Need suggstions for protein

Options
Balaru
Balaru Posts: 203 Member
According to the nutrition pie chart I'm not getting enough protein. Any suggestions?

Replies

• ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    eat more protein.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Meat
    Tuna
    Veggie burgers
    Cottage cheese
    Eggs

Those are my biggies. :)
  • rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    Seitan (fake meat made from wheat gluten) is my favorite source of lean protein.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt
    Chicken
    Tempeh
    Cottage Cheese
    Eggs
    Tuna
    Shrimp
    Ground Turkey

I use protein powder in my yogurt to make smoothies. I also will eat the Quest natural bars as they have a good amount of protein and fiber, and it beats the hell out of going to Wendy's in a pinch when I'm busy. We've also been keeping hard boiled eggs on hand.
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I will second the hard boiled egg-- it comes in its own little package (shell). Also I like to pan fry some tofu. Nuts --- although they can spike up the fat intake. Almonds.. Walnuts.. Brazils -- lots o minerals in there too.
  • charlesmauch
    charlesmauch Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Buy chicken! It's cheap per pound in comparison to other meats.

Yogurts, Cottage Cheese, Eggs (especially the whites).

Lentils are cheap. Other veggies to look out for are Black Eyed Peas, and Lima Beans. Just be aware that beans and legumes are considered incomplete proteins because they don't have some amino acids. Hubbard squash has a lot of protein I think too.

If you dislike the shakes, mix some protein powder into cooked oatmeal. Chocolate flavored protein oatmeal is kinda yum. When it comes to protein powder, use your imagination really.

Or if your lazy, just slam half of a shake before every meal. Shakes aren't terribly filling for more than an hour or so, but a pre-meal shake will curb your appetite quite a bit and keep you from overeating.
  • ithrowconfetti
    ithrowconfetti Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Tuna, eggs, tempeh, chicken.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Like others have said:

Meat of all kinds, leaner cuts will have more protein per calorie (all fish are also meat, and generally pretty lean)

Eggs and egg whites (I prefer whole eggs, but the whites have more protein per calorie)

Dairy

Beans

Tofu (technically soy is a kind of bean)

Meat substitutes (sometimes soy, sometimes other stuff, not my thing but some like them)

Protein powders or bars

There are small amounts in all kinds of foods including veggies and grains (gluten, for example). People often like quinoa since its a complete protein. These will add to you total but are hard to get significant amounts from unless you make an effort.
  • funchords
    funchords Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Good suggestions above...
    Balaru wrote: »
    According to the nutrition pie chart I'm not getting enough protein.
    If you are hitting your calorie goals, then another way to read this chart is that you're getting too many carbs and fat.

If that's you, then go back through and see if either carbs or fat are consistently over and make an exchange from something heavy in that kind of macro for something that is mainly protein. For example, many people on western diets eat too many carbs these days. Changing your fruit preserves to peanut butter drops some carbs and adds some fat and protein.
  • Balaru
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I feel like I'm back in school. Having to study all this to get it right. Got a 10 mile bike ride in yesterday and starting P90X tonight. I will get this right! One thing at a time. Last week I got serious and kept my calories within the limit and sometimes under. This week I will watch those carbs. Thanks again guys for guiding this newbie to the promised land. Lol
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Eggs
    Lunchmeat (if you don't mind the sodium)
    Cottage cheese
    String cheese
    Protein shakes
    Greek yogurt
    Chicken
    Peanut Butter
    Quinoa
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    rivka_m wrote: »
    Seitan (fake meat made from wheat gluten) is my favorite source of lean protein.

that just makes me sad reading it.

I eat
    chicken- Greek yogurt- handfuls of nuts via basic granola/nut bars- and eggs.

turkey- turkey breast though is got crazy protein. do it up- tis the season.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Did you set your own numbers for protein or are you going off what MFP set for you? If it's what MFP set, then you probably need even more than that.
  • Balaru
    Options
    I was using MFP numbers because this is all new to me.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    good rule of thumb is 0.8-1 gram per LEAN pound of mass.

You'll see people recommend eating your body weight in mass...

But if you want the real stripped down version-pretty much if you hit over 100 grams a day- you're money.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    good rule of thumb is 0.8-1 gram per LEAN pound of mass.

You'll see people recommend eating your body weight in mass...

But if you want the real stripped down version-pretty much if you hit over 100 grams a day- you're money.

What is a LEAN pound of mass? Is that everything except fat? So, if I know my approximate BF%, I subtract the BF weight from my total weight and then mutiply that by .8?
  • JoRocka
    Options
    yuppers
    which is why typically anything over 100 works.

you'll see people say 0.8- 1 per pound of mass... which often winds up being a lot- so for me that's 170.

If I take 25% body fat it works out to be like 42- so 128 grams.

For most people who don't eat a lot of protein- talking about eating the better part of 150 grams of protein sounds over whelming- if you can hit over 100 it's all gravy and for many people more mentally palatable.
  • rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    rivka_m wrote: »

that just makes me sad reading it.

I eat
    chicken- Greek yogurt- handfuls of nuts via basic granola/nut bars- and eggs.

turkey- turkey breast though is got crazy protein. do it up- tis the season.

Why? It's easy to fix and has a high protein content for the calories. Easy way to get more protein in my day.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Because anything that says fake meat makes me sad.