Diet, Exercise, Hard Work.... and NOTHING is paying off. Needing help guys!

Options

Replies

• meglo91
    meglo91 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I will limit my advice to two things:

1. Carbs are not evil (food is not evil), but I find that they drop my blood sugar and make me hungrier. I've cut down on them drastically, and it's helped. I eat more vegetables, meat, and fat (fat can be your friend), and I am less prone to cravings and a growling stomach. I am also satisfied with fewer calories because of all the fat/protein/fiber. I still occasionally eat my husband's homemade pasta with cream sauce. It's just a treat, as opposed to nightly dinner. This approach works for me because I'm not all that into bread or rice or pasta anyway. Your mileage may vary.
    2. Be nice to yourself. You just had a baby. You have two kinds under 4. I also have two kids under 4. I understand, for real. Slow and steady is fine. Slow and steady is GOOD. Did you lose a pound this month? Excellent, you win. Maybe next month you can lose two. But as someone who's had two kids and who did not magically lose all the weight in a month or even a year, I can tell you that a few pounds lost over the course of a month is a hell of a lot better than either a) losing a ton of weight by eating 1000 calories for a few months, burning out and then re-gaining it or b) losing nothing at all.

Logging everything is important. Sleeping is important. Two hours at the gym every day does seem excessive, but possibly it's what's holding your mind together at this point, in which case, have at it. Again, be nice to yourself. Enjoy your kids. And well done. You're doing a good thing.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    abartraw3 wrote: »
    I saw it earlier. Some things to consider is that not all fruits and vegetables are healthy. Rice, potatoes, corn and peas are high in carbohydrates and can help pack on the weight if not closely controlled or monitored. Strictly limit or omit breads, breaded and fried products. You need a little bit of carbs to support your exercise but monitor them closely. Avoid high fat proteins like beef and port. Remember that you are probably also putting some muscle on. In some cases, muscle could cause a weight gain which can be discouraging.

Buy a scale.
    Weigh your foods 100% of the time.
    Concentrate on lean dense proteins like chicken, fish and turkey.
    • Try to limit your proteins to between 4 and 8 oz./per meal.
    • Watch out for high sugar fruits. Fruits are healthier than junk foods but some are very high in carbs and sugars.
    •Get some protein shakes and try drinking one a day to replace a meal. Make sure they are high in protein, low in sugar and low in carbs. Make sure they have a good amount of other vitamins as well. The one I use is available at Sam's Club, has 30 g. of Protein, 1g. sugar and 5g. carbs.
    Keep tracking in a food log. Pay attention to the nutritional values each day, don't let the calories beat your only guide. There is more to weight control than calories.
    Keep up the exercise routine.

I saw this too. Remember, the scale is just a number. You will know how you are doing by how things fit and how you exert yourself in exercise. The more exercise you can do with less tiring is a good sign. Your getting stronger.
    Be patient with yourself. Loss of 1 lb. a week is awesome. Don't expect to lose weight as fast as the folks on TV, they exercise 8+ hours/day, most of us can't.

Good Luck!!

There are good tips in here... the bolded ones.

But I don't agree with not eating beef and pork. Both have vital vitamins and minerals, and are your best source of iron, which you may still be replenishing after having your baby. The fat in these products is just fine, you just need to account for the calories. There are also so many different cuts of both that its easier to choose leaner cuts. Pork tenderloin, for example is fantastic and relatively low fat (compared to something like bacon or pork belly). Top sirloin is leaner than bottom sirloin. You can Google which cuts are leanest. Remember you DO need dietary fat - its good for your hormones and good for satisfying your hunger.

Regarding corn and potatoes and stuff - they still have nutrients, so if you want them, have them, but do pay attention to how much because they're higher calorie. I use those things as "treats" personally. But that's because I happen to fart less when I don't eat them so much so I generally feel better without eating much of them hahaha.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    I saw it earlier. Some things to consider is that not all fruits and vegetables are healthy. Rice, potatoes, corn and peas are high in carbohydrates and can help pack on the weight if not closely controlled or monitored. Strictly limit or omit breads, breaded and fried products. You need a little bit of carbs to support your exercise but monitor them closely. Avoid high fat proteins like beef and port. Remember that you are probably also putting some muscle on. In some cases, muscle could cause a weight gain which can be discouraging.

• Buy a scale.
    • Weigh your foods 100% of the time.
    • Concentrate on lean dense proteins like chicken, fish and turkey.
    • Watch out for high sugar fruits. Fruits are healthier than junk foods but some are very high in carbs and sugars.
    •Get some protein shakes and try drinking one a day to replace a meal. Make sure they are high in protein, low in sugar and low in carbs. Make sure they have a good amount of other vitamins as well. The one I use is available at Sam's Club, has 30 g. of Protein, 1g. sugar and 5g. carbs.
    • Keep tracking in a food log. Pay attention to the nutritional values each day, don't let the calories beat your only guide. There is more to weight control than calories.
    • Keep up the exercise routine.

I saw this too. Remember, the scale is just a number. You will know how you are doing by how things fit and how you exert yourself in exercise. The more exercise you can do with less tiring is a good sign. Your getting stronger.
    Be patient with yourself. Loss of 1 lb. a week is awesome. Don't expect to lose weight as fast as the folks on TV, they exercise 8+ hours/day, most of us can't.

Good Luck!!

This is all good! But I don't agree with not eating beef and pork. Both have vital vitamins and minerals, and are your best source of iron, which you may still be replenishing after having your baby. The fat in these products is just fine, you just need to account for the calories. There are also so many different cuts of both that its easier to choose leaner cuts. Pork tenderloin, for example is fantastic and relatively low fat (compared to something like bacon or pork belly). Top sirloin is leaner than bottom sirloin. You can Google which cuts are leanest. Remember you DO need dietary fat - its good for your hormones and good for satisfying your hunger.

why does OP need to avoid carbs and sugar when she had identified no medical condition?????

So you are advocating meal replacement shakes for weight loss, really?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Aditi1310 wrote: »
    RGv2 wrote: »
    SLHysell wrote: »
    I"m sure others have already said this, but you'll never lose weight by working out and "clean eating" alone. Both are great, but the only way to lose weight is to eat less calories than you burn. Based on what you've said, I'd wager you are eating a lot more than you think. Someone wise once said, "you get fit in the gym, but you lose weight in the kitchen". I learned the hard way myself that you can't lose weight by exercise alone. And I'm not even sure what clean eating is; different people define it differently. Believe it or not, you can lose weight on a diet of nothing but candy and french fries if you simply don't eat too much of them. Calories in/calories out is the ENTIRE formula.

Although...I don't recommend the candy and french fry diet if any kind of good health among your goals.

I love how you explained it.. but eating less than you burn.. wont make the body weak.. ???

Not sure I understand the question. Eating less than you burn is called a caloric deficit, which is required for weight loss.

Now, the deficit CAN make your body weak if the deficit is too large and your body can support the difference in energy stores that it already has.

how much deficit is required for weight loss.. based on only food intake..?? according to this site I need to consume 1200 cal (considering my fitness n weight loss goal i guess).. should I consume less than 1200 for shedding weight??

What this website is saying is that in order to meet the weighloss goals that you entered you need to net 1200 calories. You probably entered in 2lbs per week, so the website did the calculation and shot out 1200 calories to meet that goal. It can be done through just eating 1200 calories, or eating 1800 calories and doing 600 calories worth of exercise.

As another poster noted, it is probably unlikely that you need to go that low to lose weight unless your quite small, have little to lose, are "older", or a combination of all. Ht/age/wt/activity stats would help us provide other tips.
  • DestinyLittle
    Options
    Thanks to those of you whom have focused on giving me good advice and not arguing against everyone else.
  • VeryKatie
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

• Buy a scale.
    • Keep tracking in a food log. Pay attention to the nutritional values each day, don't let the calories beat your only guide. There is more to weight control than calories.

Good Luck!!

This is all good! But I don't agree with not eating beef and pork. Both have vital vitamins and minerals, and are your best source of iron, which you may still be replenishing after having your baby. The fat in these products is just fine, you just need to account for the calories. There are also so many different cuts of both that its easier to choose leaner cuts. Pork tenderloin, for example is fantastic and relatively low fat (compared to something like bacon or pork belly). Top sirloin is leaner than bottom sirloin. You can Google which cuts are leanest. Remember you DO need dietary fat - its good for your hormones and good for satisfying your hunger.

why does OP need to avoid carbs and sugar when she had identified no medical condition?????

I actually didn't see that, I fixed my post. I agree with you.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Thanks to those of you whom have focused on giving me good advice and not arguing against everyone else.

some of us are just trying to make sure that you get accurate information ..there is a lot of 'bro-science" being thrown around in here and following that kind of advice is not going to lead to long term sustainable results…

this tend to happen on MFP …. :)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I"m sure others have already said this, but you'll never lose weight by working out and "clean eating" alone. Both are great, but the only way to lose weight is to eat less calories than you burn. Based on what you've said, I'd wager you are eating a lot more than you think. Someone wise once said, "you get fit in the gym, but you lose weight in the kitchen". I learned the hard way myself that you can't lose weight by exercise alone. And I'm not even sure what clean eating is; different people define it differently. Believe it or not, you can lose weight on a diet of nothing but candy and french fries if you simply don't eat too much of them. Calories in/calories out is the ENTIRE formula.

Although...I don't recommend the candy and french fry diet if any kind of good health among your goals.

I love how you explained it.. but eating less than you burn.. wont make the body weak.. ???

Not sure I understand the question. Eating less than you burn is called a caloric deficit, which is required for weight loss.

Now, the deficit CAN make your body weak if the deficit is too large and your body can support the difference in energy stores that it already has.

how much deficit is required for weight loss.. based on only food intake..?? according to this site I need to consume 1200 cal (considering my fitness n weight loss goal i guess).. should I consume less than 1200 for shedding weight??
    No. If you're being given 1200 calories then more than likely, you have your weekly weight loss goal set too high. If you don't have more than 50 pounds to lose you shouldn't be trying to lose 2 pounds per week. Also, consider the fact that the calorie goal is "net calories". That means you should be eating at least some of the calories you burn in exercise above your daily goal; MFP will calculate this for you automatically.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »

No. If you're being given 1200 calories then more than likely, you have your weekly weight loss goal set too high. If you don't have more than 50 pounds to lose you shouldn't be trying to lose 2 pounds per week. Also, consider the fact that the calorie goal is "net calories". That means you should be eating at least some of the calories you burn in exercise above your daily goal; MFP will calculate this for you automatically.

Aslo, more than likely entered "sedentary" when in reality they aren't sedentary but "lightly active"
  • ndj1979
    Options

• Buy a scale.

Good Luck!!

sorry, thought you were agreeing with the whole post…

• Aditi1310
    Options
    603reader wrote: »

It's very unlikely that you need to consume as low as 1200 to begin with so don't reduce further.
    Please provide your stats: height, weight, age, gender, activity level, etc.

I am female, 20 yr old.. activity level based on this site is around 1790.. my weight is 57.90 kg but I have a belly fat and my lower body is on the heavier side.. I do gym ( Cardio + strength training; although can't lift much weight :P) and also I practice zumba workouts and body weight exercises at home.. sometimes I get lazy.. even tho my weight stays around 58 kg but my belly inches starts increasing.. :(
  • VeryKatie
    Options

• Buy a scale.

Good Luck!!

sorry, thought you were agreeing with the whole post…

No worries. I do tend to post first, read second haha.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

It's very unlikely that you need to consume as low as 1200 to begin with so don't reduce further.

I am female, 20 yr old.. activity level based on this site is around 1790.. my weight is 57.90 kg but I have a belly fat and my lower body is on the heavier side.. I do gym ( Cardio + strength training; although can't lift much weight :P) and also I practice zumba workouts and body weight exercises at home.. sometimes I get lazy.. even tho my weight stays around 58 kg but my belly inches starts increasing.. :(

Whats your height?
  • DestinyLittle
    Options

some of us are just trying to make sure that you get accurate information ..there is a lot of 'bro-science" being thrown around in here and following that kind of advice is not going to lead to long term sustainable results…

I understand (: I was not reffering to you! I was referring to the person who commented pretty much saying that everyone else was wrong except for them.
  • DestinyLittle
    Options
    I truly do aprechiate all of everyone's advice!
  • Aditi1310
    Options

What this website is saying is that in order to meet the weighloss goals that you entered you need to net 1200 calories. You probably entered in 2lbs per week, so the website did the calculation and shot out 1200 calories to meet that goal. It can be done through just eating 1200 calories, or eating 1800 calories and doing 600 calories worth of exercise.

As another poster noted, it is probably unlikely that you need to go that low to lose weight unless your quite small, have little to lose, are "older", or a combination of all. Ht/age/wt/activity stats would help us provide other tips.

Whats your height?

5'4''
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    bw_conway wrote: »
    Thanks everyone.
    I always thought losing weight was about eating healthy. I think everyone has this misconception at first.
    obviously I am new to the sight so I wanted to post and get advice. This is my first day logging, and I am buying a kitchen scale today.

I think that if you are being advised to eat a less-healthy diet in order to get healthier, that isn’t rational advice. Part of being a healthier person is having self-respect, which doesn’t entail shoveling garbage into your body as long as the garbage is within your macros / calorie parameters!

Define garbage.

yes, please define "garbage"….

It is up to the individual to define - hopefully without engaging in self-deception. Then again, there are a lot of times that I throw my definition of "garbage" on the curb and often someone comes by in an old truck and takes it. I'm sure if I talked to the guy in the truck he would stand out there and argue with me about why he didn't think it was garbage, but who has that kind of time?
  • ndj1979
    Options

I understand (: I was not reffering to you! I was referring to the person who commented pretty much saying that everyone else was wrong except for them.

well that happens to …

avoid the trolls :)

• Aditi1310
    Options

yeah.. My weight is within normal limits.. I am 20.. 5'4'' and my current weight is 57.90 kgs.. but I want to lose fat from my belly and lower body.. so I guessed 54 kgs should be my goal weight.. I am hesitant in going into completely strict diet.. where you only eat like steamed veggies and yogurt n stuff.. because I can't follow that kind of eating forever..