Experience w/ Leangains ?

Options
I figure this is a good place to ask this, seeing as the Leangains approach is really as much about training and results as it as a dietary approach to achieve those results.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone has any personal experience or feedback of trying the Leangains approach, as its something I've been curious about in the past, and currently dabbling in a little 16:8 intermittent fasting :smile:

If you used it and got results, I would be curious as to what approach you took towards intake and meal scheduling, as well as where your starting point was, where you go to, and how long it took :smile: Equally, if you gave it a decent shot and decided against continuing along the Leangains path, I would be curious as to your experience and any conclusions you drew :smile:

Slight disclaimer: I'm really looking for feedback from those who've tried this, and given it a decent shot. If you've tried one of the other fasting-training protocols and wish to contribute, please do so by all means :smile:

Replies

• icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    No Leangains folks ? :smile:
  • allie_00p
    allie_00p Posts: 280 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I've been doing Leangains for just under two months and it works well for me (I do 14:10). I'm not especially hungry in the mornings anyway and honestly I was just so tired of eating CONSTANTLY, especially when the pressure is on at work.

It took my body about 3-4 weeks to fully adjust to it, I plateaued hardcore for 2 or 3 weeks - but I think it was just bloating because once I adjusted to it, the weightloss caught up with me. I weighed daily & this is what it looked like:
    71jtd4kl8u0u.png
    ETA: I generally eat a lunch-size meal to break my fast, snack throughout the day, then my largest meal is at the end of the day. My intake is the same number of calories it would be if I wasn't doing IF (right now about TDEE-15%)

• icrushit
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Thanks for your feedback :smile: I'm almost definitely sure I'm going to give it a shot next week, starting Monday (tomorrow) :smile:

My plan thus far has been to break into it slowly, so this last week has been spent confining my first meals of the day until after midday, as that was the hardest part of adhering to such an approach for me. I've done that, and shall kick on with incorporating the fasted training next, although I want to get in some BCAA's fairly quickly, as I'd like to try the approach as Martin outlines, before I try to tailor any of it too much.

I'm not sure what calorie levels I shall start at, but am just coming off a short (10 day) dietary break, where I've been eating at maintenance, and think I shall just focus on eating at maintenance or less on training days, and keeping to some form of deficit on non-training days. As such, I think I shall see where my intake levels settle over the first week or two, and go from there if I feel they need to be changed/ amended slightly.

I also want to incorporate the carb cycling on training days, and low-carb on non-training days, although not too worried about that element, as I spent 3 of the last 5 months eating low carb. In fact I think it shall be more difficult to keep the fat intake down on training days, lol.

Anyway, just some thoughts, and looking forward to giving the LG method a shot. I figure its a good 4 weeks to go before Christmas is on top of me, so looking forward to seeing how this little experiment goes :smile:

Any other LG'ers, would be delighted to hear from you. Maybe you're a scarce bunch here on MFP ? I thought not, giving the religious-like edict of weight training here on MFP :wink: :smiley:
  • icrushit
    Options
    Actually just noticing BCAA's aren't necessary if going with one of protocols that involves training in the pm as opposed to the am. Will try out the one pre-workout meal protocol, with training between the first and second meal, and see how it goes. At least I can start straight away, and not worry about getting some BCAA's in quickly before I can start :smile:
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    If you used it and got results, I would be curious as to what approach you took towards intake and meal scheduling, as well as where your starting point was, where you go to, and how long it took

Hi, I guess I can pitch in a little bit.
    Brief background: I'm 44 and have been lifting since I was a teenager, with varying degrees of cluelessness. I'm always more or less fit but have never been huge, and have never juiced.

I did 16:8 for probably a month or so. However, I wasn't really tracking calories, but eating TDEE-ish on rest days. I also got into carb-cycling at the same time, post-lifting. The result was that all my lifts went up which was cool, but I also put on about 7-8 pounds. A fair amount of fat, and I was eating way too much. I'd never paid much attention to post-exercise nutrition beyond a protein shake or something, so serious caloric-surplus eating was a revelation.

BUT! Gained too much fat because my intake was unregulated, so I had no idea what I was eating or should be. That was dumb. I stopped all that, and committed to strict calorie counting for the long haul. Hence, why I am here.

My schedule: I went through a bottle of BCAA and tried fasted lifting but didn't like it much. Later on, I would eat something and then go lift. I couldn't tell a difference from the BCAAs and have not bought another bottle.
    Equally, if you gave it a decent shot and decided against continuing along the Leangains path, I would be curious as to your experience and any conclusions you drew

I've dropped 16:8 and switched to a 5:2, full day fasting routine. My days are like this:
    day 1: weights
    day 2: sprints
    day 3: fasting, long walk
    repeat

Why I dropped it: with the leangains, I'd sit around being hungry for a significant portion of the day, every day, which got really old. I'd much rather have my hungry day be all at once and get it over with and get the benefits of autophagy.
    I don't believe that there's a real benefit to particular meal timing in relation to exercise stuff besides face-stuffing after a lift, which is effective.

So, in summary: I like IF but much prefer the 5:2 implementation.
  • icrushit
    Options
    Interesting thoughts, feisty, thanks for taking the time to share them :smile:

I've actually put the Leangains experiement on hold for the moment, as it appears I over-extended myself and was trying to play around with things too much. For the moment I am focussing on getting back to consistently eating a deficit (for some reason I seem to have hit a wall in the last month, perhaps the colder weather..), and once back on an even keel, shall look to kick on with my loftier goals :smile:
  • feisty_bucket
    Options
    Cool, it's easier to play with one variable at a time and come to a conclusion. Then move on to the next.
    No matter what I mess with, calorie tracking is the bedrock everything sits on for me.
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    I've dabbled with the Leangains protocol and had some success with it. I'm a big eater, by nature, so the "feeding" after the 16 hours worked well for me. I also eat mostly Paleo so the higher healthy fat/protein helped keep me from overeating as I often had the full feeling after my first meal.

I use the BCAA's as I was usually training at 4am and eating my first meal at noon.

My basic compound lifts went through the roof training fasted.

In my personal opinion, I think this protocol is more of a "lean man's" program than someone who needs to shed a ton of weight.
  • feisty_bucket
    edited December 2014
    Options
    BR1986FB wrote: »
    In my personal opinion, I think this protocol is more of a "lean man's" program than someone who needs to shed a ton of weight.

Yeah, I think you're right. It's probably most useful as a recomp strategy.

This study has me rethinking my opinion of daily IF routines though:
    salk.edu/news/pressrelease_details.php?press_id=2062http://

When I did 16:8 before, I wasn't seriously tracking calories so I think I should revisit it (now, with strict tracking). Been reading a bunch today, and my thinking so far is that I may try:

To continue my cut:
    * full 24-hour fasts twice a week
    * 16:8 on regular days at TDEE levels

For maintenance/recomp:
    * full 24-hour fast once a week
    * 16:8 on regular days with CBL (carb backloading) to re-eat missing calories from the fast day, post-lifting

So my TDEE is about 2000 cals. With one daily 24-hour fast in a week, that gives me a deficit of 2k. If I lift twice a week, I should be eating an extra ~1000 calories after each weight session.

That's CBL. To do carb-cycling, it'd be similar but lower than TDEE on regular days, TDEE+ on lifting days. Though I think I prefer the CBL idea.
  • icrushit
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Interesting thoughts, and finding reading about the carb-backloading thing interesting too. I think there's a lot bundled into Martins Leangains system, and I must say I'm enjoying learning more about the dynamics of fat loss and muscle building by digging into what makes the system work.

It will be some point in the new year before it's opportune to potentially give Leangains a proper shot, and the time between now and then shall be enjoyable I think, as I spend it educating myself a little more.

Whatever way I do decide to go in the new year, I think it shall definitely be with regard to adopting some elements, and it's very much enjoyable delving into things and figuring out the nuances behind how and why those elements work :smile:

The carb backloading I find interesting, and it seems the best time for a hefty meal is post-workout, as well as a good time to include some junk for the potential testosterone/ hgh boost factor, before a good nights sleep to maximise rebuilding and recovery.

If you've any good CBL links you care to share Feisty, I'd welcome them :smile:
  • icrushit
    Options
    Been a while since I updated this thread, but now I'm back on an even keel, it seems a good time to do so :smile:

In any event, I've been observing a 16:8 fast for the last 10 days or so (w/ the exception of yesterday dues to circumstances). In that short space of time, I've found I really enjoy IF an awful lot, but perhaps that may be a lot to do with my chosen flavour of IF which aside from the 16:8 fast, involves eating my daily calories split between two wonderfully large meals :smile:

In any event, for the first time I feel in control of my intake, and also for the first time in 2 months I'm able to maintain a persistent deficit to help see out the remainder of my fat loss phase.

Before talking of Leangains though, I will also add that in addition to the 16:8 each day, I also plan to do a 24 hour fast once a week, much like Feisty above.

Anyway, to Leangains :smile: It's only been a short period in, but a few days after trying and feeling on top of the IF component, I began to add further Leangains components. Namely morning training, more carbs on workout days, less on non-workout days, and also a brief flirtation with fasted training.

It's only fair to say I haven't been following Martin's system like a gospel, but rather a source of inspiration. Thus my protein is lower (more in the 1g per lb of lbm range), I eat more fat on workout days (although still up the carbs over what I eat normally), and on lower carb days my tendency is to eat very low carb for meal 1, and then eat 'normally' for meal 2 (ie moderate fat, moderate carbs, moderate protein).

I will also say I'm not calorie cycling, and my intake most days whether a workout day or not tends to be the same. I will wait to calorie cycle when I move into a bulk or recomp phase though. Right now, I'm happy to stabilise my intake, and don't want to risk adherence to things by cutting my calories more on non-workout days yet.

Anyway, what I have tried I like a lot. Much is down to the IF component right now, but the other components I like also, in the limited way I have incorporated them thus far.

It's too early to talk results, but this is a path I am likely to keep to, and shall see how things go over time, especially when/if I get to a level of body fat that is neither lean nor overweight, so I can see properly how things are working out.

I agree with the comment that Leangains is probably a lean mans protocol, but that is no slight, rather that there is some complication in there that only those leaner folks may need. For the rest of us using it for fat loss, I think there's a lot in there that's perfectly good and useable, particularly the IF component, and that of less carbs on non-workout days and more carbs on days that you do workout. Also, the potential boost in growth hormone levels from the IF and fasted training may be very welcome to those of us seeking to drop the lbs but that also wish to minimise any skin issues. Equally adherence-wise, the smaller eating window/ potentially larger meals should help, as well as the carb loading element where you can fit in carbs on workout days that you may have otherwise avoided/ limited and thus limit the potential for some cravings.

So, the above is just my experience so far, and look forward to continuing with this experiment and see how it goes. Also, it goes without saying, the more experienced I get in the above, and also the closer I get to my fat loss goal, the more adherent/ stricter to some of the elements of Martins protocols I may become.
  • tephanies1234
    tephanies1234 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Did Leangains IF back in 2012 on my first weight loss journey. Lost 15 lbs before I started Leangains. Didn't lose any weight after I started lifting heavy and fasting. I was bouncing around 5 lbs higher but losing inches everywhere on my body on a weekly basis! I liked eating like that a lot and continued in that matter ever since, but I don't force myself to fast if I just can't one day. You just get days like that. I remember that it's more about being flexible in eating, not about eating at specific times. Also, I'm thinking now that I'm on this weight loss journey again that I was calculating my burn too high from my workouts back then and that was the main cause for not seeing weight drop at the time....but I lost inches so I don't know. I'm female so it probably won't apply to you. I did see a lot of newbie gains weightlifting too. I got to 1.3x my body weight in deadlifts over threeish months and 1x my body weight in back squats. I also cycled carbs and protein like you.
  • icrushit
    Options
    Thanks for your experience Tephanies - can I ask what was your daily intake like, did you eat at maintenance/ cycle calories ? :smile:
  • tephanies1234
    tephanies1234 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Cycled calories but eating at deficit overall to lean up. So on rest days it would be lower like 1200-1400 and on workout days a bit higher. I worked out about 4 days a week. I also found that doing 16+ hours of fasting regularly lead to thinking about food a lot...which can lead to binging later on, so now I do more of the 14/10 recommended for women. I eat a late break-fast unless I'm busy at work and times flies by without noticing. It's important to keep busy!
  • icrushit
    Options
    Yes, definitely agree about the importance of keeping busy, and think fasting and simply getting things done seem to work very well hand in hand together :smile:

I'd heard 14:10 might be more suitable for some women alright, and think it's best to find what rhythm works best for each of us. I was doing 14:10 most of the time up to recently mostly as a way to make sure I could stretch out the calories a little better over the course of the day, and also ensure I kept any late night eating in check by imposing an 8pm cutoff, lol.

Aside from IF, I found eating 3 or more times a day seemed to keep the focus never too far from food over the course of the day. Right now, I'm eating 2 large meals a day with no snacking, and finding it's been offering me a tremendous freedom from food, and all the thoughts and focus that can go along with it. Also it's a lot easier to stave off any glancing thoughts of food when you still have quite a full belly from the last large meal, or knowing that in just a short space of time a large meal awaits, lol. I'm sure the 2 meal approach is not for everyone, but I'm finding for me it has been working quite well so far.

I must say I like the simplicity of the whole system for me currently, and if it keeps going this well I may decide in the future to stop logging food, and simply let things fall where they may, knowing that if I keep to the blueprint that whether I'm eating enough to lose fat, maintain, or add some weight, that my body composition will improve regardless of what's reflected on the scales. To calorie cycle ala LG though, I think I would have to treat the non-workout days as low carb days to be able to keep my calorie level lower on those days.

Lots of food for thought, and looking forward to the experiment continuing as well as it has started :smile:
  • MissChriss_
    MissChriss_ Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Good news for Leangains followers, the first scientific research on 16/8 fasting style proves its effectiveness.

Source - http://www.eatstopeat.org/introduction-to-the-leangains-method/