cardio.

Your post is full of so much wrong.