One day I'm going to bite my tongue clean off

Options
or my sweetly nodding head will just keep nodding until it falls off and rolls away

How do you deal with friends and colleagues telling you their latest weight-loss gimmick, fad, fool-proof way to lose x pounds in x days that they've just embarked upon without screaming 'it's just about calories' at them?

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    <and now I'm wondering how much a head weighs :blush:>
  • fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    You tell them that's awesome and wish them the best of luck
  • lewispwest
    lewispwest Posts: 498 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Yeah I'd never tell them not to bother, it's their own decision but I do find it funny. There are girls at work who are constantly buying dodgy weight loss pills off the internet or going for quick fix diets that will make them magically happy with themselves in a few weeks.

Just find it funny that they sit in a room with someone who lost 70lbs odd in 7 months doing the method they introduced him to, they should take their own advice and stick with MFP!
  • Abstraktimus
    Abstraktimus Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Wish them luck, if they ask me for advice I will give it but I'm not going to push something onto someone if they want to learn from their mistakes, it's their choice. People make weight loss harder than it needs to be!
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    it's sad that such a simple concept like weight loss has been hijacked and twisted by the fitness/supplement industry with all the *kitten* and smoke and mirrors and fad diets just designed make money off of peoples' ignorance, such a simple concept should be known by everybody, cals in-cals out should be taught in schools imo, would probably save billions on obesity down the road
  • rossinator63
    rossinator63 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Tell them it is a gimmick and then wish them luck.
  • Abstraktimus
    Options
    it's sad that such a simple concept like weight loss has been hijacked and twisted by the fitness/supplement industry with all the *kitten* and smoke and mirrors and fad diets just designed make money off of peoples' ignorance, such a simple concept should be known by everybody, cals in-cals out should be taught in schools imo, would probably save billions on obesity down the road

It's sad that people think they're being helped by the companies that are out there to make money off of people who are helpless and just don't have an idea where to start. You're right, educating people would be a much better step but of course, they wouldn't make half as much money from that.
  • cathiggs
    cathiggs Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    What sort of gimmick weight loss programmes do people hate the most? mine has to be the Cambridge diet! I just smile and nod and wish them luck before swifty walking away
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Seems like a reasonable response.

8FmNEau.gif

FYI:The average human head weighs 10 to 11 pounds. .
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Just smile and lead by example.
    I had some patients in that had lost a LOT of weight (her 100 and him 60). I said fantastic and asked how they did it and basically she started describing low carb (with some meal things she now sells), I stopped being interested at that point. I did however let her continue to talk and she was discussing how they were on some phase where they re-introduced carbs. I just smiled and nodded.
    I think its fantastic they lost all of that weight and regardless of how they chose to do it, it takes a TON of work to lose that much. The thing is, is long term, how well do fads work and what are the chances they keep the weight off? Here, we learn of a lifestyle change and how to eat in moderation.
    IN for CICO!
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options

It's sad that people think they're being helped by the companies that are out there to make money off of people who are helpless and just don't have an idea where to start. You're right, educating people would be a much better step but of course, they wouldn't make half as much money from that.

What is really sad about it is a lot of those people honestly believe that a gimmick is the only answer. I had a few people get mad at me for not having a product name or some sort of tip or trick as an answer to the question 'How did you lose weight?' Seriously, mad. One of my relatives, who has spent a substantial portion of her income on those sorts of things for decades now, was honestly convinced that I just didn't want to tell her the 'real' answer.

• mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

I thought it was "10 pounds of ugly fat"? :D At least it was when I was growing up...
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    I know someone who has a master's in wellness who still thinks he can exercise off the extra weight. I just nod and smile- well maybe when you were 25! But now that you're 50, nooooooo-- not unless you change the way you eat!! People just do not want to change how they eat, period. And they are soooooo impatient with weight loss.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Just like I do on here: "Best of luck, OP. *insert cat gif here*"
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    lol I got flagged, guess some people are easily offended.

Here is an interesting insight into fad diets.

Diet books; too many frankly. Most follow a fairly standard organization (the first chapter always explaining that YOUR FAT IS NOT YOUR FAULT) and, with very very few exceptions, most will tell you that ‘calorie restricted diets don’t work for weight loss’ and that whatever magic they are selling is the key to quick, easy (and of course permanent) weight loss.

Whether it’s insulin, dietary fat, the protein:carbohydrate or insulin:glucagon ratio, partitioning or whatever other bs, they will make it sound like caloric intake is not the key aspect in whether or not someone gains weight.

In almost all cases, the idea that food intake must be restricted in any fashion is dismissed; if it is mentioned it is generally as a short aside late in the book that nobody pays any attention to.

This is purely a psychological ploy; it sucks to have to consciously restrict food intake and this causes mental stress. Simply knowing that you can’t eat what you want when you want it blows; I hate it as much as the next person. Many people will feel hungrier simply because they know that they can’t eat what they want when they want it.

Yet the fundamental fact is that the body will NOT have any need to tap into stored body fat unless the individual is burning more calories than they are taking in. Of course this means that either energy expenditure has to go up, caloric intake has to go down, or both have to occur.

So how can these books make this claim? It’s simple: they all hide basic caloric restriction in whatever they happen to be proposing. Basically, this is Lyle’s Rule #1 of Diet books:

All diet books tell you that you won’t have to restrict calories, and then trick you into doing it anyway.

All of the rules, the food combining, the elimination of carbs, the elimination of fat, don’t eat XXX at all (where XXX is something that contributes a lot of calories to the diet), don’t eat YYY after 6pm (where YYY is something people tend to overeat in the evenings), etc. are all just ways of tricking people into eating less without having to think about it.

Source: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/all-diets-work-the-importance-of-calories.html/
  • Abstraktimus
    Options
    sheepotato wrote: »

What is really sad about it is a lot of those people honestly believe that a gimmick is the only answer. I had a few people get mad at me for not having a product name or some sort of tip or trick as an answer to the question 'How did you lose weight?' Seriously, mad. One of my relatives, who has spent a substantial portion of her income on those sorts of things for decades now, was honestly convinced that I just didn't want to tell her the 'real' answer.

How dare you withhold the secret of weight loss, you horrible person you!!
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I know someone who has a master's in wellness who still thinks he can exercise off the extra weight. I just nod and smile- well maybe when you were 25! But now that you're 50, nooooooo-- not unless you change the way you eat!! People just do not want to change how they eat, period. And they are soooooo impatient with weight loss.

There's really no reason why a person can't exercise off the extra weight, even at fifty. What usually happens is that people feel justified in eating more when they exercise more. But if a person were to exercise more without changing their diet, they would lose weight. Age has nothing to do with that, other than the 50 year old body is more prone to injury and doesn't recover as quickly.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Ooh oooh! :waves hand obnoxiously in the air, Hermione-style:

I just heard this on NPR yesterday. Your head weighs approximately 12 lbs, but when held at an angle such as we use to look down at our cell phones, it puts 60 lbs of pressure on our neck vertebrae. (This was a story about newly-appearing injuries due to cell phone use.)

I have a friend at work who admires my weight loss but turns to diet pills when she gets desperate. I have a friend online who has recently started a Beach Body program. Both are means to an end, and only the user can determine how effective those means are. I can't tell them what will be the catalyst to change for them, I only know what works for me. I didn't require pills, shakes, cleanses or fasts, but who's to say what will help someone else?
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Options

Well said.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I've been hearing all sorts of things from people lately. Most common seem to be clean eating and gluten free. Those are not necessarily bad, but won't lead to weight loss if you still overeat on them.

I've gotten loads of the "how have you done it?" followed by disappointed expressions when I say "calorie counting & exercise". People just want a magic solution that doesn't involve hard work and dedication.