• miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    Most people like my big words.
  • grantwashere
    grantwashere Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    The internet is one of the few refuges I have left to express the full breadth of my vocabulary.

I like breadth but only if it has lots of butter on it.
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    I don't know what the word apathy means and I don't care!

My Dad asked me if I was oblivious or just apathetic. I told him I don't know, and I don't care.

tumblr_liy0lmoKqb1qany1co1_500.gif
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    .....we need some emoticons that specifically denote "this is a joke" or something
  • sseqwnp
    sseqwnp Posts: 327 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I am disinclined to aquiesce to your request.

Hey now - one should eschew grandiose nomenclature when application of a diminutive lexicon is sufficient.
  • MaxPower0102
    MaxPower0102 Posts: 2,654 Member
    Options
    Emoticons, schmoticons. More hippos!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    steal-hippo-poop.jpg
  • artemis222
    artemis222 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I feel like this is the same type of person who told me to not "speak so smartly" at my old job, and that I should dumb it down for the self proclaimed "dumber" people.

Because, you know, to advance your understanding of communication is OBVIOUSLY beyond your means. I shouldn't be so thoughtless. :/
  • shreddedtrooper
    shreddedtrooper Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    "we are not preschool toys, we can read"

Someone call the waa-mbulance haha.

I definitively and most wholeheartedly appreciate the comments. It is only via exposure and practice that the English language can be saved, but for those that cannot go ahead and buy word-a-day toilet paper and perhaps then the teaching can begin! :)

I'm with the majority on this one; use a dictionary whether it be online or ask questions. If you are clearly not trolling someone will answer and "support you on your journey."

Reminds me though, "glycogen storage capacity and de novo lipogeneiss during massive carbohydrate overfeeding in man" Great article!

Abstract: approx ~ 15 g/kg body weight and about ~ 500 g bfore net lipid synthesis contributes to increasing body fat mass.

note: better bring your dictionary as this is a medical study/article haha.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Immensus sesquipedalian!
  • SwashBlogger
    SwashBlogger Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    The only "dumb" person is one who does not immediately say "I don't know that word. Give me a moment to look it up, or could you give me a quick definition?" I LOVE language, and am constantly looking things up. Ever see the split second look that crosses someone's face when you use a word that is not familiar to them? I'd never fault a person for not knowing something. But when you fail to have the curiosity to ask, you lose me.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    The only "dumb" person is one who does not immediately say "I don't know that word. Give me a moment to look it up, or could you give me a quick definition?" I LOVE language, and am constantly looking things up. Ever see the split second look that crosses someone's face when you use a word that is not familiar to them? I'd never fault a person for not knowing something. But when you fail to have the curiosity to ask, you lose me.

I suggest you look up "irony", "sarcasm" and "humour" then ;)
  • SwashBlogger
    SwashBlogger Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    oh gosh. I see what you did there. You must be a genius.
  • Alatariel75
    Options
    No, I just have a sense of humour and can pick a joke thread when I see one. Especially when it has multiple pages of hippopotamus pics :)
  • laurasuzie3
    laurasuzie3 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I find this thread rather supererogatory.
  • Alatariel75
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I find this thread rather supererogatory.

And the schadenfreude is quite felicitous!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Ummmm...I work in education and people use big words all the time. Not to intimidate, but because their educational experience and knowledge allows them to express themselves with a larger vocabulary.

The issue here is that people FEEL intimidated or dumb because they don't know what a word means. Get over it and ask what it means or look it up. It is a great learning opportunity.
  • mikeshockley
    mikeshockley Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I aschew antidisestablishmentarianism.

I shan't propogate on the matter any further.