Looking for a good intermediate lifting program

Options
I have been lifting seriously for 10 months and have completed quite a few programs such as strong curves advanced and 3 Nia Shanks programs. I am looking for a new program for when I finish my current one in 2 weeks. I am looking for something that focuses on building strength using the big five plus maybe some accessory lifting in the hypertrophy range. I am considering eventually transitioning into power lifting. I am thinking of trying 531 but I would appreciate your suggestions and recommendations on intermediate level programs. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• jesiann2014
    jesiann2014 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I did Strong Curves and LOVED it. Moved on to the one-year Thinner Leaner Stronger progressive lifting routine by Michael Matthews. I'm really enjoying it, seeing and feeling some good results.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    The Cube Method, 5/3/1, Juggernaut Method 2.0 are definitely good intermediate programs, Westside For Skinny *kitten* Part 3 is pretty cool too (no chains or bands needed). If you do 5/3/1 make sure you get the "Beyond 5/3/1" ebook as there is much more there than in the original books. Jim website is full of good info as well. I've been doing 5/3/1 for almost 2 years now and I haven't used a template from the book in probably 6-months or more.
  • rgauthier20420
    rgauthier20420 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    OP, I began my 531 program today!!! Here it is:

Mon
    531 Bench
    3x10 ohp (50-60% of 531 max)
    3x10 triceps iso

Tues
    531 Squat
    3x10 rowing movement
    3x10 curls

Thurs
    531 ohp
    3x10 bench (50-60% of 531 max)
    3x10 rear delt movement (face pulls preferably)

Fri
    531 deads
    2-3 x 10 squats (50-60% of 531 max)
    3x10 chins

I got help from a fellow on BB.com who I thought was insightful and gave other great advice to another member I noticed (it seems like a bunch of mopes on that site comment a lot). I've got it programmed into my phone with 1 of the 531 apps so it's really great for tracking progress. This routine took about 25 minutes with 1:30-2:00 minute breaks between sets. So I might add 1 more isolation on each day because my time limit is around 35 minutes.

Good luck!
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I'm in the second month of Juggernaut. It's no joke, but I like it so far.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    TThanks I am checking out those programs. Westside does look interesting. I currently do a lot of cardio/conditioning classes so Juggernaut probably isn't for me because I don't really need to do more. So many choices !
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    i have been doing 5/3/1 for i think three years now and I need something new... anyone have other intermediate program suggestions?

I have done strong curves and 5/3/1 at the same time (obviously varied the strong curves) and am considering doing a version of 5x5 thats intermediate.

I am at either intermediate or advanced strength on all my lifts but seriously, deload week derails me all the time. I need new motivation.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    i have been doing 5/3/1 for i think three years now and I need something new... anyone have other intermediate program suggestions?

I have done strong curves and 5/3/1 at the same time (obviously varied the strong curves) and am considering doing a version of 5x5 thats intermediate.

I am at either intermediate or advanced strength on all my lifts but seriously, deload week derails me all the time. I need new motivation.

Have you looked at Ice Cream Fitness 5x5? Not sure if that qualifies, but I have done SL, 5/3/1, Juggernaut, and went to this because I wanted the full body workout of SL, but with a little extra.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Options

Why do you feel you need something new? Have you gotten the "Beyond 5/3/1" ebook? It adds some new concepts.

Why does deload week de-rail you? Jim changed the deload timing in the latest book but either way it should de-rail anything; if it does then it's something else.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »

Why do you feel you need something new? Have you gotten the "Beyond 5/3/1" ebook? It adds some new concepts.

Why does deload week de-rail you? Jim changed the deload timing in the latest book but either way it should de-rail anything; if it does then it's something else.

*It shouldn't de-rail anything.